IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread - Salah Days

glb

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

Tuesday night determines everything. City needing a win in the last game is the only chance we have. Coutinho is the best player in the world a couple of times a season, afetr all!

Id rather have the league lost by a point than goal difference. Makes Tuesday less complex, no need to be chasing goals, the requirement is a win however ugly and see how City handle the pressure on the final day. 

4 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Good thread on Klopp's approach to penalties.

That's all fine, except if Chelsea had still won then what? Suddenly this breakdown isn't a 'fact'.

So why did it take so long to settle the League cup final shootout? Did Klopp's tactics fail that it ended up down to the Keepers?

It's easy to say "That's the way you win" when you've won.

Penalty shootouts can still be entirely random - and you don't know how much pre-prep has gone into this.

If Liverpool had lost no doubt a breakdown based around a "He was too laid back and laughing" narrative suddenly becomes the truth.

17 minutes ago, Hamus said:

That's all fine, except if Chelsea had still won then what? Suddenly this breakdown isn't a 'fact'.

So why did it take so long to settle the League cup final shootout? Did Klopp's tactics fail that it ended up down to the Keepers?

It's easy to say "That's the way you win" when you've won.

Penalty shootouts can still be entirely random - and you don't know how much pre-prep has gone into this.

If Liverpool had lost no doubt a breakdown based around a "He was too laid back and laughing" narrative suddenly becomes the truth.

It is a psychological thing though, a theory, not an exact science. I'd much rather be taking penalties for a coach who is relaxed about the whole thing, over one that is frantic going into the shootout. 

It doesn't guarantee a win and misses can still happen, but it helps the mindset.

I can pull a similar example as to how Liverpool had Spurs best in Madrid as the team buses arrived. 

I used similar techniques with my U13s before Cup final a few years back. Take the pressure off but still get them fired up and make sure the opposition see the difference. 

Klopp has failed in the past but he has learned from those failed attempts. 

Chelsea have a mindset that winning a shootout will be hard and what will do wrong, you saw that in the little things yesterday.

Yep. I've never been a good player (decent goalkeeper in my day to a degree, but injury prone) so spent a lot of my youth on the bench. So I became much more interested in tactics and psychology in football than the practical skills. 

So I love when I read breakdowns like that. 

But Chelsea didn't win. I'm sure there would also have been threads on the tactical brilliance of bringing Kepa on in the League Cup final if Chelsea had won but they didn't so from the sample size we have Klopp's method is the best.

One year ago today

I’d have expected no Salah, VVD and Robertson what with the knocks they picked up. So soon after a long final Klopp doesn’t want to risk any injuries so close to Paris so expected really. I think it’s enough to see off this Southampton side and there’s Hendo, Thiago and Diaz on the bench. 

Yeah this team should get over the line. The City draw instead of loss turned this into 'just win' instead of 'win and overturn GD' 

How can anyone say Taki has been a bad signing. Barely gets a sniff but when he plays we couldn’t ask for more from him. 

Saints with no intention on risking another goal, the block is getting lower and lower. Their single moment in the game coming courtesy of typical Atkinson refereeing, and the almost inevitable deflection, but we've bossed it since then.

The boys who started this match are more than capable of winning it. There will be a 2nd, count on it!

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread - Salah Days