rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
mikeb

Best light-gun games ever...

I tried to set up Point Blank 2 on my PS2 last night, but had problems.

Even after turning the 50Hz CRT from Widescreen to 4:3, and closing the curtains, and turning off the lights, I could only get the gun to register from about 2.5 feet away. When you're calibrating, and the X on the screen represents where you're aiming, it just wouldn't show up at all until I was that close.

Anyone know what's wrong? It's an original G-Con 45, with the composite pass-through and everything...

Is the point of point blank not that it's, you know, point blank range?

I may be wrong though!

(null)

If they did a Wii/PS Move complation with Confidential Mission, Time Crisis 1, and all the other gun games from that era, I'd buy it.

Even after turning the 50Hz CRT from Widescreen to 4:3, and closing the curtains, and turning off the lights, I could only get the gun to register from about 2.5 feet away. When you're calibrating, and the X on the screen represents where you're aiming, it just wouldn't show up at all until I was that close.

Anyone know what's wrong? It's an original G-Con 45, with the composite pass-through and everything...

The light sensor in the gun is no longer working, try opening the gun and cleaning it. Probably going to need a new gun though.

The GunCon1 has a yellow auxillary cable that attaches to the yellow composite output on your TV, have you done this? It's a mistake I made too - the gun is pretty much useless if you don't.

It's already out, Retro Gamer 118, featuring my GunCon, Virtua and Dreamcast guns :)

I included VC2, Time Crisis, Elemental Gearbolt, Point Blank, HOTD 2, Op Wolf and others in the 'RG Shooting Gallery' round-up section.

They did leave five games out of the lineup unfortunately due to space issues. These were:

TERMINATOR 2: JUDGEMENT DAY (1991)

post-12619-0-40105500-1375361113.png

Released to tie in with the spectacular movie sequel, T2 was one of the most impressive arcade gun shooting games of its time, giving gamers the chance to play ‘good guy’ Arnie’s T-800 and mow down countless enemy cyborgs. Using digitised sets and models from the film, it looked fantastic, and featured a large mounted gun similar to the one from Operation Wolf. It was also one of the best light gun games to be made available on both the SNES and Mega Drive consoles via a surprisingly good conversion by Acclaim, which was re-titled T2: The Arcade Game.

LUCKY & WILD (1992)

post-12619-0-09752900-1375361177.png

Here’s a great arcade game that never got a home conversion, it’s effectively Tango & Cash meets Chase HQ with light guns. As the eponymous cop duo it’s down to two players to smash a criminal drug ring by driving really fast and firing at any suspicious-looking vehicles that come into view. The game offers more freedom than your typical on-rails shooter - player one gets a steering wheel as well as a pistol while a second light gun allows player two to concentrate on bagging the bad guys.

YOSHI’S SAFARI (1993)

post-12619-0-63849300-1375361210.png

Though it’s probably best not to worry about why a dinosaur would need to equip himself with a gun, Yoshi’s Safari was one of the few truly fun times to be had with the Super Scope. It’s a bit of an odd hybrid, much of the game being spent trundling along a highway blasting Bowser’s minions, jumping obstacles and intermittently fighting ridiculous looking bosses. In fact, now that we think about it, the original Japanese name, Yoshi’s Road Hunting makes a lot more sense…

SILENT SCOPE (1999)

post-12619-0-82418400-1375361601.png

In the arcades, Konami’s innovative Silent Scope offered gamers the chance to get up close and personal with another lot of virtual terrorists holding the President’s next-of-kin to ransom. Peering into the cleverly designed cabinet’s rifle-sight gave you a ultra zoomed-in view of any point on the game’s main monitor screen, allowing you to cheerfully pick off baddies up a skyscraper half a mile away or, should you desire, lech over unsuspecting semi-clad ladies for bonus points.

CONFIDENTIAL MISSION (2000)

post-12619-0-20899500-1375361497.png

Blending Bond-style espionage thriller and Virtua Cop, Confidential Mission was the last Sega arcade light gun game to receive a Dreamcast port. Though good fun, the game wasn’t ashamed to chuck in every possible spy movie cliché, from a shootouts on speeding trains and hidden underground bases to battles with snowmobiles, helicopters and submarines. There are even mini-games where you have to deploy 007-style gadgets like the hook-line used to infiltrate a baddie’s lair – miss and you’ll end up taking the more dangerous way round. In fact, we reckon Virtua Spy would have been a much better name.

• Upvote 5

The GunCon1 has a yellow auxillary cable that attaches to the yellow composite output on your TV, have you done this? It's a mistake I made too - the gun is pretty much useless if you don't.

Sure did. I'm thinking I'll go for the cleaning option, and see how that pans out.

Are sensor bar based guns as accurate/more accurate than the old style light guns? I never felt like the Wii remote was as accurate in HOTD.

Also, I'd love to make a multi-lightgun game cab, using G-Con 45s, but I'm not sure how easily it could be done.

There does seem to be a bit more 'wander' with the Wii-mote and motion-sensor devices in general, so they are certainly not as accurate as say the GunCon. But they are still decent on things like Ghost Squad, and obv better with the Zapper housing.

I think it's a real shame you couldn't get Silent Scope in there; I think it's the most novel and fun light gun game ever made (even though it isn't technically a light gun game).

I would've also went for Virtua Cop 1 over 2 - then again, I have an enormous respect for VC1, because I feel it was so good as to render previous 2D light gun games obsolete. I always thought they were a better concept than execution until I played VC1.

That being said, you only had so much room, and the games you did feature were all worthy of inclusion.

Thanks. Yeah VC1 was definitely the pioneer, but I guess some people would have known VC2 better, with all its OTT car chases.... I was a bit gutted they didn't include Lucky & Wild to be honest... it's a corker, and a very different take on a light gun game.

God, everytime I visit this thread I get all misty eyed thinking about the Dreamcast era. Such a heady time of unfettered Sega creativity, probably never to return...

• Upvote 1

It's already out, Retro Gamer 118, featuring my GunCon, Virtua and Dreamcast guns :)

Ahh cool, nice article. Good to see DHT made it in! :)

Ok, I cracked and bought a TopGun3 from ebay for 40 quid. Will let you know how it pans out when it arrives! I'd expect to be using it for MAME. Whilst it does, impressively, have PS2/3 support, it doesn't support PS2 games played on a PS2. But I can emulate the PS1 games.

A quick update - after about an hour of tinkering and fucking around, I got the TopGun 3 working with mame. The result was a joyful couple of hours spent playing Point Blank on my 42" LCD with the accuracy that I'd expect from a G-Con, and the recoil from the arcades.

I've been popping those single-bullet challenges like nobody's business with the thing. It's for those who are comfortable with unsigned drivers and tweaking ini files, but it's definitely good.

• Upvote 3

I'm planning on firing up Time Crisis on MAME, but I'd quite like to add a pedal to the experience. The TopGun has many buttons, but... it's just not the same, is it?

I've got a Rock Band drum pedal, but no straightforward way of connecting the 3mm jack to the pc. Does anyone know a) an easy way to do this or b) another PC input that would suffice?

If you go on amazon there are a few USB foot pedals / Foot switches that would do the job. I think I remember seeing one on maplins site before as well, spoilt for choice :)

Blue and a Pink version yea, depending on if you bought LE1 or 2 I think? I have a Jap boxset of 1 here, I bought it just for the gun to play Snatcher.

I'm planning on firing up Time Crisis on MAME, but I'd quite like to add a pedal to the experience. The TopGun has many buttons, but... it's just not the same, is it?

I've got a Rock Band drum pedal, but no straightforward way of connecting the 3mm jack to the pc. Does anyone know a) an easy way to do this or b) another PC input that would suffice?

Connect and configure a playstation pad and pop it on the floor to be stood on - just like you could with the PS version of Time Crisis.