IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

I think it just seemed like we blew it because City were always behind us in games played. If it had been us a game behind it would have been that we almost made it. Not that we blew it.

I do think Rodgers got the Chelsea game all wrong though. And the Palace result was a by-product of that.

You are right, it looks worse then it is and we were never gonna win 14games in a row (as someone said above)

He did get it wrong, very wrong, then even the best managers get games wrong at some point in the season. Unfortunately it looks worse as it's right at the end.

Comedian Russell Brand has accepted substantial libel damages at London's High Court over a Sun on Sunday story which claimed he cheated on his girlfriend Jemima Khan.

The 38-year-old sued the newspaper in January after it carried the story across pages one, four and five on 17 November 2013.

Brand has said he would be donating the unspecified damages to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign.

Respect to RB for donating to the Hillsborough Justice Campaign

I'm not sure I agree that he got it wrong with the Chelsea game. We lost it because of a slip up. One slip and from that moment we were chasing the game. Neither team looked like scoring without an error. Certainly Chelsea didn't. I believe that if that slip had not have happened it would have ended nil-nil. The last goal was simply because we were chasing the game and Aspas cocking up the corner. Chelsea never looked like scoring in any other way.

Agreed we were unlucky to give the first goal away & after that were chasing the game. Against Palace though I think BR should have substituted for defensive players to ensure we got the three points. It's all experience to BR & I'm sure will only make him a stronger manager.

Indeed. He should have brought Agger on for Suarez at about 60 mins and just taken the points. It's all this nonsense in the media that Mourhinio got his tactics spot on against us when they never looked like scoring and they wouldn't have without that mistake.

You're joking aren't you? The narrative in the lead up the the game was that we needed to score goals. We were then 3-0 up and playing well against a team that had nothing to play for and showed no sign of mounting any comeback. The momentum was with us and they looked to be there for the taking. You have to remember that this was a team that had scored 15 at home up until that point.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but Rodgers would have got absolute dog's abuse if he took his main threat off with 30 to go.

Mistakes were made, but he can't get criticised for not shutting up with 30 minutes to go and goal difference to make up. That's madness.

But we were never going to make up the goal difference if City were to win their last two games without setting Premiership records, because obviously they were then very likely to add a few. It seemed naive, and if anything seemed to me to antagonise Palace when they realised what our players were thinking.

Conceding one goal that way was bad enough but to not shut up shop to any extent once we had was suicidal.

I don't agree at all. Palace didn't look like anything until they scored and the goal was a deflected wonder strike from their centre back (!) At that point we should have shut up shop and focused on taking the 3 points. It "only" required a 6-0 there and something similar against Newcastle. Given that we were 3-0 up and cruising and we beat a better Newcastle 6-0 last year then why not go for it?

Look back at the posts in here. There was nothing to lose at that point.

Doesn't matter a great deal now anyway, it was a freak turnaround and no doubt the lesson will stick with them.

Whilst I had no problem with us going for goals at 3-0 (however unlikely overhauling City's goal difference was), as soon as they got one back it should have been that - especially as Rodgers had said before the game that he would have taken a 1-0 to have the points.

I'd also strongly disagree that it was a freak turnaround - we've been fortunate in a number of games where we've been holding on at the end - vs City, Norwich, West Ham (in patches), Sunderland...I could go on. This time our luck ran out.

He was thinking Victor Moses would be playing against a former club - a situation where players normally, if they're going to, excel. I'd have done exactly the same thing. Let's not forget Moses was a fluffled finish away from winning it.

Also, somebody's blaming Aspas for Chelsea's second goal. Pretty sure it was Sturridge who gave that ball away.

I don't like that - ragging on the substitutes because they don't turn the game around.

Gerrard got carried away, Suarez looks knackered but I reckon he's made a deal where he can't be subbed. And Henderson's red card. That's what's hurt us. Still. Yaya Toure's been fucking incredible, so has David Silva. And we've still got a chance.

Wasn't so much hating on the player more the tactics. At the time of the sub we were still winning and just needed to hold out rather than trying to get another goal. I would have been annoyed if it was any attacker coming on at that point over a defender, just happened to be Moses.

Assuming a Disney style miracle doesn't occur tomorrow and we finish second, are we still saying most exciting season ever?

I've loved watching them this year. In what, at times seems like quite a negative league, we've been positive and attacking and, with the exception of a couple of games we seem to have had a real desire to win.

It's been emotional.

I'd go for other years, too - 2000/01, 04/05 certainly and maybe even 08/09 (though that's purely because Gerrard and Torres were in their pomp and it was quite beautiful).

This season has been excellent, no question, but overall I've enjoyed others more.

I have no illusions about the fact that it's City's title.

So why the fuck have I woken up nervous as hell? I'm such a moron.

They had Ricky Hatton on Sky last night saying basically the same thing. "Everyone's taking it for granted, so now I'm nervous". In this the most unpredictable of seasons is there one more twist?

How good is going into the last day of the season knowing you could still win the title! It's something I hope we all have to get very used to :D

Carroll winner today for West Ham, Liverpool to walk over his former club.

They had Ricky Hatton on Sky last night saying basically the same thing. "Everyone's taking it for granted, so now I'm nervous". In this the most unpredictable of seasons is there one more twist?

No, there are no more twists. That's why I feel like a twat haha.

I'm just hoping for a good last performance of the season and a few goals, including at least one for Luis.

I think there's more chance of the Man City squad deciding they can't be bothered to play the last game and going on holiday early than West Ham doing us a favour!

I'm not nervous at all because I think we've got no chance, feels like any other last day, I'd like us to get to 100 goals & Luis (last game?) to score 4 to beat Cole/Shearer, although we might get accused of staggering arrogance if he tried to do that

Hi guys, I'm a long-time thread lurker and lifelong LFC fan and I just wanted to post here to say what a pleasure it's been being both this season. At the start of this campaign I'd have happily taken a 4th or 5th place right now. So to find ourselves with even the smallest chance of winning the whole shebang after playing some of the most thrilling football I've ever seen is almost beyond belief.

I don't get to watch many games live because of Cost+Murdoch so reading fan reactions keeps me plugged in to the general feeling amongst the fans. The conversation in here has been absolutely top, top quality at times and even the nutters and mentalists have been world-class entertainment.

I honestly don't think we'll get a miracle this afternoon but I hope we can go out on a high, playing the kind of high-tempo, attacking, belief-fuelled football that's defined our season. I can't wait for next season.

Why would you think it might be Luis' last game? Somebody I work with suggested that too, which would add some context to why he was quite so upset after the Palace game, but I don't think he'll go - though we'd probably be able to fund half a team if he did.

I actually feel a bit flat right now, I'm sure I'll perk up at kick-off. Suarez only needs 1 to beat the record for a 38-game season though, so I hope he gets it.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread