rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Goose

The Avengers 2: Age of Ultron

But the male characters bar Widdow are the main characters.

And Whedon never kills main characters except all the other times he has [spoilers redacted]. I was fucking astonished the first Avengers didn't have a bigger body count on the hero side. I could honestly see him killing off one of the Avengers, if Marvel would let him. It's not like superhero death is ever permanent anyway. Captain America has died loads of times.

Pepper and Jane are too secondary for an Avengers movie. You could kill them off in their individual films but I don't think it would work in an avengers film.

• Upvote 2

I'd say that Hawkeye is ripe for the chop. I don't really know if it's true that he hasn't had a "chance to shine", but all they have to do is give him some cool shit to do in the first half to remedy that. And also it would seem more tragic since we've just realised how cool he really is. And also also it gives Black Widow some motivation and neatly subverts the "women in refrigerators" thing. It seems very likely to me.

So, I seem to be the only one who's not yet that enthused about the concept of the film. I don't have a comic book background but why is Ultron really considered to be a big villain? What about him would cause problems for the Avengers, as seen on screen so far? In terms of sheer brute force, it doesn't strike me of much of a contest certainly if you think in terms of Thor or Hulk's powers.

Also, the shot of lots of robots appearing in the trailer brings back memories of the final fight sequence in Iron Man 2 and even the Chitari from Avengers. I think most people agreed that if there was one down side with the Avengers is that there was a lot of cannon fodder which didn't present a mega threat.

I hope I'm wrong, it just seems that in terms of everything which has been announced that Avengers 2 could end up being a little underwhelming in terms of the titular character just being a bit underwhelming.

Because, IIRC, typically Ultron can beat up all the heroes including Thor and the Hulk and can only be defeated by someone fiddling with the universe (e.g. Scarlet Witch or time travellers) or being attacked from within (e.g. by someone very, very small, thrown into his mouth to in turn throw a spanner in the works). Ultron is also a stickler for backing up his personal data - which is a reasonable excuse for the inevitable resurrection following a comic book death.

Oh, he hates his daddy (Hank Pym, aka Ant-Man or Giant-Man) and all organic life with the exception of his daddy's girlfriend (Janet the Wasp).

• Upvote 1

The big thing with Ultron in the comics is (I think! correct me fellow nerds) that after getting his shit ruined repeatedly he works out how to build a Vibranium shell, which as we all know is the indestructible metal that allows Cap to withstand being hit by Mojolonjnoj.

• Upvote 2

I can't remember which one it was but I read an Avengers comic once where the robots moved in kind of swarms like the zombies in World War Z, I think it was an ulton one but I can't remember.

Edit: Looks like it was an Iron Man comic where he fought the fucking Crimson Dynamo or someone so I was way off :)

• Upvote 1

Actually it might be an Adamantium shell rather than Vibranium, though obviously Adamantium is in even lower abundance than...

Oh god must leave thread abort abort abort

Actually it might be an Adamantium shell rather than Vibranium, though obviously Adamantium is in even lower abundance than...

Oh god must leave thread abort abort abort

You're correct. Comic Ultron builds an adamantium body; movie Ultron will build a Vibranium body because the MCU cannot use "Adamantium" in it's films, the same way they can't have Spider-Man or call anyone a mutant; it's all off limits thanks to the seperate licensing deals to Fox and Sony.

• Upvote 1

Does his links to Hank Pym/Ant-Man mean we'll get The Wasp making an appearance in the Ant-Man movie?

Does his links to Hank Pym/Ant-Man mean we'll get The Wasp making an appearance in the Ant-Man movie?

Ultron's origin has been changed for the MCU. Afaik, Stark is solely responsible for his creation; Pym has nothing to do with Ultron.

However, I'm fairly certain that Ant-Man will feature Wasp. Evangeline Lily has been cast as as Somebody Van Dyne and while Marvel hasn't confirmed it, they're at least laying the groundwork for her being Wasp.

Nope, allow me to illustrate witch a simple chart, Assuming Thanos has at least one or two gems already, it goes a little something like this:

Squirrel Girl > Thanos > Galactus > Ultron > The Avengers > somebody's mum > Hawkeye

• Upvote 6