rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Ash

State of Decay

Looks like another DayZ clone, be interested to know what it's like.

Obviously it has similarities with DayZ and even Zombi U but a clone would probably be the wrong term.

Looks good this, I'm intending to buy it later.

Looks like another DayZ clone, be interested to know what it's like.

It looks to play nothing like Day Z. IGN did some short Let's Play videos of it, which look very interesting (and a little bit janky in terms of movement controls and the like, but I literally don't care about that myself).

• Downvote 1

Just watched that video, it's really similar to DayZ, the way the characters are dressed, free roaming large maps, alerting zombies, making more noise when running, searching backpacks, looting items, inventory, exploring buildings are all the same. It's been tailored to a single player experience so they've added NPCs and added a few details of their own, but they clearly want this to be the console version of DayZ. They've even said that if it does well they're planning an MMO version,

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, it looks fun, DayZ certainly doesn't own any zombie game rights but this is pretty close to it.

I never played DayZ so this will be my first venture into an open world zombie game.

I'm expecting good things, the IGN review has me moist in the gusset.

Also - permadeath! That should really give the game a peek round every corner feel. I'll post back with some thoughts tonight.

If it's good hopefully they'll get a bunch of sales from all the Xbox owning PC players who are gagging for the release of the DayZ Standalone, it should get some good internet coverage that's for sure.

love the demo so going to drop for this I reckon (I am a zombie game junkie)

the engine is a bit shoddy in places. It reminds me of ZombiU but it isnt as atmospheric or claustrophobic but then its open world. The zombies however are dangerous and there is stamina. It also reminds me of Dead Island but better (so far) with base building etc and resource management.

very nice work and well worth dropping 13 quid on or whatever 1600 moonpoints is

Edit - quick question for those in demo I will spoil but its very very early on

got to church and its dark so knwo ti is more dangerous at night so thought Id sleep til morning, sleep is mentioned elsewhere. But I cant seem to do that? not in the bedrooms anyway? anyone else managed to rest?

Had a quick go of the demo and it looked to have some quite nice deep gameplay. Good atmosphere although pretty rough as hinted at in previews etc. will probably pick it up at the weekend. Feels like its crying out for co-op play.

Hmmm yeah, I really liked the idea of it, but the demo feels a little rough. With The Last of Us out next week, I don't think, as Apocalypses go, this will stand up.

Started playing this earlier. I like it a lot. I'm still only a thirty or forty minutes into it- still the 'tutorial' stage, haven't even reached the city yet, just buggering around in the woods. Yeah, it looks a bit rough and glitchy (at one point I was climbing a water tower and the guy with me started climbing around the same time, and our bodies merged into some weird Human Centipede tribute) - but even in the early stages there's enough tension creeping through bushes, trying to sneak past or getting the drop on zombies...

It reminds me a bit of SOS : The Final Escape for some reason- just that slight rough and ready feel to it.

Started playing this earlier. I like it a lot. I'm still only a thirty or forty minutes into it- still the 'tutorial' stage, haven't even reached the city yet, just buggering around in the woods. Yeah, it looks a bit rough and glitchy (at one point I was climbing a water tower and the guy with me started climbing around the same time, and our bodies merged into some weird Human Centipede tribute) - but even in the early stages there's enough tension creeping through bushes, trying to sneak past or getting the drop on zombies...

Yeah I thought the Zombies werent too much of a hardship and then fairly early on in the tutorial area I got caught out by 6 zombies used a gun (bad idea) attracted alot more managed to kill them but the two guys I was with came off pretty badly and I cant switch to them anymore which is a pain. And I havent even tried a zombie horde or infestation yet.

only about an hour in and already loving it - its def a GTA/Dayz/Zombieu hybrid (actually its kinda what the shit fest that warz was promised to be but then fecked it completely up -only single player), nice big enouhg map to explore, and i really dig the zombies in it by themselves easy enough to take out (as long as your quiet) but once a pack is on you just run for it. fav bit so far using a tree to knock of Z'ds that were clinging on to car. yeah its buggy but kinda adds to its charm in a strange way.

This is actually pretty bloody good... its definitely got an initial Dead Rising: Case Zero feel to it, which gives it extra bonus points in my book.

Yes some of the graphics and controls could be better but in terms of actual gameplay it seems to have all the right elements of a really good survival game. Will be interesting to see how it improves/suffers during prolonged play.

I initally wasnt going to bother with it, seeing as The Last of Us is right around the corner.. but figure each game should give a different enough experience to both warrant a purchase.

• Upvote 1

Enjoyed what I have played of this so far, despite it being janky as hell to be honest. I wish you could turn that hideous HUD off though. I don't need it, and its constant reminder of what I'm supposed to be doing next.

Quick question about the near start of the game. Could I have

saved the people in the main cabin thing if I had boarded up the windows before doing the small mission they asked me to do?

This is actually pretty bloody good... its definitely got an initial Dead Rising: Case Zero feel to it, which gives it extra bonus points in my book.

Yes some of the graphics and controls could be better but in terms of actual gameplay it seems to have all the right elements of a really good survival game. Will be interesting to see how it improves/suffers during prolonged play.

I initally wasnt going to bother with it, seeing as The Last of Us is right around the corner.. but figure each game should give a different enough experience to both warrant a purchase.

Good post..I was thinking the same about the reference to Case Zero. This game looks rough as hell but I am loving the sense of freedom it give you.

I got to the part where you get the pickup truck, bombed it over the broken bridge with four or five zombies clawing at the windows, fudge the jump, end up in the ravine below, zeds have a feast, game over.

Love this game.

Quick question about the near start of the game. Could I have

saved the people in the main cabin thing if I had boarded up the windows before doing the small mission they asked me to do?

Boarding up doesn't help as I tried that myself.. However think it's possible to atleast save one of the injured survivors. Think you need to find a crate of medicine before you finish the first few missions.. .atleast that's what the "failed mission" update that i got implied.

Really looking forward to getting stuck back into this tonight.