IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

I agree with carheex, what can City realistically do to improve the team? The best players in the world are happy playing where they are and looking at their squad I can't see any real weakness they need to strengthen.

Chelsea need a top striker, that much is obvious. With that player you'd expect them to be better, but not 10-20 points better.

United need a complete overhaul and they could be the ones who make a leap. Will Arsenal make the right signings?

If Liverpool recreate the football they have played this season and sort out they defensive frailties to even a small degree they can be challenging for top four at very least.

Sakho is no football player though, which is a worry considering Rodgers likes to play out from the back.

We've got 35 points from the last 39 haven't we?

I don't know how this can be seen as such failure. We got ourselves into that position. To go on winning and winning would have pretty unique.

I doubt anyone is describing the season overall as a failure; clearly we have overachieved. However we had got ourselves into the position of favourites and didn't need to continue that miraculous form or overhaul the goal difference to go on and win; a bit more level-headedness and things would be very different right now. There's still a glimmer of hope but at the very least we should be going into the last week with huge pressure on City; instead they have margin for error.

Yeah, I think for me it's the way it's been lost rather than the fact we lost it in the first place. The Chelsea game looked for all the world like we were comfortable until 'This Does Slip Now', and the Palace game... ugh. Then again, ifs and buts and all that - if we'd got the point against Chelsea who knows how we'd have tackled the Palace match.

But overall the team have far, far bested my expectations this year. It's been a good season and I am sure in years to come when I look back on it I'll probably just think that, but it's a little bit raw at the moment knowing that City didn't win it in the stretch - we lost it.

(Cue a superb Villa display on Wednesday.... please...)

I agree with carheex, what can City realistically do to improve the team? The best players in the world are happy playing where they are and looking at their squad I can't see any real weakness they need to strengthen.

Chelsea need a top striker, that much is obvious. With that player you'd expect them to be better, but not 10-20 points better.

United need a complete overhaul and they could be the ones who make a leap. Will Arsenal make the right signings?

If Liverpool recreate the football they have played this season and sort out they defensive frailties to even a small degree they can be challenging for top four at very least.

Sakho is no football player though, which is a worry considering Rodgers likes to play out from the back.

That's not really what I mean; strengthening in this context means the title challengers will take more points from each other. We won 2 and lost 4 of the games against the others in the hunt - with a stronger squad you'd hope/expect that to change.

City can strengthen, of course they can. Defensively they don't ha e the deepest cover and I wouldn't be surprised to see another striker brought in, because Dzeko isn't totally trusted I don't think.

It isn't about finding an extra 10-20 points, its about an extra 2-5. At the top it's always about fine margins.

I posted this in the football thread in discussions about B teams but thought it would be good discussion in this thread about squad players.

LFC first Team on the website

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/team/first-team

post-18024-0-34919400-1399389548_thumb.j

Quite a few of those players have not had a single game.

Brannagan, Rossiter, Sama, Jones & Ward. A few like Teixeira, Smith & Yesil have played the odd game.

Quite a few out on loan which is good to see.

What's all the bollocks about THIS IS OUR BEST CHANCE TO WIN IT. If that is the case I don't care if we win it or not. Don't wanna be one hit wonders.

As for last night's game. Well, fuck. The only thing I'd criticize Rodgers for is not bringing off Suarez. The lad looks FUCKED. Thought he did everything else right.

We really miss Henderson, huh? Lucas hasn't been great. Lacked a bit of POWER. Ah well, you never know, Villa might win and if not at least I'll be able to enjoy the Newcastle game.

What's all the bollocks about THIS IS OUR BEST CHANCE TO WIN IT. If that is the case I don't care if we win it or not. Don't wanna be one hit wonders.

As for last night's game. Well, fuck. The only thing I'd criticize Rodgers for is not bringing off Suarez. The lad looks FUCKED. Thought he did everything else right.

We really miss Henderson, huh? Lucas hasn't been great. Lacked a bit of POWER. Ah well, you never know, Villa might win and if not at least I'll be able to enjoy the Newcastle game.

Lucas looked completely lost last night, where was he for the 3rd goal, for example? And not for the first time, Allen started well and was bright and buzzing and then just disappeared.

Losing Henderson was always going to be a big blow and so that has proved. He's been excellent most of the season anyway, but we've seen, especially in the last 2 games, just how much play goes through him and how his energy has been missed.

I think the truth of that will depend on what players we can bring in. As I said yesterday, I think there are a number of players that may well leave (or relegated to squad players) depending on who we can bring in. This could be our most significant Summer for years, or a washout - I guess we'll see the ambition of the owners over the next couple of months.

This is similar to what he did when he was the manager at Reading. He wasted all their transfer budget on Matt Mills, a defender who was useless with the ball at his feet and a forward pass to him was to hoof it as far as possible.

I wonder if you had spent the Sakho money on a decent defender, you may well have won the league this season.

I think this might be Lucas' last season with us, he just doesn't fit Rodgers style at all.

Napoli being the (too) obvious destination?

A few months back I would have argued that Liverpool would be mad to get rid of the best defensive mid they have but frankly - he's not mobile enough for the high energy pressing that's required with Rodger's game plan and as Gerrard is playing in that deeper role he seems surplus to requirements. Which is not to say he's not a great player but not necessarily a good fit for Liverpool any more.

Re Sakho- I've been saying that he's a good defender and frankly believe that he is, just couldn't pass water if he tried.

Re Sakho- I've been saying that he's a good defender and frankly believe that he is, just couldn't pass water if he tried.

His passing statistics are remarkably good, though. I think he looks a bit laboured when passing which may lead to people thinking he isn't very good, but the stats show otherwise.

His biggest problem seems to be his rash decision making.

Set up for Andy Carroll to score a perfect hat trick and beat City 3-2 as Liverpool smash his old club. YEAH!

Sakho had a good game on Monday and he was passing fine. The problem is him and Skrtel together. Neither are cultured enough, you play one or the other but not both together. Flanagan had a bad game, he's looking like he's played one too many games, a bit like Sterling did last year. I'd be happy for him to play at right back next year though.

I also think this 4-0 drubbing justified Liverpool players attacking and attacking the other night. Go down fighting!

I also think this 4-0 drubbing justified Liverpool players attacking and attacking the other night. Go down fighting!

Eh? It was massively unlikely we would win it on goal difference if it came down to that but have, instead, lost it trying to chase that regardless.

Sigh.

I don't know about anybody else, but I feel incredibly flat tonight. I know there's still hope, but I can't see West Ham winning away and I actually hope if they don't win then they get tonked, because I don't think I could handle the pain if they got a draw.

I imagine the crowd will be excellent regardless and give the team a fantastic send-off for the Summer, but boy is there going to be a lot of regret floating around Anfield on Sunday.

Ah well, roll on next season already!

Let's step back a second. This weekend we will be one of two teams with a chance of winning the premier league. Who would really have believed that 9 months ago?

Again, that completely misses the point - 9 months ago I'm pretty sure every single person in here would have taken 4th without a ball being kicked. Hell, Rodgers certainly would have, given that 4th was meant to be his target for next season.

No, the pain comes from how we've lost it - and we have lost it - when it was ours to win. When Palace pulled one back, who wasn't thinking/screaming at their TV that the team should stop pouring forward? When they pulled 2 back, why leave Agger or Toure on the bench when we were leaving massive gaps at the back? As excellent a fightback as it was for Palace, we didn't half help them out.

I don't know about anybody else, but for me that is why being 2nd this season hurts much more than 1990/91, 2001/02 or 2008/09 (all seasons where we never had destiny in our own hands this late on). I honestly don't know how I'll feel on Sunday.

In the cold light of day, of course I'm massively proud of the performance overall this season (apart from defensively, natch) and it has provided so much joy and hope - but the context of that is measured if we can build on things next season, and the season after that - not something we did in those other years mentioned above.

You feel pride. That is the simple matter of it. This team was never meant to be in this position. From day 1 when they held out for a 1-0 win vs Stoke, everyone was saying it wouldn't last, but there they were.

When they fell from top place on Boxing day after a hard run of fixtures, everyone said that was that.

When they failed to make any signings in January, they were told it was a mistake and it would even cost them a top four spot.

Yet here they are on the last day of the season with a chance, the slimmest of chances, but still a chance.

Yes they bottled it, but they haven't been in this position before, this isn't the same Liverpool of the 80's so they don't have experience of this, no matter what fans expect or think.

This is a great learning experience for a lot of young players, it now forces the hands of the owners to get Rodgers the players he needs to make that next push.

It's not just with Liverpool I have seen this in 2013/14. My Detroit Red Wings have just been dumped out of the playoffs, but we took what was essentially an AHL team right to the NHL playoffs, after long term injuries to our best players, being forced to play rookies most of the season.

So if anything, I feel a sense of pride for both my sporting loves. Roll on next season, no matte what happens Sunday.

Let's step back a second. This weekend we will be one of two teams with a chance of winning the premier league. Who would really have believed that 9 months ago?

I'm going to (probably) shut-up after this comment because I'm just making myself sad and most likely boring everybody, but let me just ask you this: do you think that getting second will make *any* of the players feel better once this campaign is over, given where they were after an hour on Monday night?

Anyway, I am now hoping that I'm the wrongest man ever, from Wrongmanland, Wrongsville, Tennessee and we win the title after a Carroll masterclass on Sunday.

:)

I'm sure Anfield will give the team a huge reception, even if we haven't got that slim chance that Big Andy prove his £35 mil worth. I watched he Red Sox on their charge in the world series last year, but wouldn't have imagined back then that Liverpool would go through the same run right after. It has been an incredible season, haven't been entertained that much in a long time.

And i hope Henderson isn't blaming himself, having missed the games where we have fallen apart. Really looking forward to him go mental releasing that pant up energy against Newcastle.

Chelsea and Crystal Palace were always going to be hard games. If we'd played them in the middle of the great run, rather than the end, we'd no doubt all be feeling very differently now - 2 points behind big-spending Manchester City, with a game to go, after winning X number of games in a row, with 3rd place and Champions League football guaranteed. We'd be massively excited for the weekend.

Yes, the title was in our hands, but were we ever really going to win 14 games in a row? That was a big ask for a squad who finished in 7th last season.

This has been an amazing season and there's no reason, if we make the right signings, we can't challenge again next year, with both the squad and manager having gained the experience to push us on.

Bring on Sunday and season 2014/15 :)

I think that "bottling it" and that sort of sentiment is incredibly harsh. The league was essentially lost at Chelsea. I don't think liverpool bottled it that day, it was the mixture of a stubborn defensive performance from a top quality defensive outfit- who had conceded the fewest goals, had reached the CL semis and are managed by Mourinho- and an unexpected error. It's debatable wether there were tactical problems there too, but I don't think that they "blew it" or anything like that. That game didn't go their way and that killed it.

Palace was disappointing but I don't think that was the killer blow.

It sucks to get so close, but I still delighted with this season. We've made massive strides and have grown as a team. Hopefully the Palace experience should refocus Rodgers on balancing the team and act as a reminder for the players in any future similar situation.

This season has been a massive success and I hope that the turnout for the team bus on Sunday is exactly the same as it has been the last few games. They deserve a lot of credit for how they have done this year.

I'm going to (probably) shut-up after this comment because I'm just making myself sad and most likely boring everybody, but let me just ask you this: do you think that getting second will make *any* of the players feel better once this campaign is over, given where they were after an hour on Monday night?

Anyway, I am now hoping that I'm the wrongest man ever, from Wrongmanland, Wrongsville, Tennessee and we win the title after a Carroll masterclass on Sunday.

:)

Yes, finishing second will make them feel great. Not in the short term but by the time the next season starts they will be back on top of the world and excited about having another amazing season.

These are professionals with a natural winners mentality. They have shown this season that they can break records and achieve brilliance. This will be a massive learning experience for the players. They may not achieve second again next season but as a squad they will be stronger both mentally and tactically.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread