Liverpool Football Club Thread

My only concern with Benteke is his recent injuries but if he's left that behind him then this is a great signing. Been a big fan of his for ages now and always wished to see the club sign him, on his best form he is near on unplayable. He is a guaranteed 1 in 2 goal scorer and those are like gold dust these days. I can't wait to see him in a Liverpool shirt.

This is the kind of summer we should have had last year, at least we've learned from our mistakes.

Benteke, Firmino, Sturridge, Coutinho, Ings, Orgi, Ibe... That is some attacking talent right there.

So, great news on the Benteke deal, I've really come round to the idea of him playing for us the last couple of weeks. Is this how we will be lining up our strongest XI next season then?

Mig

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Moreno

Can

Milner Hendo

Coutinho Firmino

Benteke

Bench

Lallana, Ings, Lucas, Lovren, Ibe, Markovic, Sturridge (injured)

The rest

Allen, Balotelli, Gomez, Toure, Origi, Wisdom

Out- Lambert, Borini, Enrique,

So, great news on the Benteke deal, I've really come round to the idea of him playing for us the last couple of weeks. Is this how we will be lining up our strongest XI next season then?

Mig

Clyne Skrtel Sakho Moreno

Can

Milner Hendo

Coutinho Firmino

Benteke

Bench

Lallana, Ings, Lucas, Lovren, Ibe, Markovic, Sturridge (injured)

The rest

Allen, Balotelli, Gomez, Toure, Origi, Wisdom

Out- Lambert, Borini, Enrique,

Don't forget Flanno, when he's fit again.

I'd rather keep either Lambert or Borini over the Balotelli of last season. Don't think we need any of them though - we have 4 other strikers, unless Origi is going out on loan again.

I think Mario may possibly go out on loan somewhere. Somewhere he doesn't come back from and we lose our £16m transfer fee.

Definite starts for the first XI for me will be, Mignolet, Clyne, Skrtel,Henderson, Milner, Coutinho and Benteke. I can see the rest being chopped and changed, so Gomez for Moreno, Lovren for Sakho, Lucas for Can, Lallana for Firmino. Ings and Origi will probably be subs only, unless it's a cup game. Markovic and Ibe will be much the same I reckon.

Any more progress on a right back? So far only Clyne is fit, right?

Also, I'd be concerned if Can doesn't get a starting role regularly. He looks a class above most of the other players in the squad and he needs experience to get him to the level where he could be a commanding force within the midfield. Its looking pretty difficult with Henderson as captain and Milner promised a central role.

Any more progress on a right back? So far only Clyne is fit, right?

Also, I'd be concerned if Can doesn't get a starting role regularly. He looks a class above most of the other players in the squad and he needs experience to get him to the level where he could be a commanding force within the midfield. Its looking pretty difficult with Henderson as captain and Milner promised a central role.

Right back back up will be out of Gomez, Wisdom, possibly through seemingly more doubtfully Ilori and of course Flanno.

Can will surely start as the DM in the 4-3-3 with Henderson and Milner ahead of him. Though I can see that being switched about a bit if we want to go more attacking. Can even now is much better in that role than Allen, and Lucas who hasn't been the same player since that injury, sadly.

In regards to Lambert, Balotelli and Borini - they've all got to go I'm afraid. Even with Studge crocked, there's no room for them with Benteke, Ings and Origi ahead. I feel Lambert will be easy to move on, Borini too depending on the fee (he's nowhere near worth the £10m we paid, the £14m Sunderland offered last summer or even the £8m now being suggested). Balo might be difficult, can see a loan move I think, I hope he does well.

For me, these are the ones who are likely to start most games, and are more or less nailed in:

GK: Mignolet

RB: Clyne

CB: Skrtel

CB: Sakho

LB

DM: Can

CM: Milner

CM: Henderson

AT: Coutinho

AT: Firmino

ST: Benteke

I leave LB out because I think there are genuine concerns of Moreno's defensive positioning. He can be a good stopper, but he was left high and dry many times last season, with players getting in behind. Hopefully with the likes of Can in the team, along with Milner covering and a stable CB partnership with Sakho on the left...he can be helped out more this season.

Lambert is gone. Borini only has a year left on his contract and I can imagine he'll see out the last year of his contract and move on a free next summer. Balotelli isn't going anywhere although with the new signings I think we'll be more set up to his liking this season then last. Origi didn't set Ligue 1 alight last season and who knows what Sturridge will be like when he's back from injury so having Benteke, Ings and Balotelli alongside Sturridge when fit gives us some strength in depth up front for a change

Fullback cover looks like we'll be relying on youth, which I'd prefer than seeing us drag the likes of Can out of position. I'd be happy to see Origi have a loan season somewhere as I don't think he's anywhere near ready to step up if required.

Can did well at centre back, awful at right back but please this year give him a chance in central midfield. I'm hoping g the central defensive role he played last year will have brought on his development as a defensive midfielder. We have enough in defence for him not to be played there.

I hope we resort to 4-3-3 and variations of, most games. Leave the 3-5-2 alone as I don't feel our defense is suited to it

When you look at the £77m we've spent and compare it to the £49m we have currently recouped, with probably another £10 or so million to come in, I think our transfer policy this summer has been spot on.

If you include the fact we've only paid £16m upfront for Benteke, we've practically broke even!

Wonder if we might go for Lucas Digne too? Been linked with him. Would sure up that left back spot.

Danny Ings hat-trick today against a Malaysian side, we won 7-0. Obviously not the best test, but I'm very hopefully about him. Like him a lot.

When you look at the £77m we've spent and compare it to the £49m we have currently recouped, with probably another £10 or so million to come in, I think our transfer policy this summer has been spot on.

If you include the fact we've only paid £16m upfront for Benteke, we've practically broke even!

I agree. We've brought in a lot of players, but in terms of actual spend we've not been too bad at all thanks to the Sterling money.

I agree. We've brought in a lot of players, but in terms of actual spend we've not been too bad at all thanks to the Sterling money.

From what's being reported Liverpool have "only" took about £35 m from the Sterling sale if you take out the £5 million in add ins and the 20 percent to QPR.

Yes it's a bit like the Suarez money. Much like then we need to see how things gel with the new signings. On paper at least this years signings for the most part seem like signing we need and fit the system we play.

From what's being reported Liverpool have "only" took about £35 m from the Sterling sale if you take out the £5 million in add ins and the 20 percent to QPR.

Even if that is the case it's still not bad for the number of players we've signed, particularly when you consider the new TV money that is kicking around. The squad really needed strengthening and it looks like we've gone some way to addressing that.

I think it's gonna be interesting to see if Rogers can get all the new players gelling and if he can then I think a top 4 challenge is on the cards.

There are a lot of new guys though. Pretty much an all new attacking lineup.

One thing you can say about the guy is that he knows how to talk the club owners into trusting him with massive sums of money despite a dodgy transfer record.

Wasn't that the same situation last season with the Suarez money?

Yes, it certainly was and I'm expecting players like Lovren, Moreno, Markovic and Can to kick on from last season. This summer at least we have plenty of premier league experience with Ings, Clyne,Benteke and Milner also coming in. Will give the likes of Firmino time to bed in.

I think it's gonna be interesting to see if Rogers can get all the new players gelling and if he can then I think a top 4 challenge is on the cards.

There are a lot of new guys though. Pretty much an all new attacking lineup.

One thing you can say about the guy is that he knows how to talk the club owners into trusting him with massive sums of money despite a dodgy transfer record.

He's definitely bought crap but some of his signings have been spot-on- Coutinho and Sturridge for example. I also think players don't get enough time to bed in anymore, they are expected to be amazing immediately. Markovic and Moreno have now had a full season in England , they should show their worth this year. If they are crap this year, then yeah,bad signings, but they do need time to adapt.

I do question Moreno's defensive qualities but I like him so hope he can develop into a reliable LB.

Has the Manquillo loan deal ended early then?

RB we have Clyne, Flanno (when fixed) Gomez and Wisdom that can play there.

LB we have Moreno, Flanno (when fixed), Gomez and Enrique that can play there.

Between the six of them we should be covered.

If Enrique goes I can see us bringing someone else in.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread