rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
merman

Zeppelin Games

Anyone else a fan?

My personal favourite has to be Zybex on the C64. Two quid for a game that was better than R-Type and Salamander. Great weapon system, nice graphics, awesome title tune and the option to choose the order you played the levels in.

Also had a soft spot for Arnie by Chris Butler.

• Upvote 2

They did an awesome motorbike racing game for the Atari 800XL. I'll be damned if I can find it on the internet, but it really was impressive for the £2.99 it cost. Zybex was also a fave of mine, and even their premium title Draconus (which I think they just published) was of excellent quality.

Infact towards the end of my 8-bit life, Zeppelin games produced some of the best titles on the machine.

Yeah big time. Zybex was a bit of a stunner. I enjoyed Draconus too (i was a big fan of that style of "glass-like" graphics).

Ninja commando was a lovely single screen fighting game and Ball-blasta was nice too. At the time i could ill afford the bigger titles so i went down the route of buying "slut" games In Mitcham where i was living. An electrical shop near to KFC sold them. Its all changed now but the amount of swaps i did was huge. An it smelt funny. Like old. And electrical.

Tooting also had a video game shop near the BR station that did budget stuff. I got my first look at an Amiga game there (Defender of the Crown i think). Fucking amazing. Anyway they did the Power House games with those really cool covers (by Chris Foss i think)

RG really needs to do a big thing about Zepplin, Firebird, The Power House, Players and Bulldog.

Mastertronic/codies probably deserve their own.

I'm sure Retro Gamer covered Mastertronic. I might be mistaken though. These guys were the true heroes of schoolkids like me, making gaming affordable and allowing me to actually buy games with pocketmoney instead of saving up for ages to spend £10 on a U.S.Gold arcade tie-in stinker.

Yeah Mastertronic and a few others were the only reason I could afford gaming back in the day and thankfully unlike what we get now with most budget releases a lot of them were stone cold classics.

180(Mastertronic).jpg

:wub:

Was the Zepplin game this

mountain_bike_racer_k7.jpg

• Upvote 1

Zybex and Draconus were essential late-era game on the C64 IMHO, especially at a budget price. I probably played Zybex a lot more (great weapon systems if I recall - a sort of Gradius/Side Arms vibe) as Draconus was pretty hard, probably because of the size of the main sprite. Great looking games though.

Were they both originally Atari 8-bit games?

• Upvote 1

Yeah, thats kinda why i love them now. To be fair they did do a couple of stonking racers on the Ps1. Really pushed the boat out at the time.

Yeah big time. Zybex was a bit of a stunner. I enjoyed Draconus too (i was a big fan of that style of "glass-like" graphics).

Ninja commando was a lovely single screen fighting game and Ball-blasta was nice too. At the time i could ill afford the bigger titles so i went down the route of buying "slut" games In Mitcham where i was living. An electrical shop near to KFC sold them. Its all changed now but the amount of swaps i did was huge. An it smelt funny. Like old. And electrical.

Tooting also had a video game shop near the BR station that did budget stuff. I got my first look at an Amiga game there (Defender of the Crown i think). Fucking amazing. Anyway they did the Power House games with those really cool covers (by Chris Foss i think)

RG really needs to do a big thing about Zepplin, Firebird, The Power House, Players and Bulldog.

Mastertronic/codies probably deserve their own.

This thread is research/background for a Zeppelin feature. Players was in the recent Interceptor piece. Early RG had a big article on Mastertronic with input from Anthony Guter (search online and you may find his various Mastertronic articles/sites).

• Upvote 2

Just looking at a list of Zeppelin Games releases and it's flooding back.

Arcade Fruit Machine: Cash & Grab, played that tons back in the early 90s (loved fruit machine games for some reason). Arnie I played just recently and yes, it's a quality game but really hard. Blinky's Scary School was also a decent little arcade adventure with a superb title tune.

They may not have been the most original games out there, but generally Zeppelin had high production values and you couldn't really quibble over the price. Towards the end of the 8-bit computer era the budget labels like Zeppelin, Players, etc were putting out interesting and playable games.

Edit: my experience of Zeppelin Games was on the C64.

For the title tune:

Arnie 1 and 2 on the C64 were absolutely awesome games.

See, I didn't enjoy the sequel as much personally. The graphics were a bit messy and flickered a lot.