rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Stanley

Games on Gold

Does anyone know if you can get these deals if you use one of those 48hr Gold scratchcard codes? I'm assuming not but I cancelled my Gold subscription cos I don't really ever play online MP and silver still works for stuff like Pinball FX2 and I would probably buy a few of those games.

For the free games that this thread is about, you need at least a month, yeah.

For some reason, this thread is also about a completely unrelated sale which is happening at the moment, and so if you're looking to buy those games you only have to be a silver member.

• Upvote 1

For some reason, this thread is also about a completely unrelated sale which is happening at the moment,

Where's the thread about the sale then?

That means don't forget to download Defense Grid NOW because it's awesome and you need it.

I'm quite looking forward to ACII. I've never played it, but I am playing AC at the moment and enjoying it (to an extent) and so the sequel which I've heard is better in every way is pretty welcome.

you don't honestly even consider that you need to keep subbed to play your 40 or so games from over the year.

Wait a sec, how many games a month is PSN+?

You get, I think, 2 PS3 games and 2 Vita games per month on average, plus there's 2 PS3 games on an annual basis on top. Plus discounts on a lot of everything else.

For some reason I thought it was one PS3 game a month or something. Right.

Well regardless of that MS's offering looks pathetic in comparison anyway. Sony are doing everything right at the moment.

It's 3 PS3 games and 2 Vita games - the games this month are Battlefield 3, Saints Row 3 and Payday: The Heist for PS3. Vita gets Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus and Unit 13.

There are also the annual games, Vita has Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Gravity Rush while the PS3 gets Uncharted 3, LittleBigPlanet Karting and X:Com Enemy Unknown. The previous PS3 games were LBP2, Infamous 2 and Motorstorm: Apocalypse (they updated last month).

There does seem to be some overlap between the previous month too - you can still grab Malicious, Demon's Souls, the ICO/Shadow of the Colossus HD pack and Catherine for the PS3 and Sine Mora for the Vita which were last months games (not sure about the second vita one).

• Upvote 1

3!!

It's an amazingly good offer and guarantee you'll always having something to play even if you're low on money. £40 a year for that would be great let alone the other stuff. Can someone explain the other benefits to me? I think one of them was reduced prices in sales or something but I can't remember.

It really is a total winner.

You also get cloud saving and automatic updates (I have my PS3 set up to automatically upload any updated saves every day at 4am aswell as download updates) and 10% discounts on some games. I'm not sure what determines it but it comes up quite often. For instance, there's a Naughty Dog sale on at the moment and every game I think has an additional 10% off for PS+ subscribers.

The site lists a couple of other benefits I've not used:

Full Game Trials

Try before you buy! Play the full game for 1-hour. If you decided to buy the game, you pick up where you left off, and the trophies you earned will unlock. In the past we've featured games like: BioShock® Infinite, Army of Two, Army of TWO™ The Devil’s Cartel, Batman: Arkham City and Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning™.

Exclusive & Early Access

Enjoy exclusive content for your PS3™ and receive priority access to selected betas and demos. Past titles have included God of War: Ascension™, PlayStation® All-Stars Battle Royale™, DC Universe™ Online and Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception™.

Full game for an hour? I never knew about that. Sounds great.

MS' offer looks totally shabby by comparison. I honestly thought when they announced it they would try and really blow people away with the games available at first (major titles) but then we start hearing about these 3 year old games. Christ. Whereas the PS4 gets Driveclub for free at launch.

I warned my flatmate off the One yesterday.

I bought a Vita on the strength of PS+ - it's that much of a system seller (lol). No, but really, it has been truly great. I've only been on it since February (I got a 12 month deal for £19.99 after an initial half-price 3 months) and in that time there's been:

February 2013
F1 Race Stars
Sleeping Dogs
WipEout 2048 (Vita)
Lumines: Electronic Symphony (Vita)
Quantum Conundrum
March 2013
Dead or Alive 5
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Vita)
Mass Effect 3
Joe Danger 2
Puddle (Vita)
April 2013
Lord of the Rings: War in the North
Okami HD
The Cave
Thomas Was Alone (PS3 & Vita)
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward (Vita)
May 2013
Catherine
Hitman Absolution
Velocity Ultra HD (Vita)
Malicious
Sine Mora (Vita)
June 2013
Demon's Souls
ICO and Shadow of the Colossus HD Collection
LittleBigPlanet Karting
Rayman Origins (Vita)
Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning
Uncharted 3 Drake’s Deception
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Coconut Dodge Revitalised (Vita)
July 2013
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita)
Unit 13 (Vita)
Battlefield 3
Payday: The Heist
Saints Row the Third
All absolutely free (i.e. aside from the discounts). It's incredible value, certainly worth picking up the hardware for if you don't already have it.
Oh edit: plus Gravity Rush and Uncharted on Vita. And probably some other stuff I've forgotten.

I bought a Vita on the strength of PS+ -

To be honest I do find it a bit much paying 'proper game' prices for handheld stuff so I could see this genuinely making the Vita more attractive to me. I am interested already (although completely skint right now) but having a bunch of free games would make it an easier decision when I am in a position to make it.

Bit unclear but presumably the monthly free games have to be downloaded during that month?

All absolutely free (i.e. aside from the discounts). It's incredible value, certainly worth picking up the hardware for if you don't already have it.

I genuinely do find it amazing.

Not necessarily downloaded, but they do have to be purchased for free. You can do it via the store website - every time new PS+ content is out I just go there, add it all to my basket and purchase it. I'll worry about downloading things later, at least this way I don't miss anything.

To be honest I do find it a bit much paying 'proper game' prices for handheld stuff so I could see this genuinely making the Vita more attractive to me. I am interested already (although completely skint right now) but having a bunch of free games would make it an easier decision when I am in a position to make it.

Bit unclear but presumably the monthly free games have to be downloaded during that month?

Nope, you just 'buy' them - which you can do on the web. You can do this even if you don't own the device in question. Then you can download them at any time during the life of a sub (or during a future sub period). Some people get a discounted PS+ deal then start collecting purchases before they have a console to play them on. Can make sense.

PS I'm the same with handhelds. The PS+ deal is what persuaded me to get a Vita, and it's been worth it so far. Plus Virtue's Last Reward turns out to be one of my games of the year, and there's no way I'd have bought that - even though it turns out that it'd have been worth full price. I've given lots of things a proper go that I never would have without the sub deal.

Also bear in mind, if you buy stuff in sales then the extra discounts soon cover the cost of PS+ anyway.

I worked out I have saved £23 or so on discounts alone and I don't buy all that much.

Not necessarily downloaded, but they do have to be purchased for free. You can do it via the store website - every time new PS+ content is out I just go there, add it all to my basket and purchase it. I'll worry about downloading things later, at least this way I don't miss anything.

I see, thanks.

There's a PS+ thread. Games on Gold isn't as good, yeah, obviously, but Defense Grid is amazing and ACII is supposedly very good too, so it's not like it's totally pointless or anything, games don't become shit just because they're a few years old.

We could talk about Assassin's Creed II here instead?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

ACII was the one I liked best and wanted to see though to the end. If anyone hasn't played it, then you are in for a treat.

There's a PS+ thread. Games on Gold isn't as good, yeah, obviously, but Defense Grid is amazing and ACII is supposedly very good too, so it's not like it's totally pointless or anything, games don't become shit just because they're a few years old.

We could talk about Assassin's Creed II here instead?

There's an Assassin's Creed 2 thread as well: http://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/208565-assassins-creed-2 - it's four years old, mind. ;)

But no, of course Games on Gold isn't totally pointless. You're bound to get a bit of crosstalk with these services though, and for my part I was just clarifying the earlier answer to a question. But sure, discuss away.

Also, AC II was my favourite of the ACs (apart from in terms of setting and atmosphere, where I still think the first was by far the best, even though the game itself was anaemic).