rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
The Mighty Ash

State of Decay

Destroy my gems?

I'm happy waiting for the PC release, hopefully with all the bugs ironed out. Reading this thread is making it god damn hard mind. Damn hard.

Ok best game moment so far - (very minor spoilers if you've played less than 30 minutes into the mission probably)

Just finished the siege at the Wilkersons (?) farm with the doc, etc, which was in itself awesome, racing back into town in my clapped out rally car which is the most fun thing I've found to drive so far, but was already smoking before I left for the drive out to the farm. Plough through a horde of zombies in the middle of nowhere and flames start coming out of the car. Now obviously I'm thinking it's about to explode GTA style - I don't really know what's going to happen it's the first time I've killed a car - so I get out, and notice on the map the horde are running towards me - this is when I learn for the first time that the horde can run faster than you (considerably) if you aren't sprinting (not even sure my max sprint was outpacing them by that much..) I decide I'm fucked as the farmhouse siege ate all my ammo and I broke my melee weapon. Praise the zombie game lord when I see another farmhouse on the horizon and through judicious management of the sprint/rest dynamic get to a brand spanking new saloon car literally just as the horde descend on me (joined by seemingly hundreds more pouring out of the farmhouse as they hear me running up to it) and just manage to pull away with a load of them hanging on, and drive off heading for home.

• Upvote 2

A few things -

Do the cars run out of petrol? I haven't seen any indication of it yet, but one of the characters mentioned petrol as being scarce.

Can I take people with me on missions, scavenging etc? Seems like this is an obvious thing to do, but when I head out none of my buddies follow me from the church, and I don't see an option to tell them to.

Don't think they do, but they are flimsy. I've trashed far too many already and have started to take a bit more care with them.

I've radioed for help (press down on the d-pad for options) but the number of times this is available is limited per day. Not sure if you can take others with you. It'd be useful when scouting to have back-up.

I'm worried about turning my game back on tonight, now. I am holed up in the church, things seemed to be going okay. I'm getting a bit overwhelmed by new missions, but aside from that I am coping.

Should I wait until it's patched to turn it on?

What is the patch supposed to fix? I haven't run into any issues I don't think, except for the glitchy graphics.

Ok, shit, Mia just died. As in she is actually dead. Ok, I've been playing permadeath MUDs for years, I can handle this.

Except now I apparently only have one guy (the main character) to control - and he's "hurt" - I thought he needed to rest to heal up but apparently now he's my only guy, I can't rest. Hmm.

Also where do I get materials from? Presumably I need to scavenge them but I've checked a good number of the buildings near the church and haven't found any "materials" yet (a few food dumps though).

Everyone is pretty unhappy because there are so many "infestations" around apparently, but i don't want to risk going to have a look at getting rid of them while I've only got one, injured guy and very little ammo.

Shit there's a zombie in the church compound. How the hell did he get it?

Also: Stealth kills don't appear to work - shame as they would be very handy. At least, I've never got it to do anything - maybe I haven't got the range right? Pressing Y + LB as the prompt suggests, results in me shouting "Hey ! over here!" which is pretty much the opposite of what I have wanted to happen, and has got me into trouble every time I tried it so far.

You must be doing something wrong. Stealth kills definitely work. Hold down LB a fraction of a second first and then the Y button. Need to be crouching as well -right behind them.

Materials can be found in places like building sites or warehouses. There's a half finished house just down the road from the church that has them. If you can't carry all the materials back you can radio for scavengers to come pick up the rest of the stuff.

If you're low on ammo try having a look around in the gun shop. Although I've never used guns - too noisy- but usually keep one around just in case some weird special zombie attacks my guy.

The patch fixes the ability of playable characters to die when your game is switched off, and also the infestations bug where your group gets all depressed and sad about too many infestations across the world map- post-patch it's just ones within 500m of the home.

Can I take people with me on missions, scavenging etc? Seems like this is an obvious thing to do, but when I head out none of my buddies follow me from the church, and I don't see an option to tell them to.

You can't get buddies to follow you on missions which is a real shame and you can ask people to just come and follow you. But if someone is depressed and needs to go for a walk and kill zombies with you (which comes up as a recurring side mission), rather than take them to the designated location you can drive around with them, clearing out infestations, looting for supplies, pretty much anything which isn't mission based. So it's a cheap workaround, not ideal, but effective enough.

Yes I've got some chick following me around now, I'm hoping that by showing her a good time killing zombies she might become my friend? and become playable, because my main character is in need of a rest quite badly.

Just found that half-finished house and am building a medical centre with them, which is what I've wanted for a while, to try and stop my guy being hurt.

A lot of the random side missions have you working with a fellow survivor too, mainly the 'clear out an infestation' ones. Calling in the SWAT guys is pretty fun when you are able to do that.

I use guns a lot, especially with silencers. As the silencer usually wears out very quickly, it does mean you can end up fighting like 30 zombies at once, of course. Which is fun!

@Anne: to get material locations, access your journal and then go to the map of your home. If you select the radio tower you get options to send out a signal for the whereabouts of materials (or food, meds, survivors).

So my main guy died. He was leveled ridiculously higher than all the rest in the main things. i think I'd been overusing him a bit even though the game is obviously designed to dissuade you from overusing any particular character (which is why you can't sleep!) Pretty gutted tbh.

One thing I haven't worked out yet, now I realise the main (starting) character wasn't a main character at all but just another guy, is who does the reputation that everything is based around belong to? Is it like the group's reputation as a collective?

Yeah, you kind of accrue it as a collective even though you're sometimes addressed as the leader no matter which character you're controlling ( which remarks like 'you've been doing such a good job you can have your pick of the weapons' ) and you're the only one who ever spends the reputation points.

Played this really intensely over the weekend, must have put about 20 hrs into it or so before deciding to finish the game. With everything I've learned though I'm looking forward to starting a new game. It's fucking brilliant.

I can only dream of a PC version with mod support *drools* I'll definitely be double dipping on this.

building sites are good for construction materials. That includes buildings like the big block of flats/shops in the biggest town which was being refurbished.

Also if you dont know where to find any just to go to the home option in the menu (dpad down) and get Lily to seek some out for you. Takes about 9mins in realtime and marks it on the map. But typical place like Construction Sites, Industrial Supplies etc will find you materials too.

I can't figure out how to make Lilly look. Is it "send scavengers" or is that for when you have too much to carry back to base? There doesn't seem to be any garages nearby, just houses. They've told me we should find a new house now anyway.

Glad I gave this another look after the underwhelming demo. It's one of the most uncomfortable games I've played in ages, at least so far. I imagine it gets a bit easier to manage once you understand the mechanics but for now I'm wondering around doing what I can.

Had an incredible moment earlier, where a horde was sat outside a room I was headed for. I went in, shut the door, and picked up the rucksack I was after. I then realised I'd done something incredibly stupid and the door slammed open. I elbowed my way out but found myself utterly surrounded. Panicing, I smashed the attack button as I watched my health deteriorate. Suddenly I jumped and shimmied my way over the wall next to me, no less than ten zombies grabbing for me. I remembered that I'd parked a good hundred metres away. As I ran my stamina quickly diminished with the bag on my back. I popped painkillers just in time to save me once, then once more. I realised the bag was holding me back and left it behind, finally giving me enough weight off my back to get the stamina needed. I got in the car with a zombie hanging off the back, before slamming him into a tree stump. My heart was pounding.

None of the that would have been even half as exciting without the chance of permadeath. I love games that have actual consequences.

I can't figure out how to make Lilly look. Is it "send scavengers" or is that for when you have too much to carry back to base? There doesn't seem to be any garages nearby, just houses. They've told me we should find a new house now anyway.

Wait shit sorry, maybe it's up on the DPad. Whichever one it is to bring up your inventory and you can RB across to the Home menu.

Glad I gave this another look after the underwhelming demo. It's one of the most uncomfortable games I've played in ages, at least so far. I imagine it gets a bit easier to manage once you understand the mechanics but for now I'm wondering around doing what I can.

Had an incredible moment earlier, where a horde was sat outside a room I was headed for. I went in, shut the door, and picked up the rucksack I was after. I then realised I'd done something incredibly stupid and the door slammed open. I elbowed my way out but found myself utterly surrounded. Panicing, I smashed the attack button as I watched my health deteriorate. Suddenly I jumped and shimmied my way over the wall next to me, no less than ten zombies grabbing for me. I remembered that I'd parked a good hundred metres away. As I ran my stamina quickly diminished with the bag on my back. I popped painkillers just in time to save me once, then once more. I realised the bag was holding me back and left it behind, finally giving me enough weight off my back to get the stamina needed. I got in the car with a zombie hanging off the back, before slamming him into a tree stump. My heart was pounding.

None of the that would have been even half as exciting without the chance of permadeath. I love games that have actual consequences.

I had a death that made me shake my head. I thought I'd be funny and take on one of the big fat zombies, but got far too clever for my own good and ran out of stamina. He picks me up, chews on my neck for a bit and without a thought ripped me in half. I sat their agasp and then started laughing :lol:

The fat bastards are indeed bastards. Seem to absorb stupid amounts of attacks sometimes before going down.

I'm debating whether to move house or not now. People seem fairly keen that we do it soon although I'm not really sure why as our church seems safe enough. Is it just to make it easier exploring the other three towns?

Also not really sure what outposts do. I seem to keep having to build them but they don't really do anything useful other than kill the "you should build more outposts" messages for a while.

Also, not sure how I get more survivors to join me - I rescued a bunch near the start, a couple of times I think, and they've made up our numbers a bit, but those sort of encounters seem few and far between. I've tried putting a call out on the radio, but none turned up. Is it just time to move towns?

Moving to new bases lets you build more stuff, house more people, store more supplies etc. Outposts serve several functions. If you put one in a building which has supplies then some of those are added to your base every day (so you don't have to transport them). They also act as a good defence against hordes, as the traps kill them nicely. They ALSO contain a supply locker, where you can remotely store/collect small items and weapons from your base.

When you're hunting for supplies, don't make the mistake I did and 'look inside' the big crates you find of Materials.

I might be wrong but it seems to me you need to pack the still-intact box to get the Material reward.

• Upvote 1

Moving to new bases lets you build more stuff, house more people, store more supplies etc. Outposts serve several functions. If you put one in a building which has supplies then some of those are added to your base every day (so you don't have to transport them). They also act as a good defence against hordes, as the traps kill them nicely. They ALSO contain a supply locker, where you can remotely store/collect small items and weapons from your base.

Is there a limit to the number of outposts you can have?

When you're hunting for supplies, don't make the mistake I did and 'look inside' the big crates you find of Materials.

I might be wrong but it seems to me you need to pack the still-intact box to get the Material reward.

Yeah - holding X (IIRC) means you collect the supplies, usually equipping a larger backpack while you do so.

Also dont be confused by the materials you need for expanding /building stuff is different from the regular meds and so on you scavenge for personal use.

This game is great- but can be confusing. Once it clicks, it is amaze.

Is there a limit to the number of outposts you can have?

There is. I forget the number but I think it's around ten, as I thought I'd be able to keep building them ad-infinitum and was suddenly informed 'we can't support another one' - so placing them at chokehold points where hordes have to pass through is advisable rather than just scattering them all over the map. You can also upgrade outposts, as I found out the other night, increasing their trap range quite a bit and it only costs you one barrel of fuel ( which seems to be a largely useless resource otherwise! Chance missed there, I think. I wonder if they originally planned to have it impacted by how much you were driving? ). The upgrade is available when you select an outpost in the base facilities screen.

Nice touch earlier when I was out on an infestation mission with another survivor. I had a silenced semi-auto and was popping zombie heads on single-shot, got about five in a row and the survivor said 'wow, I wish I could shoot like you. I need more practise' and their trust went up!

I think there's a lot GTA could learn from this game. It's moved forward dynamic of having a player character in a sandbox world, who is able to influence that world, in the way that GTA could have done with GTA4 but didn't bother with, really.

There is. I forget the number but I think it's around ten, as I thought I'd be able to keep building them ad-infinitum and was suddenly informed 'we can't support another one' - so placing them at chokehold points where hordes have to pass through is advisable rather than just scattering them all over the map.

So can you then re-assign outposts or are you stuck with your first 10?