IGNORED

Mario Kart 8

hub2

Just to be serious for a second, if anyone is genuinely interested in understanding why some people think that Nintendo having an all white cast is at least worth commenting on, then I strongly recommended listening to Manveer Heir's talk at this year's GDC. It's almost an hour long but it's well worth the time, even if you just have it on in the background whilst you do something else.

It's a meticulously researched, well argued, angry polemic that should at least help give some context as to why you might see people raising issues like this more in the future.

And the, 'its just fantasy - so doesn't matter' argument is so annoying. If you can't see why a child might want to see someone who is 'looks like them' in their fantasy then there is no hope for you.

Talking of which, It's not unrelated why, Frozen has been disney's biggest success in years. It's side stepped the princess stereotypes that bog down peach. (And why Rosalina is so important to Nintendo)

It was good because it was the first (and, IMHO, still best) entry in the series to introduce proper OTT level design. It had big fuck off cannons that shot you towards volcanos, etc.

That's the worst feature of modern Mario Kart, though. (Okay, second worst. First worst is blue shells.)

Those sections are almost non-interactive and only serve to suddenly change the scenery. It's almost like putting a cutscene in the middle of a race.

Has there been any TV commercials for this yet or bill poster campaigns? I haven't seen any. I'm wondering if Nintendo are going to capitalise on all the good will vibes surrounding this? For instance the Guardian have their review on their front page banner. That's great PR but are Nintendo listening and will they back it up??

That's the worst feature of modern Mario Kart, though. (Okay, second worst. First worst is blue shells.)

Those sections are almost non-interactive and only serve to suddenly change the scenery. It's almost like putting a cutscene in the middle of a race.

Yeah, I also don't like the floating bits they introduced, they feel a bit slow and lacking control. They should have adopted the Sonic Transformed approach to flying sections, i.e. very nimble and exciting:

Which is pretty much the Diddy Kong Racing approach, thinking about it

What? Barrel rolling round corners was fantastic, infinitely more fun than slowly floating off a ramp in a straight line with limited control of your vehicle.

The variety was what made it exciting though, especially when you got to choose which type of vehicle to tackle a section with and race against people in a different type of transport.

Whereas those floating bits in MK only serve to slow down the action. I normally just tilt forwards and whack into the ground as quickly as possible to get it over with :lol:

Of course, I haven't played 8 yet. They seem to have borrowed a lot from Transformed (including the barrel-scraping roster) and I'm really looking forward to it.

Edit - I don't really like the treacle-controls underwater bits either, not too many of those I hope

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was an amazing game, I played it for many dozens of hours and loved it to bits. I really wondered what Nintendo would have to come up with to beat it.

However, Mario Kart 8 just blows Sonic's latest racing game clean out of the water, if only because of the insane level of polish and refinement. Visually and physics-wise, it's just on an entirely different level.

Sure, Sonic Racing offers more diversity, but Mario Kart 8 is a much more focused yet highly enjoyable experience.

Both are great, but the hat tip goes to Nintendo for actually reclaiming the crown :hat:

Transformed is a really fun and well-made karting game, but (terrible Battle Mode aside) this is on a different level. It's the most fun I've had with anything this year, by some way. And the music is almost as wonderful as the graphics. It's gold-tier Nintendo.

Except it wasn't a cutscene and it happened in real-time and you could literally see other people getting shot out of the cannon which told you where they were and you could even use the cannon to not get hit by things like the blue shell which I fucking did so I used it in a gameplay context and it also it just looked and sounded really fucking cool so yeah ehr shut up.

Yeah I loved the cannons, especially when you're right behind someone. That moment where you're both locked in flying through the air, unable to impact the positions at all is so tense and that momentary pause gets you revved up for the landing and then it's on like Donkey Kong.

Sure, Sonic Racing offers more diversity, but Mario Kart 8 is a much more focused yet highly enjoyable experience.

How does MK8 focus on ghosts and time trials?! I'm getting really worried about the near total lack of anyone saying anything about it.

However, Mario Kart 8 just blows Sonic's latest racing game clean out of the water, if only because of the insane level of polish and refinement. Visually and physics-wise, it's just on entire level.

Just when I thought I couldn't be any more excited. You drop these words. Turns out I COULD be more excited

fantastic arguments mate well done cheers

It was good because it was the first (and, IMHO, still best) entry in the series to introduce proper OTT level design. It had big fuck off cannons that shot you towards volcanos, etc. The level design was just so daring and rich and bonkers and way more vertical than ever before. Even its more normal racing tracks, like Yoshi Circuit or the super simple Baby Park, were fantastic, with all their twists and turns and possibilities to take nifty shortcuts or drift into powerboosts. Also: it was the first to truly nail the whole drift-powerboost thing. It was the first Mario Kart to truly feel 3D, too, whereas games like Mario Kart 64 and Super Circuit just felt like really pretty versions of Super Mario Kart, still. Double Dash also didn't give a single fuck about anything or anyone.

Mario Kart DS was really good, too, but the snaking ruined the game competitively and the level design felt less inventive (the fact that Yoshi Circuit was in there as a retro track really showed the difference in quality). Mario Kart Wii was so mediocre that it couldn't hold my attention for more than a few days (it's the only game in the series I haven't completely three-starred/played to death) and Mario Kart 7 was a return to form but similar in quality to MK DS.

Anyway, Mario Kart 8 is easily my second favorite game of the series; it just feels sliiiiiiightly tame compared to DD.

(If I had to put the series in order, it'd be: MK DD > MK8 > MK DS > MK 7 > MK SS > SMK > MK 64 > MK Wii)

neg you are literally everything i hate about gamers

Waluigi is playable.

I can see what you mean about the track design, I just didn't enjoy the game. The handling just feels wrong and the music is really insipid. Classic Gamecube era Nintendo really, a good game by anybody else's standard but just lacking 'something'. I actually loved the Wii version, 2nd best after SNES for me, so I guess we just have different tastes!