IGNORED

£429

ras el hanout

For me, the price isn't the ultimate driving force behind me opting out of the XBOne. It's all down to the DRM restrictions, mandatory 24Hr ID authentications & HAL9000 overwatch. If these 3 things were reversed I could possibly see myself buying one a few months into release despite the high price tag, as long as there are more games that appeal to me.

The MS E3 pageantry showed me nothing that would push me to buy this over a PS4, even Halo 5 is no Halo 1 in terms of making this console the "must-have console". All the 3rd party stuffs (BF4, COD, Mass Effect 4, SW:BF, Mirror's Edge 2 etc.) will come out across various platforms, including PC, so there's no incentive there to buy an XBO over a PS4.

But, as has been pointed out, many younger gamers are coming out in support of the price & comparing it to the price of any Apple product (despite the fact that it actually does comparably less than the majority of those products). So, I think ultimately the £429 price won't matter a whit to Johnny Public who just wants to play COD or FIFA.

However, given the current selling prices of the XB360, PS3 & even Wii-U, I do think that this price point will be driving the gaming world back to the "either/or" situation in terms of platform ownership, which I can only forsee as being a bad thing for the industry as a whole.

With the archaic TV focus in a world where every likely to be interested in the thing has laptops, set-top boxes, phones and tablets offering most of the functionality already, I assumed that that, combined with the DRM, would mean this would be heavily subsidised - Maybe £250, as per the 360 Arcade in 2005. But nope.

If Sony come in below £350 and Nintendo are off their arses and (officially) at £200 by the time it launches, it will do well to out-pace the original Xbox in its first few years on the market.

Microsoft don't set the sales tax.

The tax is charged locally by governments. MS are not necessarily making more in the UK. And they don't make more in US states with higher sales tax.

It's nowhere as simple as $ to £ currency anyway. Where are these things made? China? MS are presumably paying FoxCon or someone to make them and someone else to ship them around the world.

I think the prices are close enough to rule out any significant shenanigans.

Yep.

We're really not ripped off that badly by companies in general. I think the price is outlandish and certain to ensure anaemic sales, but it's by no means a huge mark-up for Britain.

So go live there?

In this country you have to pay 20% tax, thus at worst MS are over charging you about £20.

It's still incredibly expensive and I won't buy one at launch. But the dollar to pound conversion is not some massive mark up.

Yeah, I wasn't moaning that the Americans are getting it cheaper or anything, just that sales tax isn't necessarily in the equation for the price.

Were any prices announced for Australia, Japan, etc?

RRP in Australia is $599. On current exchange rate US$499 = AU$527, plus 10% tax and warranty is longer than US (usually 12 months).

£429 is AU$706, so they've really rewarded their second largest market.

For me, the price isn't the ultimate driving force behind me opting out of the XBOne. It's all down to the DRM restrictions, mandatory 24Hr ID authentications & HAL9000 overwatch. If these 3 things were reversed I could possibly see myself buying one a few months into release despite the high price tag, as long as there are more games that appeal to me.

Same here.

Not a hair on my head even thinks about buying this downright Orwellian device.

After releasing the Vita for peanuts compared to what everyone thought they would (how much of a loss did they take on it?) I wouldn't be surprised if Sony come out tomorrow and go £300! BOOM!

Now that would put the cat amongst the pigeons..

This is going to be the first generation I'm not planning on getting at least one launch console, but that would make me get one just to support their audacity.

£429 is about £79 too much for me. Gotta hope the PS4 comes in at around £350.

You were never going to get the Xbox One even it was £299. But I do agree on price point, I've said from the day of the reveal that £350 would be a great price for both consoles. I reckon that Sony will come in at £399 at the most. Probably two consoles, one at £299 one at £399.

It's interesting how little the 360 has come down over its life. The Premium launched at £280. Admittedly two redesigns and a bigger hard drive later it still costs £200 after 8 years.

I don't think that's going to work for MS this time.

I think Microsoft are charging a fair price for what they're selling.

Unfortunately no-one wants what they're selling and even a £100 price drop is still going to leave them in PS4 money territory. Mandatory Kinect has fucked them in the pricing stakes.

But. I mean, this is what I don't understand. The Xbox One is gonna have some great games. Yeah? And yet even for hardcore gamers that price is too much. That's what I find kinda difficult to understand. I mean, I agree.

I'm the biggest Nintendo Fanboy in the world (8ft 4inches) and yet £299 was a bit rich for me for a WiiU. I just can't think of any other of my hobbies where I'd be that bothered. I understand there are other charges on top that ramps the price up but there would be if it was £99. It's not like you have to buy a console every year, you buy one and keep it for years. Sub £500 for some thing you keep for years. It's not that crazy.

I guess my point is why do we care about £100, £200 even. Like, what other thing would you buy where £100 would be an absolute deal breaker. Of course now that the PS4 is cheaper it makes the extra £80 seems INSANE. But, you know, what's £80 over six years?

When I'm buying a washing machine, something I don't even use, £100 here and there isn't much of an issue. I'd look at washing machines between £300-£500 without really sweating the difference too much. You know?

Are games considered worthless? Hmm? Or worth little. Even by the people who love them?

When I'm buying a washing machine, something I don't even use, £100 here and there isn't much of an issue. I'd look at washing machines between £300-£500 without really sweating the difference too much. You know?

Are games considered worthless? Hmm? Or worth little. Even by the people who love them?

I think if I was told that I could either buy a more powerful washing machine at £349 that cost less to run, or a less powerful washing machine at £429 that costs more to run and has a permanently active mandatory bodyscanner for no discernable reason I would choose the cheaper, more powerful, cheaper to run version.

I think if I was told that I could either buy a more powerful washing machine at £349 that cost less to run, or a less powerful washing machine at £429 that costs more to run and has a permanently active mandatory bodyscanner for no discernable reason I would choose the cheaper, more powerful, cheaper to run version.

Yeah, to be fair I made this thread before Sony unveiled their new better cheaper washing machine. But had the PS4 been £479... I mean, the fact people are excited about an £80 price difference. I'm sure that doesn't happen on washing machine forums.

Yeah, to be fair I made this thread before Sony unveiled their new better cheaper washing machine. But had the PS4 been £479... I mean, the fact people are excited about an £80 price difference. I'm sure that doesn't happen on washing machine forums.

You can't look at it in terms of washing machines. If people truly want a superior washing experience, they'll take two jobs to buy it.

People seem to buy Mac laptops all the time, despite them usually being a lot more expensive than a PC laptop counterpart - not to mention usually being less powerful. Doesn't seem to bother them too much either.

People seem to buy Mac laptops all the time, despite them usually being a lot more expensive than a PC laptop counterpart - not to mention usually being less powerful. Doesn't seem to bother them too much either.

More than that I'm sure there are people who shop around so some get their laptop £80 cheaper. If somebody got the same laptop as me for £80 less by flubbiting it I don't think I'd be too depressed. I'd be like, oh well, it was only £80. And yet an £80 difference in RRP for a new console - the price of a Skylander starter pack - is an insurmountable obstacle to happiness.

Gaming is still perceived as a low-priority, low-benefit, luxury hobby by most people. Even most gamers.

Things like washing machines etc. are considered essential by most so they don't bat an eyelid because they consider the benefits of that device.

Those activities (kayaking etc.) you mention are considered more beneficial than playing games because of the physicality & sociability involved.

Most consumers don't consider gaming to be a hobby with any beneficial upside & as such they impose an imperceptible limit on what they'll pay.

Same thing happens with TVs, Bluray players, home cinema setups etc. it's not until the prices get below that subconscious limit that the consideration of purchase enters their minds.

When it comes to things like iDevices, while they are expensive the general benefits (portability, cheap software etc.) in having one seemingly outweigh the costs.

It appears that for gamers that limit, at which they are happy to spend that hard-earned money on a new games playing device, is £350.

I was wondering if Microsoft's spectacular misfire might be good for the next generation. Much how Sony saved their reputation this generation with a lot of gamers with the excellent PS+, maybe Microsoft will need to pull something equally spectacular out of the bag to get a foothold. They've obviously invested an obscene amount into the Xbox One, they can't afford to be getting outsold two or even three to one. They'll stick to their guns to begin with, it'd be too humiliating to backstep now, but in a year or so's time I'd expect big changes which can only be good for us and for competition. I very much doubt PS+ would exist if it weren't for Sony's bad decisions when bringing out the PS3.

Laptops and PCs you can pretend have some utility. I think games machines just fall into the luxury bracket and thus tickle our middle-class guilt sufficiently to make us loathe to spend a lot of money on them. This is why poor people have no qualms whatsoever about buying consoles (on horrendous credit, no doubt).

I just made this up and have no evidence for this.

Gaming is still perceived as a low-priority, low-benefit, luxury hobby by most people. Even most gamers.

Things like washing machines etc. are considered essential by most so they don't bat an eyelid because they consider the benefits of that device.

Those activities (kayaking etc.) you mention are considered more beneficial than playing games because of the physicality & sociability involved.

Most consumers don't consider gaming to be a hobby with any beneficial upside & as such they impose an imperceptible limit on what they'll pay.

Same thing happens with TVs, Bluray players, home cinema setups etc. it's not until the prices get below that subconscious limit that the consideration of purchase enters their minds.

When it comes to things like iDevices, while they are expensive the general benefits (portability, cheap software etc.) in having one seemingly outweigh the costs.

It appears that for gamers that limit, at which they are happy to spend that hard-earned money on a new games playing device, is £350.

You see. Why do we see it as low priority? It's clearly not low priority for us as we fight to the death over whose console is best. Stay up until 2am. And yet.

If those people who took the day off the watch E3 and moan about the £80 difference had gone to work instead. They'd have made that £80.

It's like. Forget all the rest of the disaster. MS must have had a discussion where the price came up.

Somebody must have said, "People won't pay more than £300 for a console."

And the head MS guy would have said, "Why not?"

And the first guy would have said. "I dunno, they just won't"

And head Xbox guy would have said. "But why?"

And the first guy would have said, "I don't fucking know, they just won't."

Nah, they're mental for their savings on the washing machine forums. As long as it's a good make and not one that'll fall apart in 5 minutes, which makes up the other 90% of that line of conversation.

This is what I was going to post. It's not just the £80 difference. It's the ability to buy used games, it's the fact that you can use it sans internet, the fact that it is more powerful and the fact that the bloody camera isn't mandatory. All these things, on top of the £80 difference is why people are happy with that price difference.