Liverpool Football Club Thread - Champions 19/20

That happened quickly! I didn't realise he had demanded a transfer last summer, too.

You would think someone is going to come in, yes, else we would be extremely light at the back (especially as Matip seems to be broken more days than not now).

4 minutes ago, Gabe said:

That happened quickly! I didn't realise he had demanded a transfer last summer, too.

Get that PL medal off him now, should have let him gone last summer.

Hopefully we can now signed a quality centreback.

On 24/07/2020 at 13:43, glb said:

Lovren being linked with a move to Zenit for just under £11m. Shift him, Karius and a couple of other fringe players and guess a move for Thiago will be more viable.

Thiago can sit on the bench watching Naby lad.

Old news chaps ;)

Yeah, I knew he was likely to go and that Zenit were interested, seems it was done all very quickly. Which is a good thing!

I wonder what the goalkeeper backup position will be for next season - Karius is an unknown (perhaps he's been excellent in Turkey?), Lonergran has moved on and Adrian - whilst he was very important for those initial 9 games - has too many errors in his game to be relied upon.

We aren't going to sign anyone better than Adrian as backup to Alisson because any goalkeeper good enough to compete isn't going to sit on the bench all season. Adrian is still the best option and I wouldn't be surprised if Karius has his contract terminated because no one is going to pay money for him. 

I'd hope we can find somebody better than Adrian. He did all right when he had that unexpected run at the start of the season but the wins glossed over a few big errors, even then. As harsh as it sounds, we'd probably still be in the CL if not for his mistakes against Atletico. Surely we can do better without breaking the bank.

I barely post these days and I'm not sure I've said anything on here since it finally happened. Just wanted to say Liquid Myth and Stilly have been on my mind since the win. I feel so lucky to have seen what the boys have managed to achieve over the last couple of years. 

Up the mighty redmen and bless you all. YNWA.

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

So yeah, I did. Signed for Zenit today. 

I assume we have a replacement lined up.

Yeah, it’s me, but I’ve got to have 6 pints before I come on. 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

We aren't going to sign anyone better than Adrian as backup to Alisson because any goalkeeper good enough to compete isn't going to sit on the bench all season. Adrian is still the best option and I wouldn't be surprised if Karius has his contract terminated because no one is going to pay money for him. 

I'd guarantee you there is a better GK than Adrian currently in the Champ (maybe even in L1) that would LEAP at the chance to sit on the Liverpool bench right now. We need to remember to look at home as well as just at big clubs abroad sometimes in situations like this.

As poor as he has been, I'd even take a chance on Butland over Adrian. Or somebody like Bentley at Bristol.

If you’re going down that road you may as well sign Reina or Hart. No goalkeeper under the age of 30 is going to sign up to be understudy when they know unless Alisson gets injured they are never going to get a game, I wonder how much Danny Ward is regretting his move to Leicester City now Schmeichel has stayed. Adrian’s mistakes cost us in the second leg but he was solid in the league and cup games when he replaced Alisson. 

There's a 90 min celebration show live on the Liverpool youtube channel right now.

It seems like the audio sync is way off though.

No idea why they've got everyone on high chairs, where the backs are higher than the railings and put right next to the railings. Where's the health and safety?

14 hours ago, ryodi said:

If you’re going down that road you may as well sign Reina or Hart. No goalkeeper under the age of 30 is going to sign up to be understudy when they know unless Alisson gets injured they are never going to get a game,

I think that's nonsense - a LOT of goalkeepers under 22-23 would look at the season Adrian just had and think it would not be a bad ride for them - if you're outside the premiership right now, I think you'd jump at the chance to join Liverpool even as an understudy. Take my example - Bentley at Bristol - do you seriously think if Klopp called him up he'd say no to joining?

What we need sitting on the bench right now is a young up and coming keeper (that has some games under their belt at a lower level rather than just reserve/youth experience), that is glad to be at a big club, and happy to pick up some experience - the total opposite of Hart or Reina who both will want to be (understandably) playing at their stages of their careers. They would be looking to go the other way - maybe drop down a level to secure first team football.

Having said that, I'd take Hart over Adrian still :lol:

In which case Liverpool already have someone on their books who

meets your requirements. Kamil Grabara is 21 and spent last season on loan at Huddersfield playing 27 games. He might come back if Kelleher goes out on loan next season.

I’d also take Adrian over Hart.

21 hours ago, dogsout said:

I'd hope we can find somebody better than Adrian. He did all right when he had that unexpected run at the start of the season but the wins glossed over a few big errors, even then. As harsh as it sounds, we'd probably still be in the CL if not for his mistakes against Atletico. Surely we can do better without breaking the bank.

Sorry to jump into your thread, but @dogsout is surely right here. I'm always confused by how much you guys like Adrian. Someone called him the best back-up keeper in the league earlier in the season! Statistically, almost anyone would be better than Adrian. In the league alone, he made comfortably more mistakes leading to a goal per match than anyone else. This was covered up by you scoring lots of goals and winning the games, but they could cost precious points next time. He costs you a goal every five and a half games. Even Dubravka at Newcastle, who has had a shocker and leads the errors table only gives one every eight games. De Gea, who even his most ardent of supporters (that'll be me) is beginning to doubt costs one every thirteen this season. Bear in mind that this Adrian stat isn't even taking into account the Atletico game.

You guys need to recruit when you're strong, that's what United always did. A backup goalkeeper, a centre back to backup and challenge Gomez, and a centre forward are what you need. Perhaps a midfielder as well, if Kieta isn't trusted, Milner can't go on forever, and the Ox's injury problems might resurface. You can't rest on your laurels when Man City are your main rivals, and have an unlimited supply of money to strengthen their squad. What happens if Alexander-Arnold, Van Dijk, or Mane get injured?