rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
hub2

Mario Kart 8

Fuck me, having a week off of this has robbed me of what little skill I had. Got absolutely bummed in the gob in those Muk games just now.

what was your name? man i really played this too much tonight!

what was your name? man i really played this too much tonight!

Crick. I was on for the last hour or so. Managed to scrape a few 3rd place finishes, apart from that I was dead last for most of my games.

I've lost my inside drifting skills on the bikes, went off the edge of the tracks far too many times.

Very slowly getting better at this grabbed a few second spots. Do like being behind a few better players when they suddenly take a shortcut that i didn't know was there.

I assume that neg is a yes then?

Sorry. Not read much of the last few pages.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I assume that neg is a yes then?

Post #4509.

I didn't neg, btw. In fact I just pos-ed. :)

It would be easier to keep up with the thread if people posted the boring "anyone online now?" queries IN THE ONLINE FOLDER.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Yeah, I do think there is some skill to the racing but the item management is badly flawed. Perhaps it's the worst of any mario kart game actually, although there are a few things they done right.

I feel some of the items are a but useless ( bombs to me seem pointless - they rarely hit who you want and have a good chance of hitting you if you throw them forward).

Coins.. I find usually I always get coins on the first item box whether I'm in first or 8th place.

Green shells are good but have a high chance of hitting yourself if you just fire them of blindly. They are more useful as defence most of the time.

Red shells.. Maybe they should just drop three red shells and limit to one.

Lightning should only affect people ahead of you ( although the current system isn't terrible, it penalises players stuck too far behind).

The "8" item on paper is a good idea but just gets too messy considering you want to get rid of them all before the next item block.

The horn is a good item for fending off the blue shell but it pretty useless if you are stuck on your own with no one around. You might as well use it and try your luck on another item box.

Blooper isn't really that difficult to avoid whilst driving, especially if you know the track. If I get hit by a blooper it doesn't really bother me.

Piranha plant is fine to use in crowded areas but can be a pain, especially when you just want it to hurry up and finish before the next item box. Same with the boomerang really.

Also, I kinda miss the old fake item boxes but they were pretty easy to avoid if you knew what they looked like.

It would be easier to keep up with the thread if people posted the boring "anyone online now?" queries IN THE ONLINE FOLDER.

There's an online folder?

• Upvote 2

I hit a lot of people with bombs but I agree, its not well balanced. In a 1v1 race if someone gets ahead then ive gone 3 laps without receiving a single useful item, all coins and bananas. But yet I get infront and am completely pelted. I noticed the bloopers actually give you slippery oily handling. I think personally itd be better with no blue shell, no holding items behind you, and no triple red. All the rest would then balance out.

I quite like the weapon balance actually. It seems a lot better than other recent Mario Kart entries. Racing skill certainly seems to be a lot more important than before, for example. Also, I like having to be careful where you aim green shells as getting caught on the rebound by your own badly aimed shot is quite funny/extremely frustrating! When you manage a decent hit with a green, it always makes you feel like a bit of a badass!

I quite like the weapon balance actually. It seems a lot better than other recent Mario Kart entries. Racing skill certainly seems to be a lot more important than before, for example. Also, I like having to be careful where you aim green shells as getting caught on the rebound by your own badly aimed shot is quite funny/extremely frustrating! When you manage a decent hit with a green, it always makes you feel like a bit of a badass!

Yeah, some of my green shell hits have been the best moments of the game. I just don't like the fact a single person can get so far ahead (be it skill or luck) which leaves everyone fighting each other behind , potentially never catching up.

I'd much rather red shells' tracking were more like their Super Mario Kart selves rather than neatly following the track for hundreds of yards until it reaches a target. A quick, close range hit is powerful enough.

I don't mind the lightning hitting all racers (though I think it might have an area of effect because I didn't get hit with it while in first place during a split screen race) since it barely impacts those in lower placings. I suspect it would have caused a lot of mid-pack racers to be crushed under 8th-12th place's wheels if it only cursed those in front. That's probably even less fair.

I also agree that you shouldn't be able to drag items forever. I'd prefer it if players were forced to time a backward shell or banana to stop approaching shells to keep first place on their toes. Maybe introduce a purely defensive item for the long-suffering middle-o'-the-pack folks can make it through the chaos?

Blue Shells are fine, though. Mario Kart is at its best when first place is cruelly robbed.

Not that I really care about items since I only play Time Trials. I deliberately beat scottcr's GBA Mario Circuit time the other day.

Yeah, some of my green shell hits have been the best moments of the game. I just don't like the fact a single person can get so far ahead (be it skill or luck) which leaves everyone fighting each other behind , potentially never catching up.

But isn't that what everyone was complaining about before? Unfair punishment of players who get ahead? You still get whacked pretty bad sometimes but nothing like in Mario Kart Wii: Blue shell, triple red shell, lightning, bomb, bullet bill, a couple of greens for good measure, then squished by a giant mushroom racer. First to last in about two seconds!

I think the balance in Mario Kart 8 is the best yet. I'd say it's my favorite Mario Kart, in fact.

But isn't that what everyone was complaining about before? Unfair punishment of players who get ahead? You still get whacked pretty bad sometimes but nothing like in Mario Kart Wii: Blue shell, triple red shell, lightning, bomb, bullet bill, a couple of greens for good measure, then squished by a giant mushroom racer. First to last in about two seconds!

I think the balance in Mario Kart 8 is the best yet. I'd say it's my favorite Mario Kart, in fact.

Yeah to be honest i didn't play MK Wii that much. I would say it's my favorite Mario Kart *online*, because i feel the single player is lacking. If it wasn't for the decent online mode, i'd probably have stopped playing a long time ago.

I actually think the DS version was pretty good with item management online but that's going back a few years so my memory might be hazy.

I just feel the game needs to do a lot more work on what items it should be giving out by judging the current positions of the racers.

I doubt they would ever do a mario kart tournament due to the random nature of the game. Kinda how they don't really run smash bros brawl tournaments because of the smash balls and whatever other changes they made.

Yeah to be honest i didn't play MK Wii that much. I would say it's my favorite Mario Kart *online*, because i feel the single player is lacking. If it wasn't for the decent online mode, i'd probably have stopped playing a long time ago.

I actually think the DS version was pretty good with item management online but that's going back a few years so my memory might be hazy.

I just feel the game needs to do a lot more work on what items it should be giving out by judging the current positions of the racers.

I doubt they would ever do a mario kart tournament due to the random nature of the game. Kinda how they don't really run smash bros brawl tournaments because of the smash balls and whatever other changes they made.

The DS one was very good online but was much easier to balance with a maximum of four players. Also many people had the tendency to just disconnect if they were losing. Also, snaking wasn't much fun. Isn't it possible to tweak weapons and what have you in the tournament settings? Maybe we could set up some kind of custom tournament?

The DS one was very good online but was much easier to balance with a maximum of four players. Also many people had the tendency to just disconnect if they were losing. Also, snaking wasn't much fun. Isn't it possible to tweak weapons and what have you in the tournament settings? Maybe we could set up some kind of custom tournament?

Oh wow it was only four players? Yeah the disconnect thing really annoyed me and forgot about snaking although never had too many issues with it.

Custom tournament might be good, although i certainly didn't find the no item tournament much fun.

Oh wow it was only four players? Yeah the disconnect thing really annoyed me and forgot about snaking although never had too many issues with it.

Custom tournament might be good, although i certainly didn't find the no item tournament much fun.

I think it's possible to customise it so you only get certain weapons, like shells only for example. Not sure how it works properly yet, as I've not tried to set anything up. Might be worth trying at some point...

I think it's possible to customise it so you only get certain weapons, like shells only for example. Not sure how it works properly yet, as I've not tried to set anything up. Might be worth trying at some point...

It's a shame you can't edit this stuff on the fly, rather than make a seperate room with new rules.

I love this game, even more so when your in the middle of the pack - it's fucking brutal. You can can have your cod and mw but it's all for nothing against the wheeled gladiatorial carnage that is mk online.

I've been on the end of my fair share of blueys/triple reds/knocked off the track combos, and also those lower player-count races where you get nothing useful at all and trail in last place for three laps, but I'm largely delighted with the balance of racing to outrageous fortune. And as Oracle says, when you're in the pack it's mental – RLLMUK races are a cut above. Head on over to Global after some 'Muking and it's a walk in the park; a few races against Fatsam, Angel, Sygnar, Dismemb0 and the like really ups your game.
Courses that I'd happily not play on for a while, though, are Dry Dry Desert, Toad's Turnpike, Music Park and Bone Dry Dunes. Although I do groan when a Rainbow Road comes up too.

• Upvote 1

I think this is the first mario kart where I've actually really enjoyed the rainbow roads. They've always looked great, of course but in the past they've been a really tortuous drive. Except in Mario 64. That one was just really dull. The new remake is ace though. I always panic a bit when approaching the huge bouncing chomps and the ripples they produce. Easy to fall off or crash into, if you're not careful.

This isnt a new problem, easily fixed by everyone attempting to target that player and even going as far as to not attack the person in 2nd.Which very rarely happens. But of course in the last lap that all goes out the window. Item management is definitely less of a thing in this game, though it does mean if youre going to do ok you ought to be using offensive items defensively. Even trailing a red shell if youre in the pack. Kerrazy 8 you can use the star first straight away and save the rest of the items if you time it right. As for knowing what items other players have you can sometimes see from your rear view. For example its easy to spot triple shells!

Is anybody else having issues with connecting to the network in MK8 ? I keep getting the cannot connect to network error. I checked the wii u settings and it's connected to the router and can go into the eshop and such like, but MK8 won't go online.

I dont understand how to do the new Rainbow Road. Any kind of speed and you're fucked on the corners.

same here

especially the ramp that seems to be there just to shoot you into space

i used to be fine on the rainbow road until i started using my character/kart combo and then it all just goes to hell. the rainbow road track we played last night, i was sliding off all the corners (especially when it kept giving me mushrooms). I was stuck at 8th for ages and then i got a rocket and it took me into the finish line at 3rd place!

also, i really like mario kart 7s rainbow road.