IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins

glb

It's disappointing but not surprising for a group of people who will have agents and management teams looking after image rights and always looking to maximise them. One of many reasons to never hold footballers to a higher standard than a random person on the street. 

Funny seeing Minamino dubbed a "rare transfer flop from Klopp" amongst other things. He was bought for peanuts to be an occasionally used back up player to one of the most potent attacking line ups in world football. I think in that role he's been alright really. Stays fit, works hard and tries to make the most of his opportunities when they're given, particularly in the league cup this season. Calling him a flop feels like calling a second string keeper a "flop" for barely playing and not being spectacular when they play.  It also looks likely we'll sell him for double or triple what we paid too. Seems fine to me. 

Nat Phillips gone out on loan to Bournemouth for £1.5m. A suitably old-school fee for a no-nonsense defender.

Good luck to The Bolton Baresi.

2 hours ago, JLM said:

Funny seeing Minamino dubbed a "rare transfer flop from Klopp" amongst other things. He was bought for peanuts to be an occasionally used back up player to one of the most potent attacking line ups in world football. I think in that role he's been alright really. Stays fit, works hard and tries to make the most of his opportunities when they're given, particularly in the league cup this season. Calling him a flop feels like calling a second string keeper a "flop" for barely playing and not being spectacular when they play.  It also looks likely we'll sell him for double or triple what we paid too. Seems fine to me. 

Yep wasn’t he £7m or something? I think it was just a no brainer as he’s a decent player who could have either stepped up and been a bargain or be easily sellable at a profit. Just good business.

Let’s be honest, Keita is far more of a flop than Minamino will ever be. £7m is less than what Stan Collymore cost in 1995.

Would have loved Naby to have delivered on his potential but considering he cost more than Salah, Mane, Firmino, Fabinho and Jota he’s the one real letdown in Klopp’s tenure.

There was chat about Thiago going to Spain in the summer. It would be hugely disappointing for him to leave but feels like the midfield needs the most work, what with Hendo being another year older and utility man Milner out of contract.

We’ve also got zero cover for Fabinho, so probably need at least two midfielders, and preferably ones that can play 40+ games a season.

We are building what feels like a next generation team of late. Diaz, Jota, Carvalho, Elliott should be an exciting forward line in a post Salah, Mane, Firmino world. 

But yeah, we need some players in for cover Jones, Morton are good young options right now. Kaide Gordon too especially as he looks like he could play in midfield and up top. 

A worry is RB, with Trent being so young and locking that spot down, how do you give him cover? Williams won't stay as he deserves to play somewhere and I can't see who you can bring in that keeps quality competition. 

Tsimiskas on the left is different as he will naturally replace Robertson at some point.

I am excited to see what comes next though.

23 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Ah shame that fell through. I wonder if we join other clubs for Carvalho in summer or move on 

With us trying hard to sign him on deadline day and then by all accounts he was going back to them on loan anyway, a summer signing would make sense.

Looks like we'll have the AFCON guys back for the Thursday fixture against Leicester so that's not been so bad overall - obviously would hope that we can manage without them for the FA Cup tie tomorrow and I think it's only actually been two league games without them?

4 hours ago, hmm said:

Looks like we'll have the AFCON guys back for the Thursday fixture against Leicester so that's not been so bad overall - obviously would hope that we can manage without them for the FA Cup tie tomorrow and I think it's only actually been two league games without them?

Given how they both performed in the last league game vs Leicester, I'm okay with them having a few days extra to rest ;)

I wasn’t hopeful, but we’ve put two kids in who’ve never started for us ever. One of them I’ve never even heard of.

Forget repeating the extra time heroics of Boro, Kidderminster and Plymouth in the TV giant kicking games.

I’ll be happy if we are still remotely in at at half time.

Before the line ups we were 20/1 to win now we are 28/1!

I think he was very lucky with the defender's positioning, so that it wasn't a clear goal scoring opportunity, but it was never a red card for the severity of the foul.

Terrible piece of goalkeeping either way.

Yeah, that’s an iffy one. Cleaned out the player and wasn’t exactly a low challenge either.

Very surprised VAR didn’t advise the ref to take another look on the monitor.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins