IGNORED

Dead Rising 3

Goose

I'm playing it and absolutely loving it - its more accessible than the first 2 for those that found the save system unforgiving. Lots of good things to say about the game but the smartglass app integration is brliiant - map on my ipad with the to do list, the phone calls come through on there, adds nicely to the stress of some situations when you think you've already got lots of tasks to juggle.

Couple of niggles though - one of my completed side missions wont register as completed = not a game breaker but it keeps sitting there as an outstanding mission. Still won't disappear even if I recomplete it.

Also the game has failed to boot first time a couple of times. Just crashes at the opening picture back to the dash. A reboot fixes.

Very impressed with the seamless no-loading travel, sheer volume of zombies, simple, early access to combo weapons and great characterisations.

More Dead Rising 3 chat please!

Yeah when starting the game you can choose from a couple of options as to who you'd like to be matched with from completionist, hardcore, casual or single player.

You can also change this during game play from the pause menu.

just to confirm that when you choose restart story it does keep you level just like it should. It also keeps you clothes which led to my brother asking me if you played an escaped mental patient because my character went through the intro cutscene in a floral dress and welding mask.

So yeah if you're restarting story to show it off, I would make sure you change your wardrobe first. Speaking of which does anyone know how to do that? Also toilets aren't marked on the map which is shit

I'm playing it and absolutely loving it - its more accessible than the first 2 for those that found the save system unforgiving. Lots of good things to say about the game but the smartglass app integration is brliiant - map on my ipad with the to do list, the phone calls come through on there, adds nicely to the stress of some situations when you think you've already got lots of tasks to juggle.

Couple of niggles though - one of my completed side missions wont register as completed = not a game breaker but it keeps sitting there as an outstanding mission. Still won't disappear even if I recomplete it.

Also the game has failed to boot first time a couple of times. Just crashes at the opening picture back to the dash. A reboot fixes.

Very impressed with the seamless no-loading travel, sheer volume of zombies, simple, early access to combo weapons and great characterisations.

More Dead Rising 3 chat please!

That does sound pretty cool! Hoping this kind of integration becomes the norm this gen.

So now it's out is anyone on here actually playing this?

Interested in hearing opinions and how it compares to the likes of Case Zero/DR1. This still currently remains the one launch title I'm really gutted to be missing out on.

Also surprised to see this thread languishing 9 or 10 pages back in GD.

If you enjoyed Case Zero (I ended up preferring it to the full version of DR2), then you'll love DR3. It's the same thing on a huge scale, and the nightmare mode is surprisingly successful adoption of the classic Dead Rising time-management format, if you're one of the people (there's definitely a few of us) who actually liked that about the originals.

It's 'mingleplayer' with automatically drop in/out co-op with the other player filling the role of another character, but this isn't in any way restricted to you actually working together to even being in the same part of the city. I presume that on your own screen you always play as the main guy?

Also, and this might be because I'm on Nightmare mode and also because DR games are always at their most challenging before you level up, but it's hard. The zombies take some serious putting down, motherfuckers won't stay dead even after you've hacked their legs off, which encourages the building of better weapons.

If you enjoyed Case Zero (I ended up preferring it to the full version of DR2), then you'll love DR3. It's the same thing on a huge scale, and the nightmare mode is surprisingly successful adoption of the classic Dead Rising time-management format, if you're one of the people (there's definitely a few of us) who actually liked that about the originals.

Sounds ideal.. My urge to resist is weakening. Case Zero was the perfect format for a DR game.

I'm loving it.

So yeah if you're restarting story to show it off, I would make sure you change your wardrobe first. Speaking of which does anyone know how to do that? Also toilets aren't marked on the map which is shit

If you have Kinect connected, you can say "change clothes" at any time to immediately change back to the default outfit. You can also shout at the zombies to attract their attention, if you're into that sort of thing. I guess it could be useful in co-op, to create a diversion.

I definitely found it a little overwhelming at the start. Like, DR1's opening twenty minutes or so were about directing you to what was going on, and making it super clear that you were on a clock. DR3 felt kind of like "bosh! There you go. Bajillion zombies. Collectibles all over the map. Have fun."

Jumped straight into Nightmare mode for my first game and I just met my end by getting nuked. :lol:

I thought I would be able to get through this mode in one go really, I was making a lot of time by just concentrating on the story missions but I kept getting side tracked by survivor missions and trying to collect all these damn golden Frank West statues. I also spent a lot of time getting lost as I was not checking the map frequently and making massive cross country runs when I couldn't find a vehicle. I've not downloaded the smartglass app yet...but the map is confusing as you can't set waypoints and when you do try and make your way to one of the markers, you realise you hit a dead end or could have got there in a lot less time had you gone another route. Good old Dead Rising!

Died at Level 17 and massacred just under 10,000 zombies. I reckon I will be able to do it on my next try, the main thing that I need to concentrate on is making sure I've always got a combo vehicle nearby. There's no way you can get all of the side, survivor and psycho missions done in one go. I think there will be atleast a few good run throughs until you have a full levelled up Nick and access to all the blue prints and knowledge about the map and bosses.

I saw on a Giantbomb quick look that you can spawn vehicles and weapons you have created in the garages? How do you do this?

Also, all of the random survivors...if you have cleared out a safe house in that area, do they all go there so you can select to take them out with you on missions? I had two survivors that I could select but they were the only two that had joined me as soon as I completed their mission. They are a lot tougher now, can even survive being exploded out of a damaged vehicle. :lol:

I can see how this mode would have pissed a lot of people off, so it's good that they have the standard Storymode which gives you all of the time in the world. Probably would have been a good idea to do that first then jumping in with my LVL'd up character...NAH!

Oh and just like the old games, while the bosses are all unique and mentally insane, fighting them is still a pain in the ass as they are all really ropey.They hardly react to your hits and can knock you on your ass with their own attacks. I don't think there's ever been a fun Dead Rising boss fight.

Had an absolute horrid boss fight against some crazed Police woman armed with twin golden pistols and rocket launchers and her own private army. Managed to whittle her health down by raining attacks on her and diving out the way. Was also lucky that I had a ton of firearms with me. It was also handy that the health items started to respawn in the room. I was eating on the move while getting shot. :lol: I would have been pissed if I died and had to do that again.

Realised that I need to level up my melee attacks as I've not unlocked any grabs or advanced moves yet.

Is there anyway to dismiss A.I companions? I want to explore more of the city and get to those awkward to reach places, and once you start trying tricky jumps they aren't the best at keeping up. Thanks

Oh and Singho, I think you are wrong about them dying and returning to a safe house in Story mode? In my experience they have died and just lay on the floor so I have reloaded checkpoints. A mate if mine said he lost Anna because she died during a boss fight - again in story mode. Excellent write up though :)

Dead Rising 3 and Resogun are my favourite of all the launch titles on both consoles by far. It really is a 'proper' Dead Rising game as it has (among other things) all the humour and absurdity you'd expect from this series. The psychos are especially great and combo weapons are fucking brilliant. In fact, playing in normal mode I realized that DR3 reminds me most of the demo of DR1 from back in the day. Anyone else remember the demo? It had all the absurdity and creativeness of the full game, but also more freedom and a bigger focus on fun zombie smashing. To me it seems like DR3 takes the feel of the DR1 demo and adds a massive open city to it, filled with way more zombies than the previous two games could ever show on-screen. I would love to see what these same devs could do with DR4 and no launch day pressure.

Fuck it, I'm calling it now: Dead Rising 3 is the best Dead Rising game.

Is there anyway to dismiss A.I companions? I want to explore more of the city and get to those awkward to reach places, and once you start trying tricky jumps they aren't the best at keeping up. Thanks

Oh and Singho, I think you are wrong about them dying and returning to a safe house in Story mode? In my experience they have died and just lay on the floor so I have reloaded checkpoints. A mate if mine said he lost Anna because she died during a boss fight - again in story mode. Excellent write up though :)

If you go to the bulletin board in the Safe Houses, you can check\uncheck people in your posse. I've also just driven off and they seem to just disappear.and I've not had to worry about them.

Also, from my time in Nightmare mode, none of the survivors returned back to the Safehouse when they were attacked. I've had all of them be savaged in normal mode and they've fallen over and returned back to the Safe house. I am pretty sure that once you've saved them and given them a weapon, they are safe from dying in normal mode. I'll test a few things out.

Have you tried Nightmare, Gerbik? I haven't played normal yet, so I'm not sure how different they are.

DR3 is the Dead Rising game we were all dreaming off when Frank's helicopter flew over the town, way back when.

Ties up some of the loose ends in the Dead Rising ending too. :P