IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins

glb

Everypne was going mad at VAR for not calling the ref over when Ederson did the same thing against Newcastle. 

The goalkeeper is part of a team of 11. Our 11 did their jobs better than their 11. Yes, we switched off at 2-0, it's something we tend to do. We still did enough over 90 to fully justify the win. 

Dropping my bias.

Over the balance of the two halves, I don't think a Liverpool win is unfair, its important to remember just how shit Palace were in that first half, 2-0 wasn't an unfair halftime score.

If we'd nicked a point it wouldn't have been undeserved either.

But that penalty was utter bullshit, and leaves the entire outcome soured as a result, nobody knows what the real result would have been.

It’s a ludicrous decision that completely undermines what had been a good old-fashioned tussle. Liverpool were dominant for the first half hour or so but think Palace looked the more dangerous after that.

Think the game shows why City will still walk the league. At 2-0 Liverpool should have been comfortable but looked like nervous wrecks whenever Palace swarmed forward. Matip had a poor game but Van Dijk was also off the pace, despite scoring, the high line looking vulnerable on several occasions.

I’m happy to see Curtis Jones getting a run in the side but will be even more so when Tiago is back. Midfield control remains minimal, and getting that back will be crucial to getting closer to City, and going further in Europe.

39 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

For me, it had to be given as a penalty. Contact in the box when missing the ball completely leaves the referee with no options. We can talk about what should and shouldn't be given, but as soon as the keeper dropped to his knees it's done.

But most of that contact was from Jota throwing his leg into the keeper. I know I'd be raging if it was the other way around. 

Keepers get a lot of leeway but he didn’t get the ball and slid into Jota and I think would have hit him even he hadn’t stepped towards him which he had the right to do. I’d be annoyed if it had gone the other way but I don’t think Alisson would have slid in like that.

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

I'm with Carragher there. Not a pen. Ball was pretty much out of play by the time contact was made.

Not a penalty but where the ball is doesn't really come into the decision does it? You can tackle someone of the ball and it can still be given as a foul.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60033711

"Mane curled in off the underside of the crossbar soon after keeper Vozinha had been dismissed over a nasty clash of heads with the Liverpool forward.

Mane continued despite appearing to be briefly knocked out in the incident.

After celebrating his goal he lay down on halfway, and before the game restarted he was led off the field."

Fucking hell. 

Can never really put much stock in highlight reels, especially when they may show a clever little dribble or something but then don't show the next pass (so it was probably bad/misplaced/intercepted).

That said, I know nothing about the guy so he may be really good - if the club buy him, I hope he is. 

Well he definitely has a hard and accurate shot on him, some of those angles I didn't think he'd score from. He has that tirelessly tricky pacey dribbling that just watching it makes me feel exhausted for defenders having to track him all game. Reminds me of Douglas Costa but with better finishing. 

“This guy” lol yeah he’s great hope we get him. Already seen 180 minutes of him this season in our group games with Porto and he looks perfect for our front 3. Just hope he fits in and can hit the ground running.

His numbers have been good this season too, something like 14 goals in 18 games. I think he'll add depth this season, and then maybe we'll look to move either Firmino or Mane (or Salah if he still hasn't signed) on in the summer, as they are all out of contract next year.

55 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

His numbers have been good this season too, something like 14 goals in 18 games. I think he'll add depth this season, and then maybe we'll look to move either Firmino or Mane (or Salah if he still hasn't signed) on in the summer, as they are all out of contract next year.

Plus 5 assists. 

I guess he would most naturally replace Mane in the longer term, i think a Salah replacement is a different proposition. 

2 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Well he definitely has a hard and accurate shot on him, some of those angles I didn't think he'd score from. He has that tirelessly tricky pacey dribbling that just watching it makes me feel exhausted for defenders having to track him all game. Reminds me of Douglas Costa but with better finishing. 

Don't get me wrong, there are some very good moments in that video and he looks to have good acceleration and pace - which fits Klopp's style - it's just that it doesn't really tell you much other than 'Hey, this player did something good here' and you can't judge a player on that.

Klopp will have done his homework though, so if he has identified him as the man to get then I'm sure he's a good fit. 

6 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Replace Salah? Only the best player in the world right now. I hope that Liverpool bust a gut to keep him. In the end no new signing should ever be burdened with a ‘new Salah’ tag. 

This signing could definitely mean the end of Minamino’s and Origi’s Liverpool careers.

Not officially. But as good as with several trustworthy journalists reporting it as so. Medical over the weekend apparently.

Get the flight tracker apps on standby!

I presume this was earmarked as a summer transfer. Might be less expenditure in the summer then. Exciting signing, Klopp likes to slowly ease a player into his team over the course of a few months but hopefully he gels quite quickly and gives the team something extra in the last half of the season. We’re not City/Chelsea/ United and don’t/can’t pay big money for bench warmers so hopefully this gets the other fronts players to up their game. Firmino is starting to look like his best days are behind him and Mane has blown hot and cold this season. 

The club’s transfers under Edwards/Klopp has been spot on so have little doubt he’ll be a success. 

Out of all our players Andrew Robertson would have been among the last I’d have picked if you’d asked me who in the squad would get into NFTs.

James Milner would be first pick, obviously. “NFT? Nope, going for a 200mile bike ride then treating meself to two Jaffa cakes”

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins