Mario Kart 8

hub2

Weirdly, I found that I was more likely to get frustrated when playing as Bowser - his anger was rubbing off! I've since gone back to playing as Metal Mario and I mainly just laugh at the horrific events that unfold before me.

I agree with Angel that Fatsam's scooty choice seems to work in getting him away from the initial swirling meleé though. It's very hard to win when stuck in amongst the pack.

Awesome games last night, great fun. So glad to finally get a 1st over Fatsam! Was tenser than your mum's buttocks.

I kept on racing 'mirror mode' on a lot of the tracks though, I need to get back in to the right way round again!

Really agree with and am enjoying this discussion; the sheer chaos of those brilliant full matches last night was fantastic fun (assuming you can take the rough with the smooth, as Mario Kart is a fickle mistress - but that's the point, right?), and the skill levels of most 'Mukkers is just insane. I definitely think winning hinges, more often than not, getting a perfect start and a character/kart combo that allows you get ahead of the pack immediately. But I love the outrageous fortune and the sense of bloody-minded battle that being in the pack brings. More tonight, fellas?

Oh yes, though I'm thinking that I must be masochistic to enjoy the punishment that MK so frequently brings. It's strange that we all seem to return to it time and time again after receiving such a humiliating defeat - I guess that's the essence of the game - you always feel that the next race will go better.

It never does though ;)

Awesome games last night, great fun. So glad to finally get a 1st over Fatsam! Was tenser than your mum's buttocks.

I kept on racing 'mirror mode' on a lot of the tracks though, I need to get back in to the right way round again!

You will also be pleased to know that the words "Boodles you bastard" were uttered during that one. Didn't you green shell me when I was right behind? I think that was the incident.

So unfair

Weirdly, I found that I was more likely to get frustrated when playing as Bowser - his anger was rubbing off! I've since gone back to playing as Metal Mario and I mainly just laugh at the horrific events that unfold before me.

I agree with Angel that Fatsam's scooty choice seems to work in getting him away from the initial swirling meleé though. It's very hard to win when stuck in amongst the pack.

I really like the metal characters in this. You have the benefits of a heavy character, but also get to ride on the medium vehicles. Bowser obscures chunks of the road and larger vehicles are more likely to go into things due to their size. One of the reasons I choose Mr Scooty is the size. I'm not really into playing the big guy in any game to be honest. I'm guessing that you are more difficult to hit with green shells too, which is a bonus.

Plus metal Mario has some superb robotic style animations. Pink gold Peach is very odd, but she has this fluid grace to her movement, and reminds me very much of Fi from Skyward Sword, which is obviously a very very good thing.

I think metal mario gets bumped a bit still despite the weight, although he gets a solid accell and speed if you spec him well. I wonder how many people realise 3 accell is the same as 3.75 accell.

So unfair indeed, Donut;)

Last night the phrase "fuck you, XXX" was shouted loudly in my house many times, with XXX standing for, variously, you, Dismembo, Fatsam, Angel, Sygnar, Squirrel... hell, pretty much everyone;)

Interesting point about acceleration, Angel. Was it you who said there's no point in tricking off an orange speed ramp, and that it's quicker not to - is that true?

I got you with a great green shell last night jes, on dry desert, you were tootling along through the start line with a banana behind you, i fired a green at the perfect line to hit the edge of your kart from about 20 yards back. Still lost the bloody race, as we screwed each other over repeatedly as fatsam drove off into the distance.

So unfair indeed, Donut;)

Last night the phrase "fuck you, XXX" was shouted loudly in my house many times, with XXX standing for, variously, you, Dismembo, Fatsam, Angel, Sygnar, Squirrel... hell, pretty much everyone;)

Interesting point about acceleration, Angel. Was it you who said there's no point in tricking off an orange speed ramp, and that it's quicker not to - is that true?

I totally get why they didn't include voice chat throughout the game. I actually think it would be worse than the language you hear in COD!

Does anybody else have to fight the urge to not fuck somebody over with a shell so that you can use it for defensive purposes instead? It's so hard not to let rip, though strategically speaking it's usually always better to use shells as a defense.

I was punished for giving in to my darker tendencies on a couple of occasions last night - 2nd place, red shell, 1st place holder visible, shall I let rip? Of course I should says the red devil on my shoulder. So I do...only to be ripped into by a red shell from behind taking me from 2nd to last on the final corner/straight.

D'oh! Mario Kart - it's a morality tale really.

I foolishly and to my own detriment, can't help but play like a bastard, rather than a defensive tactical player, I find it too much fun to just blam people with shells, or try a novelty bit of Rick O'Shay rather than trailing stuff behind me, or if there's no one in front, keep the item and try and get the timing instead of just have an object sitting there in defense.

That's also probably why I rarely win though :D

I'll be on for the long haul tonight. 8pm start anyone?

Why am I so addicted to this stupid, pretty random, nasty and punishing game? Because I'm a sadomaazakartist. That, and you guys make it so good, you big beautiful people.