IGNORED

Metal Gear Solid 3

Josh128

Just played through mgs2, thought it was pretty good despite the story being absolutely retarded. I've just started mgs3, and thus far I find it extremely disappointing , especially after all the hype I've heard about it. The camera sucks, the support is lame, and its fucking ridiculously difficult to complete even the first mission. Seriously, with no radar and crappy camera, the guards always spot me before I even see them. I have about 3 hours in the game and have yet to reach sokolov (playing on normal).

Can anyone here sell me on why this game is generally considered one of the best in the series? Im about ready to use the disc for target practice.

W.T.F? Game isn't that hard, if they spot you just run away and hide in some grass or something. Use the binoculars to scout ahead. Learn to use the camouflage so you're less likely to be spotted. Also learn CQC. I played the original version and had no problems with the camera though they did improve it in the Subsistence version.

Story is more interesting than 2 IMO and less cutscene heavy, some really cool sequences and bosses, just generally a much tighter game than it's predecessor.

Which platform are you playing this on?

I find it very interesting that you've written this, as I have felt very similar sentiments towards MGS3 on my first play through (I am still going). I bought MGSHD on the Vita, and blitzed through MGS2. I loved it; I couldn't put it down. Took me right back into the MGS universe (which I have been out of since 1998) and thoroughly enjoyed it. I also very much enjoyed the storyline, especially with today's internet and Government, and more recently, PRISM.

I instantly booted up MGS3 and loved the intro, and then found it slow and almost impossible to play. The lack of radar was a huge blow; and I didn't like the camera angles so much. I think I am around 6 hours into this game now, but I have only played sporadically over the last few months due to both work commitments, and generally melancholy towards the game. However, I am just starting to get into it. I have just left the large busted house, hopefully for the last time, and have headed North into a new section.

I have found the game so far to be hugely different to MGS2. I almost wanted to give up, and did for a while. However, I found that running away when spotted, and generally shooting everything and anything, is good fun. I'm not so keen on repairing injuries or whatever... I'd rather crack on.

My advice would be to stick with it. I am also following this advice. I am hoping that things improve, including my feelings towards the game, as I have bought MGS4 in prep for when I finish MGS3... I also bought Rising!

The differences between MGS3 and its predecessors are huge. Where before you had a kind of hide-and-seek Pac Man where you could rush around the levels at high pace so long as you stayed out of people's way and didn't tread on any obviously audible surfaces, Snake Eater requires that you treat each areas a miniature mission, scoping out the enemy, working out a path, learning to use the camouflage well and being careful to tread quietly to avoid detection (you need to use the d-pad to move slowly, if you aren't already).

It took me ages to grow accustomed to its ways, but when you do it reveals itself to be a phenomenally good game.

A little disclosure here first: I played through the original MGS on PS1 not long after it released and as a bonafide N64 fan, I loved it as it brought things that simply couldnt be done on the 64. Several years later I bought and played through MGS: Twin Snakes for my GC, and though it seemed to lack the "magic" that the original had in some way, it was still a crackin' good game. It has some frame rate issues not holding 60 nearly as good as MGS2, but that aside its probably the version to play if you missed the PS1 gen.

Last Christmas my bro got me the MGS collection for PS2, so I just started playing it (starting with MGS2: Substance) about a month ago. I had never played the game, though I had seen it at a friends house when it first came out. I heard mixed things about it. I finished it about a week ago, and though the story was a real trip (especially once you get to arsenal gear, it just goes over the top, almost to the point of being laughable), I did enjoy it. I know Kojima was trying to make the player himself feel like a pawn in a much bigger game, but it was a bit too much for me, storywise. Gameplay wise I thought it was excellent, and the 60 fps frame rate complimented the gameplay well. Raiden was really a whiney-baby for someone who supposedly was such a great child-warrior though...

So this week I popped in MGS3: Subsistence (not sure how it differs from Snake Eater, anyone feel free to explain) and the mapless, low tech 1960's, 30 fps world was a bit jarring. Snake feels much slower and a bit laggier to control, and the enemies just seem to catch me no matter what I do. I tried going through as the game said, crawling, staying in leaves, not shooting anyone, etc.-- but turns out its almost impossible to get through the first area without darting some guards in the neck, as there are just too many of them and they really dont stray far from their posts. Maybe I'm too impatient, but it appears to be much more difficult to sneak past guards than in previous games.

One big gripe I have is that once I get past a guard and get near/into the house where Sokolov is, everytime I try to move on I hear "Huh? What was that noise?" and guards are moving toward me ( and I dont know where the fuck they are because there is no radar), and they always catch me. Its a bit aggravating actually. I also find the support cast to be a bit, how should I put it, lame? The "Save" chick constantly talks about movies, the weapons /close quarter combat expert is a woman (not to sound chauvinist, but c'mon, this is set in the 1960's, its just not believeable), and Major Tom, well, yeah the name about sums it up.

One final gripe is that it seems to take FOREVER for the damn "Caution" to clear and many times it resets back to 100 before reaching 0...??? Not sure why that is and maybe I'm getting too impatient in my old age (been gaming since '84), but it seems more excessive than the previous titles.

I'm not bitching just for the sake of it, these are genuine concerns-- but, I haven't written the game off yet, I really am just getting started in it and I hope I will get the hang of it, but it is definitely a big change from the previous titles. Cheers.

I can't believe that someone just criticised an element of a Metal Gear Solid game for not "being believable". Wait until you progress the plot a bit, your chauvinistic little brain will explode ;)

Aanyway, went back to MGS3 today having written it off back in the PS2 days (stupid camera angle, didn't really like MGS1 or 2 in the first place, wasn't too hard to not bother), thanks to having the HD collection free on the Vita. Well, the new camera angle makes things a lot easier, but also makes clear just how simplistic the stealth is - it may be slightly more advanced than the previous games' "Pacman with Alert States", but it's hardly Thief. Still, scoping out the areas then taking advantage of the idiotic guards to sneak by unseen is satisfying in its own way, and blitzing the Virtuous Mission is pleasant enough, in a completely unchallenging way. Perhaps I should have tried Hard mode, assuming that makes NPCs a bit more capable of noticing you? I also note that the verbal diarrhoea and endless cutscenes of the previous games remain a factor, however, which is doing its best to spoil my enjoyment of the game. I'll keep pushing ahead for now, though.

The touchscreen controls can fuck right off, though. Particularly the "accidentally tap the rear touchscreen, punch the air like a moron" feature.

So this week I popped in MGS3: Subsistence (not sure how it differs from Snake Eater, anyone feel free to explain)

The main difference to the single player is that Snake Eater only had the bird's eye view/automatic camera (the only control you had over it was to pan it north-south-east-west a little). Subsistence added the fully controllable manual camera.

The original PS2 version of Subsistence also added an online multiplayer mode (obviously unusable these days), added the Secret Theater comedy cutscenes (which sadly aren't in the HD Collection version :(), and gave American players access to European Extreme and some other options from the EU version.

and the mapless, low tech 1960's, 30 fps world was a bit jarring. Snake feels much slower and a bit laggier to control, and the enemies just seem to catch me no matter what I do. I tried going through as the game said, crawling, staying in leaves, not shooting anyone, etc.-- but turns out its almost impossible to get through the first area without darting some guards in the neck, as there are just too many of them and they really dont stray far from their posts.

Maybe I'm too impatient, but it appears to be much more difficult to sneak past guards than in previous games.

Yes, it is. A big reason for that is that you can't just do the MGS2 thing of running past them 1mm outside their cone of vision, because they'll hear you - you have to switch to the slow D-pad creeping in order to be silent!

But I've never played MGS2 or 3 trying to simply sneak past everyone. I consider tranquilising them all to sleep a perfectly acceptable tactic. However, I tend to treat that as Plan B - my first choice of tactic is to try and sneak up on, hold up, and interrogate everyone I can. (I'm exactly the same in Splinter Cell as well.) I wouldn't consider myself to have truly completed the game unless I'd done that with every single guard! (I never have.)

One big gripe I have is that once I get past a guard and get near/into the house where Sokolov is, everytime I try to move on I hear "Huh? What was that noise?" and guards are moving toward me ( and I dont know where the fuck they are because there is no radar), and they always catch me. Its a bit aggravating actually.

IIRC there's a guard on the roof there who might be spotting you.

Are you trying to do that section by sneaking past without tranquilising anyone at all? No wonder you're finding it hard! Like I say, it doesn't matter whether you do it from close or long range, but if you take them out as you go along, so no-one can spot you from behind, it really does make it a lot easier.

One final gripe is that it seems to take FOREVER for the damn "Caution" to clear and many times it resets back to 100 before reaching 0...??? Not sure why that is and maybe I'm getting too impatient in my old age (been gaming since '84), but it seems more excessive than the previous titles.

Yeah, it does take a lot longer to count down out of the Caution phase than in any of the earlier games, and it's almost never practical to wait for it to do so. (Although there are certain situations when it will count down to zero almost instantly - and IIRC not just when everyone in the area is out of action.)

I suppose they made it like that because they wanted to force players to think on their feet rather than memorising patterns, so they balanced it so that if you gave them even the slightest hint you were there, you'd be spending the majority of your time with them actively searching for you.

I wouldn't worry about the female CQC expert in the '60s - it's a blip. The rest of the game is entirely grounded in reality.

I can't believe that someone just criticised an element of a Metal Gear Solid game for not "being believable". Wait until you progress the plot a bit, your chauvinistic little brain will explode ;)

Ha ha... alright, I just got to Sokolov-- ironically after my little gripe fest, I turned it on a couple evenings ago and got to him on my very first attempt (I took no prisoners with the dart gun though)!! I take back what I said about the female "badass" -- once a helicopter sneaked up on me while I was on a rope bridge, carrying "wasp man" and that other creep, and having seen "lightning man", this "boss" chick taking my gun from me, taking it apart and throwing the pieces at me, breaking my arm, and throwing me off the bridge did seem a lot more believable lol!!

I dont know what I was smoking, thinking it was going to be even a little bit realistic-- I mean, MGS 1 (outside of Psycho Mantis) was remotely believable, but after MGS 2 having Vamp running up walls and essentially being invincible (and a host of other crazy things), I should have known better. :doh:

That said, I look forward to more craziness, I'm sure its coming sooner than later! :facepalm:

Are you trying to do that section by sneaking past without tranquilising anyone at all? No wonder you're finding it hard!

Wait, you could assault them? I only used the pistol for the beehive - I'd assumed that what they said about not being spotted or engaging the enemy made that a failstate. I really didn't see the difficulty in that section, though - it was basically "crawl in some grass, crawl in some more grass, crawl under the floor, wait for the guards to look somewhere else, jump over some bricks, walk to a door". Maybe I was just lucky.

Also, does that mean that engaging the enemy alters the following cutscene at all? Surely dead/tranq'd soldiers couldn't hold you up...

Are you trying to do that section by sneaking past without tranquilising anyone at all? No wonder you're finding it hard!

Wait, you could assault them? I only used the pistol for the beehive - I'd assumed that what they said about not being spotted or engaging the enemy made that a failstate. I really didn't see the difficulty in that section, though - it was basically "crawl in some grass, crawl in some more grass, crawl under the floor, wait for the guards to look somewhere else, jump over some bricks, walk to a door". Maybe I was just l