rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
hub2

Mario Kart 8

Looking forward to getting back on this with you dicks at the weekend. Going to red shell the taste out of your mouths.

Relevant

• Upvote 8

I had rgraves in a regional match last night, he's a bit cheeky. He was waaaay ahead of the pack on electrodome after I went back into 2nd and then got peppered by everyone - occasionally not getting anything like a red shell when in 2nd can leave 1st in the clear, especially if 2nd is getting hit by everyone else's stuff.

I had a joyous win on the new Rainbow road in a 10 match regional though, completely 'perfect' run and didn't get hit by anything or anyone up until a banana right before the finish line but still a chunk ahead of everyone else. Had a very tense blue shell hit right on the line of toad harbour but somehow still kept the 1st - it's a bit of a shame they don't put the finish times up at the end anymore as I'd have loved to have seen the nanoseconds worth of difference...

Still can't see all of you lot's ghosts (or my one particular mates') but I have a new tactic - scott (can you actually accept my friend request as well pls) but check whether your friends have uploaded ghost data with a miiverse post because as far as I can tell, the only friends ghosts I can see on the more ghosts menu that aren't in the world's best 15 times, are ones that have miiverse posts, so it might be that - bit weird but that seems to be the only consistent thing that the ones I can see have.

How do people play this game then? I've been trying both motion control and just normal controls but I don't seem to be better or worse with either.

I need to get online with it more too.

Normal all the way. Personally I can't get the accuracy with motion controls, although some of the better ghosts are using motion controls so it must be possible.

How do people play this game then? I've been trying both motion control and just normal controls but I don't seem to be better or worse with either.

I need to get online with it more too.

If your skill levels are the same with both methods then go with tilt controls. When not dragging an item, you get to drive one handed to scratch your nose or hold up a houseplant or banana skin or pound coin or pet tortoise in your free hand for more immersion.

• Upvote 5

I tried motion controls last night when attempting my time trial... it felt as though I could turn in quicker, but I didn't have the accuracy that I wanted.

Having said that, as mentioned above, some of those ghost times with motion controls are terrifying.

Yeah, you get boosted grip with motion controls apparently. Which courses were you on?

I tried a few tracks with stick controls over the weekend to test out the theory and definitely didn't have the same level of control on Dry Dry Desert's sand. It's not surprising that the top 10 ghosts in the world are all waggle on that course. I didn't feel an obvious difference on the tight turns of Bone Dry Dunes, Donut Plains and Rainbow Road though. Stick is clearly more slippy on ice, but the best route hardly touches the ice on Sherbet Land. Motion probably gives you the advantage on that ice at the top of Mount Wario. Didn't try that one.

I love how much the driving line really does make a difference in this one, more so than in some of the previous MK's anyway. Or at least it seems like it does, you can really pure outdrive people if you turn into those corners tightly.

I've not tried any no items races at all actually, or does it just end up being very fixed positions without the potential of being slowed by an item?

I love getting a super horn when just out of honking range from the guy in front. It really forces you to take bends as tightly as possible to try and catch up and get them.

One of the many excellent things about Toad Harbour is that section with the two trams at the top of the hill on the first lap. If you've had an untroubled start in the lead, then taking the best racing line means squeezing inside the first tram around the bend, putting you in the perfect position to gather the coins that trail the second tram and then boost around it. It feels incredibly satisfying to do. The bonus of racing well up to this point is that another tram will be perfectly positioned down the hill to leap on top of and you get to trick boost off the roof. This really is the best game.

Looking forward to getting back on this with you dicks at the weekend. Going to red shell the taste out of your mouths.

Relevant

I'm in tears here... that is sooo funny.

Just bought this new from ebay for £30, can't wait to get stuck in!

I'm time trailing just now, so haven't been in the tourney.

SCOTT RUSSELL WILL RETURN

Dah dah dah dahhhhhhhh /bondtheme

Yeah i think the only other game i played online for an exceptional length was modern warfare 2 at about 70 hours. I think i must have total game time of 50 hours on mario kart now (nothing major i guess compared to some).

also;

Nintendo has given us confirmation that Mario Kart 8's global sell-through is approximately 2 million in less than a month, as announced by Genyo Takeda speaking on behalf of Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. Original story is below.

At Nintendo's 74th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders today, it was reported that Mario Kart 8 has sold 2 million copies worldwide in the month since its release.

This comes via Twitter user @NStyles, who is live tweeting the event. The tweet also mentions that Wii U hardware sales are generally "picking up."

If this is true, it's a stellar result for Nintendo.

Time trialling this is spectacularly addictive... Must've spent about 2 hours last night chasing a friends ghost around GBA Mario Circuit

Time Trialing is always my favourite part of Mario Kart games. The online races are great fun too, of course. Donut and Mr Pranny are terrifyingly good.

I want Donut to get back into the time trials though so I can obsess over some track for hours every time he beats me by another tenth of a second.

I tried to join you lot last night but it just kept saying that I couldn't - not an error or anything, just that I 'couldn't join at this time'.

Do I need to enter the tournament code first or anything? What is the code that most people are using?

I don't know why I'm in such a hurry to get schooled, but it just feels like a rite of passage or something :lol:

Great games last night but seriously lolololololol at how good everyone is. Regional is a total walk in the park compared to our tourney and fatsam is clearly ridiculous at this game. My comedy 21 points against everyone else's hundreds looked amusing on the leaderboards, I thank Chris for joining at 0 yesterday as well which made me feel slightly less of a super n00b.

I didn't even realise there was that short cut on the top part of the downhill ski jobby one :facepalm:

I tried to join you lot last night but it just kept saying that I couldn't - not an error or anything, just that I 'couldn't join at this time'.

Do I need to enter the tournament code first or anything? What is the code that most people are using?

I don't know why I'm in such a hurry to get schooled, but it just feels like a rite of passage or something :lol:

You go to the tournaments and enter the code which is listed in the Online folder.

I had a bizarre lag incident on regional last night. I crossed the line in 1st by a good margin, which the replay shows, but I came 3rd :/

Time trialling this is spectacularly addictive... Must've spent about 2 hours last night chasing a friends ghost around GBA Mario Circuit

Is that my time of 1.36.426? I don't even know how I did that, I wasn't really trying and now I can't get close to it again...

There's a thread on GAF about the little visual touches in this...they really didn't leave anything out:

ibtPMQCjIxbawW.gif

ipnCfS5wCZn6H.gif

• Upvote 7

Not really sure whether to post this here or in the online thread.

First of all, I'd like to apologise for my lack of contribution so far, I've mostly played with the people from grcade but I'm looking to get stuck in this weekend.

Also, I wondered if anyone had floated the idea of a cross-forum team tournament yet? I know rllmuk and grcade used to play Clubs on Fifa against each other which was great fun, and both have a good sized group of Kart regulars, so it could be exciting.

• Upvote 2

I'm getting annihilated by Harns 1 on 1 here. Pulling out three red shells in first place is a touch on the lucky side though!

Still, credit where credit is due. Well raced!

• Upvote 1

Yeah, not much you could have done against 3 reds but you came back nicely afterwards.

One on one races can be a lot of fun, cheers for that.