rllmuk
glb

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

I know he had to move to continue his recovery and get back to his best. But I am so happy to see Ings back to that level. Hope we have some kind of buy back clause he looks like a Klopp player ;) 

22 hours ago, Pockets said:

Salah's too, the day before I think :D 

It would be greedy and ungrateful to wish for much more from this astounding season... but gosh this really was a stupendous almost goal. 

:wub:

• Upvote 1

Disallow any other goal this season and allow that one to stand! It was utterly breathtaking stuff, and I was gutted when the flag went up.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

BBC have a nice article on Adrian. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51374515

After a shaky start as sub, understandable given the situation on the night and with having just joined, he chipped in with some good performances and made sure Allison's absence was a mere blip. Also love that Milner is the club's trophy guardian, probably because no one can outrun him if they take a pot without his permission.

And the saltier comments on the article are delicious. Premier League is so poor, standards are slipping and Liverpool would be battling relegation if they were in Serie A, apparently. Bless 'em.

• Upvote 1

And one from The Guardian, this time about Houllier.

Houllier article.

Was too young to fully appreciate the tail end of the great 80s sides, only seeing the 88-89 sides firsthand a couple of times, so Houllier’s era was one of the first notable success.

That cup treble season was glorious, but also have fond memories of away trips during that period, enjoying players like Gary Mac, the best free agent we’d ever signed until Milner.

Houllier always came across as a quietly dignified man, a sort of throwback to a fading era. He was a great servant to Liverpool, and if he hadn’t been followed by Benitez and number five, think he’d be more widely appreciated.

• Upvote 2

That Cup Treble season was amazing. Had some wonderful memories. 

The UEFA Cup final that year was also the first crazy Liverpool game I watched live. I never had Sky growing up so followed the 4-3 games against Newcastle on the radio but that final is still the craziest I’ve ever watched. 2005 was great but you just didn’t know what was going to happen next against Alaves.

21 hours ago, glb said:

And one from The Guardian, this time about Houllier.

Houllier article.

Was too young to fully appreciate the tail end of the great 80s sides, only seeing the 88-89 sides firsthand a couple of times, so Houllier’s era was one of the first notable success.

That cup treble season was glorious, but also have fond memories of away trips during that period, enjoying players like Gary Mac, the best free agent we’d ever signed until Milner.

Houllier always came across as a quietly dignified man, a sort of throwback to a fading era. He was a great servant to Liverpool, and if he hadn’t been followed by Benitez and number five, think he’d be more widely appreciated.

This comes from a These Football Times issue solely about Liverpool. Loads of good articles in it and an interview with Carra as well. £10 but i would definitely recommend. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Wonderm said:

This comes from a These Football Times issue solely about Liverpool. Loads of good articles in it and an interview with Carra as well. £10 but i would definitely recommend. 

Cheers for the heads-up, will check that out :)

We'll bring someone in this Summer to cover the players we miss in January. No way Michael Edwards and Klopp haven't planned for this. 

Timo Werner has been regularly linked with the club, he'd be a decent signing alongside Minamino.

On 11/02/2020 at 16:11, ryodi said:

The UEFA Cup final that year was also the first crazy Liverpool game I watched live. I never had Sky growing up so followed the 4-3 games against Newcastle on the radio but that final is still the craziest I’ve ever watched. 2005 was great but you just didn’t know what was going to happen next against Alaves.

When asked recently, what my favourite ever Liverpool games was, I picked the Alaves game just ahead of the collymore Newcastle game. I'm pretty sure that on carra's podcast, Stevie pick the Alaves game as his favourite of all time too. I've completely forgotten what happened now so it is due a re-watch but I remember the emotion being the strongest I've ever experienced watching football.

• Upvote 1

I’m not going to google it but my memory is it was a piece of piss for most of it winning 3-0 or 4-1 and we had a bit of a late defensive collapse for 4-4, then Fowler scored the winner...

1-0

2-0

2-1

3-1

HT

3-2

3-3

4-3

4-4

FT

5-4

Fowler scored Liverpool's fourth.

Think the winner was a free kick deflected in.

That's definitely right for the winner, though I can't really remember any of the rest.

Wonder what the chances are of our match tomorrow going ahead - low, I'm guessing.

10 hours ago, hmm said:

That's definitely right for the winner, though I can't really remember any of the rest.

Wonder what the chances are of our match tomorrow going ahead - minimal, I'm guessing.

Why would the game be off? The weather at the weekend is bad, granted, but the wind isn't as bad as last week.

Dennis seems to be going to be just as bad as Ciara here, and games were called off last weekend, so I'm not sure why it's such an absurd notion.

It's not so much the game itself but fans getting to and from the ground, etc.

Top vs Bottom, shit weather, a long break... it all points towards a disjointed performance and a scrappy Norwich win. 

2-1 to Norwich. Hanley and Pukki with a late smash and grab. 

• Upvote 3

That scoop pass from Bobby deserved something better from it. 

Plenty of the ball, but not penetrating them quite yet. Shots from the edge of the box mainly. But we have them moving about, so they should get tired.