rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Silent Runner

Ray Donovan - New Showtime series starring Liev Schreiber and Jon Voight

Really up and down season 4 , the finale was pretty poor overall and as people mentioned, everything was wrapped up far too tidily.  Seems like they're running out of steam with it,few really lazy  and quite cowardly choices in it.

Spoiler

Disappearing cancer- just to make sure nothing causes the season to end on a downer . Also getting out of the FBI charges so easily and managing to make 2 million disappear to the bookies without anyone giving a shit.

Still, both Mickey and Ray are immensely watchable and it  could keep trundling along on their charisma  alone for another couple of seasons.

Just struggled through the first Ep of S5. Bloody awful episode. So dull. Very confusingly written. Good result though.

It's still very good and really well shot.  Not sure I'm liking the time jumping story telling, but it seems to be done well and answering certain questions at the right time.

It's coming across as a slower burn than previous seasons, though, which isn't helping.

I sort of felt like they may be winding the show down this season, but it's been renewed for another. And (don't know if it's really a spoiler, but people are sensitive)

Spoiler

its moving to New York.

I never even managed to start this season. It felt like it had run its course but not in a good way.

Three episodes into the fifth series and it's mind-numbingly dull. Does it get any better? It doesn't sound like it from the comments above, but thought I'd check before giving up on a show this far along.

On 11/17/2017 at 01:11, Nequests said:

Three episodes into the fifth series and it's mind-numbingly dull. Does it get any better? It doesn't sound like it from the comments above, but thought I'd check before giving up on a show this far along.

No it doesn't. I mean Mickey is still watchable but the rest of the cast and characters are woeful. There's plenty of better programs out there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Nequests said:

It's a shame, really. I thought it started well enough but this and the last series are dreadful.

Yeah it is a shame, it's like they really didn't know where the story was going and hence it's all a bit humdrum

Well unsurprisingly it has been cancelled. I have to say that I enjoyed it less and less, the more it took its focus away from Ray and featured more of his whiney brothers. When they moved it to New York it didn't really work for me at all. 

I basically took the previous season as the end and didn't bother with the move to New York.

Well I for one will miss it and am very sad there won't be a finale season. :(

I thought the last two seasons in New York were a refreshing change and breathed new life into the show and dropped some dead weight along the way.  This last season especially was fantastic and I think Liv Schreiber's performance was easily as good as Jon Voight's.

I've been waiting for the next episode for season 7, hadn't realised that it looks like it stopped at episode 10 - that was the finale!!??

We bowed out of it a couple of episodes into this season. Me and Mrs FishyFish were spending more time looking at our phones than actually watching the TV while it was on. 

It lost its way a while back I thought.

I have mixed feelings about the cancellation. I loved the first four seasons - it was my favourite show for a while. Season 5 was a chore though. I gave up on it several times and only finally watched it on Now TV for something to do on holiday last year. The only episode I can really remember was the one where Abby and Ray go to Las Vegas. Season 6 was a move in the right direction. New York freshened it up and it's always great to see  Herc from The Wire. It was still a little bleak though - whiny Ray is not the best Ray. I've seen the first couple of episodes of season 7 and it's really growing on me again. The end of episode 2 where they are trying to tell stories about Mickey is classic Ray Donovan. I am pretty sure I read this season ends on a cliffhanger too which is always frustrating. Anyway, Sláinte Donovans.