IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins

glb

15 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Just seen the 3-minute highlights on YouTube and my word at Jota's miss - terrible. I reckon it was harder to hit the defenders than score there :lol:

Yep… just fucking slot it low! That would have kept me awake at night if we didn’t get the late winner.

Just now, Loik V credern said:

Why would Klopp play Salah in this game that means nothing for you? Is there really no one else or is it a pride we must try to compete and win thing despite the fixtures about to become every 3 days? I don't get it when Klopp is always complaining about fixture congestion. 

I actually think both Salah and Mane want to play whenever possible. 

13 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I actually think both Salah and Mane want to play whenever possible. 

Yeah of course they do, every player does. But although Salah is a machine who never gets injured, it's these games with less recovery that have an effect. 

I don't know why fans wouldn't be annoyed about it when the league is so close and it will likely go down to the last day. Why risk it when you've already topped the group? 

16 minutes ago, Adrock said:

The prize money for winning a Champion's League group game isn't trivial. The money is definitely a nice bonus.

I just looked it up, $3.3m. Is that it, really? You're willing to risk an injury to Salah in this quick turn around of games for that? 

This time last year Klopp played Jota against FC Midtjylland despite topping the group and he picked up a knee injury. It can happen any time sure and Jota wasn't playing 90 minutes of every game previous to that. 

During the game Pockets in here said: 

'Why are so many members of the first team playing in this meaningless game? Klopp will moan about Fulham and Tottenham but won’t have a leg to stand on (like the other half of the first team)'.

Reading more no one seems to care, fair enough. I won't go on. I'm sure Klopp will though when fixtures pile up. 

16 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Salah and Mane are constantly available and clearly want to play all the time.

Every player wants to play every single game, watching United last season drive certain players into the ground wasn't fun, I certainly didn't think; well he really wants to play! I just saw the fatigue. 

34 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I just looked it up, $3.3m. Is that it, really? You're willing to risk an injury to Salah in this quick turn around of games for that? 

This time last year Klopp played Jota against FC Midtjylland despite topping the group and he picked up a knee injury. It can happen any time sure and Jota wasn't playing 90 minutes of every game previous to that. 

'Why are so many members of the first team playing in this meaningless game? Klopp will moan about Fulham and Tottenham but won’t have a leg to stand on (like the other half of the first team)'.

Reading more no one seems to care, fair enough. I won't go on. I'm sure Klopp will though when fixtures pile up. 

Every player wants to play every single game, watching United last season drive certain players into the ground wasn't fun, I certainly didn't think; well he really wants to play! I just saw the fatigue. 

I think you're probably reading a lot more into it than there is. Klopp said himself earlier in the week the medical department would kill him if he chose the same line up so I'm almost certain they would have been consulted before playing either of the two. Clearly they were deemed fit and able. The risk of injury, as you said, is apparent in every game so it can't be a reason for hiding fit players from the starting line up.

As Bradigor says, the momentum of winning is infectious. Even if a player doesn't make an appearance the fact they've just dispatched Milan will feed into the confidence of the entire squad. Six wins in six games in the Champion's League is not to be sniffed at.

13 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

As others have said, momentum and the confidence gained from winning counts for a lot in sport, to the point that the buzz/adrenaline can mask the tiredness. It's when the winning stops you start to see players looking leggy and in need of a rest (especially if they have to chase a game). 

I think Klopp probably felt that he could get an hour or so from them both to hopefully get the job done and then take them off, and probably allow them a bit extra recovery before the weekend.

Don't forget too the value of young players playing competitive matches with them, too - Morton in midfield getting to play with them ahead of him will do him a lot of good (especially being part of a winning team.)

I think I read somewhere once that a solid 48 hours for recovery time is sufficient at the highest level and they have 3.5 days until the Villa game so it shouldn't be an issue for them really. 

That said, I do tend to agree with you in that it can be frustrating seeing top players getting a runout in a dead rubber match, but more from an injury perspective (which you can't legislate for) more than tiredness. 

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins