IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins

glb

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

"I felt the contact so went down... definitely not a yellow card as it wasn't a dive" 

Doesn't the first statement negate the 2nd? 

Bang on.

In a sport that allows contact, going down for simply feeling contact is cheating. 100% cunthousery.

I'm guessing he hasn't even see the replay because he was going down before there was contact.

It is a shame a statement like this cannot be used to further indight and ban people for longer - because it just continues happening.

10 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Liverpool 83% possession.... What a joke Everton are.

Lampard has said that the Everton performance in defeat yesterday has to be their "Template" for the rest of the season. He seems utterly clueless.

I think he is trying to build some kind of passion and fight, he is doing it in the worse way possible.

They SHOULD survive at a canter, and he has dragged them down into it.

I've only seen scant YouTube highlights, but Everton certainly had chances and with better finishing they could've nicked a goal and then been even harder to break down. 

Everton were never going to try and come out and play football against a flying Liverpool team, so the plan to sit back and hit on the break is what many struggling teams try when playing against a better side. It's a common tactic, so I don't know why Lampard is being criticised for it?

It also did show that the team do have some fight in them, which is probably what he also meant, compared to the weak surrendering of games they've seen all too often. 

27 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I've only seen scant YouTube highlights, but Everton certainly had chances and with better finishing they could've nicked a goal and then been even harder to break down. 

Everton were never going to try and come out and play football against a flying Liverpool team, so the plan to sit back and hit on the break is what many struggling teams try when playing against a better side. It's a common tactic, so I don't know why Lampard is being criticised for it?

It also did show that the team do have some fight in them, which is probably what he also meant, compared to the weak surrendering of games they've seen all too often. 

Firstly I think you are being very very kind to the chance creation of Everton to say with better finishing they could have nicked a goal.  From those areas, they'd had needed OG Ronaldo to score from there.

Secondly the criticism isn't really about how they sat back and then tried to counter, it was directed to the time wasting from word go, the blatant attempts to get players carded.  But yes, 17% possession whether you are playing a top top side or not, still isn't good enough, infact it's embarrassing and should be criticised.

I think the fight was only there because it was the Derby.  I'm truly amazed to see them that far down the league, but appointing then sacking Benitez was not a good idea.

Antony Gordon (apart from going down too easily - lots do) does look a hell of a prospect though. 

@ChewylegsLike I say, it was just from YouTube highlights but the Dacoure chance was scuffed and a decent angle, there was a free header from a free kick at least, neither were massively hard chances.

As for the 17%, it's bad but - for both them and us - it's all about the result. Even with 83% we only had 5 shots on target? I'd say that's pretty bad too. And of course the fact it was a derby meant they would up their game, the chance to dent our title challenge would've been reason enough in normal circumstances, let alone that they desperate need the points.

Tbe time wasting from the start is awful though, yeah. 

21 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@ChewylegsLike I say, it was just from YouTube highlights but the Dacoure chance was scuffed and a decent angle, there was a free header from a free kick at least, neither were massively hard chances.

As for the 17%, it's bad but - for both them and us - it's all about the result. Even with 83% we only had 5 shots on target? I'd say that's pretty bad too. And of course the fact it was a derby meant they would up their game, the chance to dent our title challenge would've been reason enough in normal circumstances, let alone that they desperate need the points.

Tbe time wasting from the start is awful though, yeah. 

I don't remember the free header to be fair.

Yeah 5 shots because it's bloody hard to shoot when 11 players are in the way🤣

It was a horrible first half to watch. Lampard obviously took the example of Mourinho in the past to try and get anything from the game.  Richarlison fell to the ground again and again, along with others. But I do get why they did it.  Pickford getting booked early for time wasting would have stopped a lot of it but refs just don't do that and I don't know why.

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Antony Gordon (apart from going down too easily - lots do) does look a hell of a prospect though. 

He's fast and gets ball forward quick but not sure he knows what to do after that

I don’t blame their approach at all, as annoying as it was to watch it worked perfectly for an hour. Their issue was they have a manager too naive to deal with changes. Think Lampard can organise one gameplan pretty well but they had no clue what to do with the directness of Diaz and Origi.

Gordon might have got a penalty had he not spent the first half diving more than Tom Daley. I’m surprised VAR didn’t review it, and have some sympathy with the idea of if it was Salah or Mane it would have been given. Not that much sympathy though.

Annoyingly, think they’ll just about be alright in terms of the rest of the season. Leeds look in real strife with their upcoming fixtures. A defeat to Palace tonight and they could well be in the bottom three in the next few weeks with games against Man City, Arsenal and Chelsea up next for them.

As for us, just keep rolling on. Man City probably won’t drop any more points but given how the side was written off after last season, to still be this close to them is testament to the mental strength Klopp has instilled. I hope it leads to more than just a league cup, but even if not, can’t remember too many better seasons in terms of utter joy in watching my team play.

I assume the response will be because  it was a dive, one of many bookabke offences he made during the game including repeatedly kicking the ball away at throw Ins.

41 minutes ago, Chewylegs said:

True, but that's why I said prospect.  Be interesting to see how he does in the championship.

I believe he was shit in the Championship for Preston(?), he’ll probably grow up to be Keith Gillespie or Andy Impey if he’s lucky 

1 hour ago, ryodi said:

I assume the response will be because  it was a dive, one of many bookabke offences he made during the game including repeatedly kicking the ball away at throw Ins.

Fucking 🤣

Let's hope we don't get another dumb statement from the ref saying sorry like that other incident I now forget.

17 hours ago, SMD said:

Thiago also completed more passes than the whole Everton team combined. 

There was also an Everton player (name escapes me right now) who only completed two passes, both of which we kick offs / restarts. 

Yeah the highlights didn’t do justice to the levels of shithousery from both Gordon and Pickford. Parking the bus is perfectly understandable but they were outright cheating with no action from the referee. 

8 hours ago, Gabe said:

Teams can play however they like, ten men behind the ball etc, if that’s how they set up its up to Liverpool to break them down. It was not how Everton set up but the poor gamesmanship, shithousery and general attempt at using prime Mourinho dark arts. It’s a bit sad to see that this is what Everton have to resort to when last year they convincingly won at Anfield.

Their tactics was to obviously try and nick a pen by whatever means, Gordon took to ground whenever he had a sniff of the area, so Lampard’s complaints that they didn’t get a soft pen from Gordon falling over yet again is laughable in the context. There was Pickford falling to ground at every touch of the ball, Everton players not even retrieving the ball when it goes out for a goal kick, Richarlison feigning head injury etc etc. It was just very distasteful and literally would make Atletico Madrid blush. 

LOL, Everton don't even have a scrap of class left about them any more. Maybe they can ask the PGMOL why Richarlison didn't get a straight red? Or why Doucoure only got 1 yellow card for 2 clear fouls and blatant dissent to the referee? And this is without even thinking about, much less opening, the can of worms that was Pickford on Van Dijk.

My girlfriend (who doesn't even particularly care about football) at least now has stopped asking why I dislike Everton so much. She saw more than enough this weekend, and laughed nearly as loudly as I did when Alisson dropped to his knees. 

I’m not sure what’s made me laugh more the past week. The ‘we’re normal men’ thing or Alisson taking the piss out of Pickford. What a time to be alive!

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Darwin’s Evolution Begins