Mario Kart 8

hub2

Lost it big time in some of the later races last night - sometimes your mojo just goes and you make lots of silly mistakes! - but great fun nonetheless, and some fine tussling with Dismembo and Angel. Will almost certainly be on later tonight again too.

Here's a thing: on the starting grid, I always amuse myself by parping my horn and making the other racers jump. Do other people hear and see this, or does the game just do it for my benefit?

Those races last night with the 3 of us, I led most of them for 2 and a half laps but ended up red shelled into 3rd on the last lap so many times. :/

There's a real sadistic pleasure to following someone with a red shell, just waiting for them to drop their defences so you can blast them. I really like how it pays to hang onto your items longer in this version, and that there are far less ways to arbitrarily lose your item, the occasional lighting is the only things that does that now.

Lost it big time in some of the later races last night - sometimes your mojo just goes and you make lots of silly mistakes! - but great fun nonetheless, and some fine tussling with Dismembo and Angel. Will almost certainly be on later tonight again too.

Here's a thing: on the starting grid, I always amuse myself by parping my horn and making the other racers jump. Do other people hear and see this, or does the game just do it for my benefit?

Yeah, it was weird last night. I kept blowing the starts and falling off in stupid places. Places where no one falls off ever, like the inside of one of the long sweeping bends of electrodome. Driving a bit like being drunk only without the alcohol!

I was doing a weird thing where I was pressing powerslide to early and drifting in the wrong direction, and then fluffing every single shortcut, key offenders being the jumps at the end of the DK track and the Cloud one. I guess it's what happens when you go out of 'the zone' and to that strange place where you know you've played too much Mario Kart but just... can't... stop!

I was doing a weird thing where I was pressing powerslide to early and drifting in the wrong direction, and then fluffing every single shortcut, key offenders being the jumps at the end of the DK track and the Cloud one. I guess it's what happens when you go out of 'the zone' and to that strange place where you know you've played too much Mario Kart but just... can't... stop!

That's exactly what I was doing! :o

I'll be on later tonight as well, although I need to join the tourney earlier one week so I don't start at 0 while everyone is already on 300+

Are we doing / care about any other tourney settings? Not that I'm bored of it but considering it's something that's been harped on about since MK64, it's strange we've not used it!

The tourney scores dont matter, the winner is the person who hits 1020 with the closest amount to the cut off, ie: being on 1019 or something and then winning, before the clock rolls over. That plus the scores are just achieved through attrition, plus the pure randomness of the game.

We seriously need to edit the settings though. Infact I might do one later.

haha! I cheered so loud there, was right behind Jonny coming up for the end of Cloudtop Cruise. I chose the left speedpad, he chose the right, he got struck by lightning, I got the GLORY.

That was brilliant, got a "why is he mumblng 'fuuuck' to himself" look from the wife.

Still finding all sorts of ways to get evilled by MK8. Another 2 on Cloudtop Cruise: 2nd place, get 3 red shells jumping off the lightning bit, get hit with a boomerang before I can use 'em; then got twatted as I was jumping onto the 2nd shortcut leaf, leaving me stranded with no option but to drive off.

So unfair! :omg:

Last night's races were both great fun and massively frustrating in equal measure - don't ever change Mario Kart!

There's nothing better than a 10 man race for carnage and chaos. I lost count of the number of times I got ultimate comboed to the back of the pack after a single red shell in first or second :S

That said, I dished out my fair share of evil antics so it all balances out I guess.

Last nights games were cracking! And for once I wasn't getting too frustrated with it, I was laughing more at the utter chaos :) There was one race on the Royal raceway where I was boosting off the bridge when I got red shelled, takitu pulled me back to jus after the boost, so I went to drive off again and got hit with another red shell!! Takitu the put me back where he had previously, the only thing being I was 1st when I first got hit and now I was 11th (last) I could only laugh

The chaos is what drives me mad, once youre in the pack you just cant get away. Fatsam has the right idea when it works, the scooty bike has a +5 acceleration, and a heavy character has decent speed, so if he starts in pole and gets away, you can win by a good 5-10 seconds.

The skill levels are definitely off the charts now, everyone's a killer youre right. Im trying to look for amusement just within the races rather than fixating on the winning, I think everyones proved by now theyre great players. Especially now most of the casuals have moved on, there's no easy victory any more.

Whats the solution to the pack leader getting away though, blue shells arent really that common in the rllmuk room, and a high accell vehicle (like the scooty) isnt really affected. I was racing fatsam and jes last night a few times, and fired 2 reds at sam on the music track. Both reds were eaten by the giant pirahna plants :hmm:

I'm changing the set up for Toad as although the pink cat car is super cool and looks like an elephant from behind , it is rather slow

I'm torn between the fact that his lightweight is a disadvantage most times, but he has a mushroom for a head and he reminds me of the dungeons and dragons module A4 "in the dungeons of the slave lords"

It is a frustrating game in some ways as there is a random element, but I look at it like a game of cards. The better players win out over time, but they can't and don't win every game.

last night was chaos , everyone is pretty good now. My last game of the night on the airport track, i was 1st for a large majority and bet a mate a fiver i'd finish 1st or 2nd. He started to get worried when i got onto the last half of lap 3 and then i got got red shelled and green shelled and think i came 5th or 6th. Won't be making a bet like that again!

fun though. hopefully back on tonight shortly after 9.