Lol ok finished it.

Slightly disappointed it didn't bin my save game, and that the final battle wasn't a LOT tougher. It would have been great to have a final siege all-or-nothing blowout with all of your guys fighting (so you benefit by having the strongest and best equipped team possible) and a perma-death at the end, forcing you to restart, if you come to the showdown insufficiently prepared. Getting charged by a whole hoard of Big Bastards in that situation would be a properly scary experience.

The difficulty of the whole thing could be massively ramped up, particularly in the later stages, imo and it would make it a much more satisfying game overall. The sense of tension at the start and in the early stages was great - it really felt like you were a desperate group hanging onto the last chance of survival.

I also would have really liked there to be a permanent, ongoing threat of annihilation by having the zombies able to overrun your base properly, and kill everyone, at any point.

They could drop the "time passes while offline" element, totally unnecessary and a bit confusing.

I also don't really like the limitation on upgrading built-in facilities. It's just annoying that there isn't really a "perfect" home site where you can build everything you want into your base.

Hopefully all of this could be sorted in a sequel/DLC update.

• 2 weeks later...

Any more news on updates to this? I was hoping for another patch to iron out a few more of the (many) niggling problems still present.

For the next stage of the game's evolution, whether that's DLC or a new MMO release , I'd like to see human v human combat included. I think a good way to deal with this in an MMO setting would be an alignment/"humanity" stat, which changed according to whether you were evil to other survivors or not. So if you start going around killing people to loot their corpses, your gang would slowly transform graphically into a bunch of cut-throat marauders, negatively affecting your options for friendly trade and interaction with other players/ NPCs.

If on the other hand your group showed extreme humanity, they would start to evolve into a beacon of light in the dark world, with other groups attracted to them, giving them trade/resource bonuses etc.

From the sounds of things there are still some fundamental problems to fix which the devs seem to be quietly ignoring. People have had to petition them on the forums for an explanation as to how outposts/consumption of resources actually works as it makes little sense right now. Plus it seems the enclave mechanic is a bit broken, I forget the particulars but it's something like when your map becomes filled with a certain number of 'quest' enclaves ( military, wilkersons, etc ) then it stops the random distress calls or enclave protection missions working. Remember getting up to a point where those just sort of stopped? I thought it was a bit odd that I'd answer a random distress call and it would just be one of my team, again, out to kill a special zed. It should be a member of another enclave.

So yeah, I think with the planned sandbox mode they're just trying to keep up a sense of momentum while ignoring the already rickety foundations it will lie on.

So they have actually said that there will be further expansion/updates?

Yeah, at the moment they're just talking up sandbox mode and the P.C version, which has made a few concerned that they're ignoring other issues present in the main game and don't plan on patching them. There has been some talk about adding in a hundred new guns which someone on the forums has modelled, as well. A good idea in theory, as long as they're thrown into the random selection pool rather than getting added on top of current loots, there's enough guns in the game as it is.

• 1 month later...

I started in on this again after a month or so off- wanted all the patches to be finished and ready- glad I waited, was nice to come back to my community and find nobody dead and things ticking along nicely. Coming up towards the end- maybe two missions to go- it has started to tail off a bit, there's not much to do beyond 'hunt this zombie type' or 'help this person' random missions, was a shame that the other storylines in the game just seemed to peter out... was expecting more to come from the crazy neighbours or the folk in the courthouse, but the storylines just kind of stopped.

At the same time it is an arcade, and it's given me way more hours of enjoyment than most games in the past few years. Loads of nice little touches in it, including some nice post-patch ones like being able to invite your buddies along at any time now. Excellent game altogether though, worth every penny, would have happily paid full price for this.

• 5 weeks later...

I went for this in the end and I'm glad I did. It runs like a dream for me and I haven't had a single bug so far - lack of proper mouse and keyboard support just yet is also not a problem at all, and the controller setup works so well that I wouldn't want to use M&K for this anyway.

Loving the game so far. There's also so much to do - at least for now.

• 1 month later...

I'm looking forward to the expansion too, although last time I played this my game had got kind of buggy, maybe because so much time has passed in the world when I've been offline? Hopefully they are aware of these issues and can sort them for this DLC though.

The trailer doesn't make it seem like they put in much of the main stuff I wanted - mainly more interaction and dynamism among the group, being able to take groups out on raiding parties, order people to investigate certain buildings and bring back supplies, that sort of thing. Also I'd love the idea to be able to permanently garrison survivors in buildings other than your HQ, to make it easier to check out different areas of the map. I'm sure it will be fun though.

• 6 months later...

Well, downloaded the add-on for this, a military focussed campaign with an all-new city called 'Lifeline' (the campaign, not the city.)

First thing to hit me was how much the engine is struggling (yes, even more than before), as pop-up seems quite severe here. Probably as a result of having to model a denser area than the countryside of the original. That aside, there's a lot to like. It's an add-on that assumes you're a veteran of the game as, if you're too casual, it spanks you severely. As you're a military unit, your focus is divided between looking out for your own troops and assisting the civilian refugees. In my first two missions of the latter, I was overwhelmed by zeds and both civilians were killed. Rescuing the civvies can net you certain bonuses (one of them may have an arms cache, for example) whereas rescuing soldiers gives you much needed able bodies for when the next siege rolls around.

The city is so packed with zeds that they build in numbers until a mob assaults your base. You can make use of already planted fireworks and bombs in the road to thin their ranks, as artillery or air support isn't initially available. These sieges can get pretty intense as my numbers of fighting men are still low. Each one will likely kill one or two of your troops unless you're well prepared. There are also red-shaded areas on the map which, if you venture into, bring a steady stream of zeds down on you.

Gameplay wise, it isn't that different. The higher difficulty seems to balance out now being able to load up trucks with supplies, as you'll likely need them quite soon. The base you arrive at is already quite well stocked with guns and ammo, so there's a broader range available at the beginning. If you have enough influence you can call in supply drops via helicopter and do the usual like have your men search for supplies or survivors. There is (finally) a use for fuel as some of your buildings will need a generator to power their nicer functions. The story revolves around rescuing key personnel who could help solve the outbreak, but I'm not too far into it yet.

So far I'm enjoying it, technical gripes aside. It doesn't feel as folksy and twee as SOD occasionally did. Banter is kept to a professional minimum and there's no laid back guitar music to be found, which are both welcome changes. The available map is fairly large, but requests for help don't seem quite as incessant as they were in SOD, though my opinion on that may change.

• Upvote 1

Might want to wait a little while for the first patch, as it has some bugs. Most irritating of which is asking someone on a mission to watch your back, then them standing completely still and doing just that as zombies rip it open.

• Upvote 1

Sort of got put off this when the last expansion came out, and I went back to it after playing GTA 5 and for the first time the engine, control system and car handling just seemed terrible. And because the last expansion didn't really add anything too interesting I got bored of it pretty quickly. Saw this was up the other day and considered it, though - a siege-based campaign sounds fun.

I'm still playing it, seem to be having less problems with the NPC A.I but it's definitely still there (will be addressed in the first patch, apparently.)

The sieges are a lot of fun, they allow you to let rip with all the heavy weapons you never really had an excuse to use in SOD. In the last one I'd had the roads prepped with landmines, propane tanks, had artillery on standby, and loaded my character up with an LMG with about two hundred rounds. Barelling in to rescue someone with my machine-gun just carving through the zoms surrounding them, then hosing them off the fences, was a blast. They're definitely getting harder as the campaign goes on so I'm currently saving all my grenade ammo for the multi-shot launcher. :D

I didn't even know there was a new expansion coming... I'm two missions off completing State of Decay, had so much fun with it I didn't want to bring it to an end... does sound like this one is tougher but as I thought the original games was so good, definitely going to check this out.

Do the repeated mob assaults / sieges on the base get annoying..?

The sieges are just frequent enough that they feel like an ever looming threat, but you can make efforts to space them out by commanding your men to try and thin the hoards. Really though, if you thought it was difficult to manage infestations in the main game then it's nearly impossible here - but that feels right in the context of the add-on and never really causes big problems. At first it's quite tense when you're halfway across the map and the 'stage 2' siege warning switches to a 'stage 3', meaning you've probably got a few minutes to get back to base. As the game goes on, though, and your arsenal builds up, then the sieges become a little less heart-pounding. Later on, you can gain the ability to make your own ammunition so, at that point, it's fairly easy to keep very potent weapons like the LMG and multi-shot grenade launcher from going hungry. Add in a couple of grenades and petrol bombs to one of those and, as long as you've some outside defences, you're going to get through a siege.

I finished it earlier last night and was about ready for the game to end when it did. Forgot to look at the end statistics but I'd say I got a good nine to ten hours play out of it, and there are still some hairy moments towards the end when you're out on normal scavenging runs and it feels like you've attracted the whole neighbourhood. I think I only found one gunshop in the entire game but there are the new lootable delivery vans scattered around; you can usually tell what they're carrying from the graphic on the side, and some do have weapons aboard.

The only major niggle, as I mentioned before, is the horrible companion A.I. It's not just limited to them not fighting with you but also not following when you're trying to flee a descending horde. It's not all the time but happens enough to make you feel like you're herding cats, and towards the end it made me think 'yeah, I can probably handle this one by myself' rather than having to potentially nursemaid a partner. Undead Labs have said they're right on to patching it, so hopefully that means within the next week or two.

• 10 months later...

I thought I'd bring this thread back from the dead seeing as the excellent XBO version is out now.

I missed this on 360 and I'm finding it to be surprisingly deep in terms of the RPG mechanics and just fun in terms of smashing zombies heads in with a spade. I'm only a few hours in so I'm hoping it doesn't end too prematurely.

I can see the skeleton of a great MMO zombie game here too, which I hope is what Undead Labs are working on now.

• Upvote 1

I never picked this up on 360 either, despite the fact I'm trying to save money this month I will probs pick it up later. Seems a decent price for a decent amount of content and the reviews I've read so far have shined favorably enough on it.

• 1 year later...

Been playing this on and off for a few months between bigger titles. Picked it up for a few quid in a steam sale years ago. Been enjoying it, but it doesn't seem to end. I have no missions on the map, have cleared the courthouse mission, but not the army one. I only seem to get those random calls to help buddies or deal with infestations. Any idea if I need to do something to trigger the main quest again?

• 7 months later...

There's a lot of interesting bits and pieces coming out for State of Decay 2. I have to say, the original was a surprise and I have just started playing the Year-One Survival Edition on PC not having played it since it came out of the 360 years ago. It really is the best zombie game I've played. 

There's going to be 3 new maps with the ability to move between them. I'm guessing not freely, but at least you have a sense of moving on.

Still no news on release. I'm hoping for the summer to avoid the end of year splurge.