rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Mentazm

Do you care about gesture control?

Do you care about gesture control?  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As per title. MS are putting all their eggs in one basket by bundling the Kinect, that no gamer I know wants, with the Xbone and adding a hefty margin on to the price.

My question is, and one MS should have asked as a dashboard poll on 360 or something, Do you care about gesture control?

I don't. I feel like an idiot shouting voice commands, I hate controlling games with gestures. Nothing is as accurate as a pad or keyboard and mouse.

Yeah, same here. Voice controls are incompatible with my reserved self, gestures are pointless crap. We have a kinect and loads of kinect games. Biggest gaming waste of money in ten years.

Even dance games, something you'd expect kinect to excel at, the kids prefer to play on the Wii version because the Xbox versions are harder to get a decent score. Turns out the old kinect is already *too accurate*.

My question is, and one MS should have asked as a dashboard poll on 360 or something, Do you care about gesture control?

Pretty sure they did ask on one of the Xbox Rewards polls.

Or caters directly to them? There are differing levels of disabilities, from having no thumbs, to not being able to sit still for any amount of time. Could be perfect for some.

• Upvote 6

I wonder how many of those millions of Kinects are in active use. The Wii sold a gajilion consoles, most of them ended up at the back of peoples' cupboards.

I've got no interest in it but I can imagine young children loving it. The 8 year old me would have lost his nut if he'd been able to shout instructions at videogame characters or control them by flailing his arms about.

Voice control I don't mind, I could get used to it, and I can imagine it being beneficial in situations where complex menu/command can be accessed by simply saying a couple of words. I use Siri all the time for things like this so I'm used to it.

Gestures, no, I have no interest in them at all.

I've only seen one game where the Kinect voice control was cool, which was the golf game Rare did. You could ask for your clubs from your caddy, or say "What club do you recommend?".

That works because a real golfer does that.

Real soldiers don't shout GRENADE to start a grenade's fuse.

I wonder how many of those millions of Kinects are in active use. The Wii sold a gajilion consoles, most of them ended up at the back of peoples' cupboards.

You know this how?

I like the Wii U GamePad, but I'll miss the Wiimote. After Pikmin, I'll be surprised if it sees much use outside of multiplayer games.

I am currently the lone "yes" vote.

I can imagine in a couple of years I'll have an Xbone in the family room, and my two girls will love Kinect. I can even see us (as a family) using the other non-gaming stuff they've discussed such as Skype etc.

I'll likely have a PS4 in my man den (small corner of spare room) though.

I wanted to care. Wii Sports made me care. It still feels great to hit a home run out of the park. So, I was massively excited to finally flail my arms at Fruit Ninja Kinect. But, it just didn't feel right. There is just a little bit too much of a disconnect (dis-Kinect?) between motion and response that spoils it for me. To be fair, I have not tried Dance Central yet, but I genuinely can't be bothered saying "XBOX. DO STUFF" all the time.

I love(d) Will Sports but other than that wiggle waggle hasn't been my favourite control method. I may pick up a sensor bar and wiimote for my Wii U to play some of the wagglers I missed out on but it's a novelty rather than anything else.

I'm sure the results of this poll will be very surprising and informative.

Quite - self-selecting for the win.

Besides, if only one method of control was "the best" for all things and we never tried anything new, we'd all still be playing with joysticks.

And all FPSs would be controlled using a keyboard (no mouse!).

Quite - self-selecting for the win.

Besides, if only one method of control was "the best" for all things and we never tried anything new, we'd all still be playing with joysticks.

And all FPSs would be controlled using a keyboard (no mouse!).

On the other hand, the Mouse shows that it is possible to hit a point where people are happy with what they have.

• Upvote 1

I wanted to care. Wii Sports made me care. It still feels great to hit a home run out of the park. So, I was massively excited to finally flail my arms at Fruit Ninja Kinect. But, it just didn't feel right. There is just a little bit too much of a disconnect (dis-Kinect?) between motion and response that spoils it for me. To be fair, I have not tried Dance Central yet, but I genuinely can't be bothered saying "XBOX. DO STUFF" all the time.

The thing about the wiimote is that it was perfect. It was a device that bridged the gap between the user and the user interface. With the Kinect, there's too much ambiguity.

Speaking of gesture control, does anybody bother with the mouse gesture control apps on Chrome (or Firefox if there are any)? That felt weird and wrong too.

The wiimote wasn't perfect, even with the motion plus add on.

Move is better, but Sony seem determined to cripple it in order to win a few internet kudos.

I'm not sure including Kinect as standard is the mistep, but rather the failure to sell it is. If MS think Kinect is the way forward then I think they have to show people that it is. Clearly talking to your television hasn't convinced people, and they haven't really presented anything at E3 that's compelling.

I want gesture stuff to work because I think that it will work really well with Oculus rift stuff (so you can 'see' your arms in the game).

Immersive!

but for normal gaming I could not give two hoots about it.

Imagine a hypothetical fridge with a touch-screen interface so you can browse the internet, look up recipes or watch TV in your kitchen as you cook. I'm not about to junk my current fridge for a new one for that feature. If my fridge breaks, I'm not about to spend extra on a fancy model with this feature. But come a day where it's impossible to buy a fridge without it, then I'll have one. I'll probably use it. "A fridge has a touch screen," I'll think, just as it has a door and some shelves. That's just what a fridge is. It's still gonna keep my beer cold.

Gestures, voice support, they're the same as the fridge. I don't care enough about them to drop everything, or to pay extra for the feature. But one day, when they're commonplace, I'll use them without thinking about whether I care about them. My games are still going to have physical input devices.

Nobody seems to think about the nuances of gesture control when it can be used as standard by everyone.

At the moment Kinect is basically just wii style mini games and random flailing about stuff but what if you can just use it when it makes sense, for small things that are annoying to do on a controller. Everyone talks about Metal Gear 2 as amazing, when you have to unplug the controller and put it in player 2 or whatever, well kinect offers that kind of experience, what if the game just throws up a challenge, you've got to go get something that looks like a wheel, instead of running to some other place in the game world to find a wheel you just grab a plate or a biscuit and there, you have a wheel to control a vehicle.

Imagine all of the ways you can use voice / gesture in games to solve puzzles, you are bond and you have a voice changer, you have to go and record the mark's voice and then you can speak into the voice changer to activate a security door, this isn't you pressing a context sensitive button to hear a person in the game speak, it is you speaking and hearing your voice come out as the other character, that's a level of immersion currently not available, it's really exciting to me.

Even Keypads or lock picking or what about the mini games in shenmue where you had to catch leaves or move boxes, sure give people the option to do it with the controller but I would MUCH rather do those things myself, to feel part of the game, they for me were the immersion breakers because the motions I was doing repeatedly with the controller just didn't match up with the on screen actions.

If you love gears of war and other arcade style games where immersion isn't important ( oh look, a gun just appeared on the floor, it's the exact type of gun you need to defeat the enemy you just ran into, brilliant! ) then maybe these things are just stupid to you and you just want to press buttons and see numbers appear or whatever, but that's not what games are like to me, I want to experience something and I think kinect gives me that opportunity. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't done so yet at all, but I'm excited about the possibilty that it could.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

Or caters directly to them? There are differing levels of disabilities, from having no thumbs, to not being able to sit still for any amount of time. Could be perfect for some.

The problem with "disabilities" is that there are absolutely tons of variables in what people can and cannot do, or what they'd prefer to do. In the meantime, more games should make as many control/sound/visual variables as available as possible at all times, to the point where they can't be removed/altered to change the gameplay. How many games have options for colour blindness, as an example? Why can't there be standards for sound levels, for people who are hard of hearing or who struggle with certain frequencies? Or the most stupid problem in how many games don't even let you do something as basic as changing the fucking button actions on a standard controller.

A great terrible example is Rock Band; after RB2, Traveller's Tales did Lego Rock Band which included an auto-kick option, intended for children who couldn't reach the pedal on the kit but also helpful for those without the use of their legs. Was this option in RB3, which came well after LRB? Was it fuck.

Nobody seems to think about the nuances of gesture control when it can be used as standard by everyone.

At the moment Kinect is basically just wii style mini games and random flailing about stuff but what if you can just use it when it makes sense, for small things that are annoying to do on a controller. Everyone talks about Metal Gear 2 as amazing, when you have to unplug the controller and put it in player 2 or whatever, well kinect offers that kind of experience, what if the game just throws up a challenge, you've got to go get something that looks like a wheel, instead of running to some other place in the game world to find a wheel you just grab a plate or a biscuit and there, you have a wheel to control a vehicle.

Imagine all of the ways you can use voice / gesture in games to solve puzzles, you are bond and you have a voice changer, you have to go and record the mark's voice and then you can speak into the voice changer to activate a security door, this isn't you pressing a context sensitive button to hear a person in the game speak, it is you speaking and hearing your voice come out as the other character, that's a level of immersion currently not available, it's really exciting to me.

Even Keypads or lock picking or what about the mini games in shenmue where you had to catch leaves or move boxes, sure give people the option to do it with the controller but I would MUCH rather do those things myself, to feel part of the game, they for me were the immersion breakers because the motions I was doing repeatedly with the controller just didn't match up with the on screen actions.

If you love gears of war and other arcade style games where immersion isn't important ( oh look, a gun just appeared on the floor, it's the exact type of gun you need to defeat the enemy you just ran into, brilliant! ) then maybe these things are just stupid to you and you just want to press buttons and see numbers appear or whatever, but that's not what games are like to me, I want to experience something and I think kinect gives me that opportunity. Don't get me wrong, it hasn't done so yet at all, but I'm excited about the possibilty that it could.

This is why I'll be getting a PS4.
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

You serious?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Of course gesture control is important, how else are we getting to the holodeck? Kinect is the 2600 of gesture control. You have to start somewhere.

Could just skip these physical input devices and go for the direct neural connection route to The Matrix, the ultimate end goal is making completely believable alternative reality simulations, direct neural interfaces gets you there.