Mario Kart 8

hub2

Some of the shortcuts in Mario Kart 64 were so ugly though; like the Wario Stadium wall hop (and the course, bar one excellent jump, was a chore without taking the shortcut) and the Mario Circuit wall skip which would see you bounding into an undrawn void. Compared to other games in the series it was a really slow racer too; there was no real sense that you'd gained a burst of speed when using a mushroom. That and it looks horrible.

I don't really like Mario Kart 64. It's the only game in the series I don't enjoy playing these days. I haven't played Mario Kart Wii.

Mario Kart Wii was rubbish. To accommodate waggle they made the roads ridiculously wide. I don't do waggle so played it with a Gamecube controller which gives you great tight control. But you don't need great tight control if your average bend is wider than a motorway. So yeah, rubbish.

Whenever I see or play more recent Mario Karts it just makes me desperate to play Super Mario Kart. The original and still the best. So, so good.

It doesn't have a four player mode so it can't be the best one. Time trials are for shit compared to a multiplayer bloodbath.

Mario Kart Wii was rubbish. To accommodate waggle they made the roads ridiculously wide. I don't do waggle so played it with a Gamecube controller which gives you great tight control. But you don't need great tight control if your average bend is wider than a motorway. So yeah, rubbish.

Im pretty sure the tracks were wide to accommodate 12 player multiplayer, not 'waggle'. I hate that word, tilt controls are not 'waggle', pointer controls are not 'waggle', but they all get lumped together. Waggle is pointless stuff like shaking to swing your sword in Twilight Princess, where a shake replaces a button press without any actual gameplay advantage.

I hate that word, tilt controls are not 'waggle'

Of course it is, it's using the same motion but a bit slower and you're holding it differently. If you have a slow wank at a fruity angle, it's still a wank.

Waggle is pointless stuff like shaking to swing your sword in Twilight Princess, where a shake replaces a button press without any actual gameplay advantage.

Fair enough, but what gameplay advantage does tilting the remote in MWKii offer over using the stick? It's more limited in any sense I can think of, such as in terms of centering or knowing you're at the extremes of turning. It's by no means unusable but there'd be no loss for it not being there.

When every other controller provided tighter controls than the wheel, it's waggle.

Utter rubbish. I've managed to Gold Cup all of the classes, unlock most of the characters and gain a reasonable online rating and I've only ever used the wheel. It's perfectly fine way of controlling the game and isn't remotely "waggle".

Utter rubbish. I've managed to Gold Cup all of the classes, unlock most of the characters and gain a reasonable online rating and I've only ever used the wheel. It's perfectly fine way of controlling the game and isn't remotely "waggle".

Exactly. I 2 starred everything using only the wheel, of course it's not quite as precise as using a stick, but to my mind it's much more fun way to play.

Its usable, but proper control is with the nunchuk. The wheel is party game waggle. Can you imagine anyone in MLG or something using it?

This is pure snobbery really. It's not Street Fighter, you're not counting frames or worried about actions per second. It's fucking Mario Kart.

The same MK that used to be about shaving milliseconds off laps in time trials, is now a random party game where anyone can win any race.

The same MK that has some completely militant time trial times still set on it in 6 and 7 and the ghost implementation on the Wii for your nearest time to beat and so on is still some of the best use of online matching for a racing game I think I've ever seen.

The same MK that used to be about shaving milliseconds off laps in time trials, is now a random party game where anyone can win any race.

Erm. That does nothing to dispel my point about you being a snob about this. Time trials are still in but why on earth should games be less inclusive?

Yes, you can do it with the wheel, but my point was that they made the courses stupidly wide to accomodate the less precise control afforded. Fine if your using the wheel. Tedious if your using a controller.

Yes, you can do it with the wheel, but my point was that they made the courses stupidly wide to accomodate the less precise control afforded. Fine if your using the wheel. Tedious if your using a controller.

But they didn't! How imprecise do you think the wheel is? The tracks are wider to fit in the extra racers.

I didn't say it isn't possible, but it sure isn't optimal by a long way.

What do you consider high level? I got pretty good, I was using a bike character, constantly wheelieing so I would end up miles ahead. Almost every time I would get blue shelled, or bullet billed on the line. No lead was enough.