Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

@Chewylegs @SMD Yeah, I'm not saying Nunez was a bad or the wrong signing (he definitely has potential and some good attributes), more that he seems to have come along without any real plan on how to integrate him - and if they had been scouting him for a long time (as was suggested) I would've expected more thought behind that. But, again, I know these things take time. I also never thought he was Mane's replacement - Diaz was clearly that, yes.

The Glazier comparison wasn't about who puts money in their pockets, just that the ownership of the club is more around what they can get out of it long-term, rather than it being about success on the pitch. I appreciate that they way FSG go about that is very different to the Glaziers, who are parasites, but deep down I don't believe FSG are all that fussed about losing CL finals if the club's commercial income continues to grow.

I still think that you are arguing the wrong point about AOC and Keita though, @Chewylegs. They have been injured for years, it's not a recent thing, and the club should be ruthless in moving them on - even if that meant ending their contracts, then so be it. But they haven't, because the owners would be unlikely to sanction giving away an asset, which then hamstrings Klopp because he knows he can't get any new blood in to address the issue whilst they are still there. Catch 22.

I'm not even frustrated about it really. This has been an issue bubbling away for a while and I said before the start of last season I wondered how much more the team had to give (so I appreciated everything that happened last season because it was so unexpected and unprecedented), so at some point I felt we would see a dip and the trick was always going to be whether that was temporary or permanent. We shall see over the course of the season, but a poor result in the CL this week will cause the little whispers to increase.

I still think that you are arguing the wrong point about AOC and Keita though, @Chewylegs. They have been injured for years, it's not a recent thing, and the club should be ruthless in moving them on - even if that meant ending their contracts, then so be it. But they haven't, because the owners would be unlikely to sanction giving away an asset, which then hamstrings Klopp because he knows he can't get any new blood in to address the issue whilst they are still there. Catch 22.

Fair enough, but I was sort of trying to agree with you in the end.  Keita hasn't looked up for it and AOC is a crock, I'm surprised they are still here this season and last.  But there must be a reason why they are still here.

I don't think it's more complicated than Klopp having his priorities and the club not wanting to sanction multiple signings at once. The agents' fees alone is probably a big enough saving that they wouldn't want to swap out similar level of players without making a profit (and there's no way we're making a profit on either Oxlade Chamberlain or Keita)