Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

I'm sure I recall Klopp suggesting he'd get a game (was it meant to be the European game where Mignolet held onto the ball for about 2 days?) but he got injured - or did I make all of that up? Regardless, it's a shame he didn't get a run-out with the other kids against Exeter and West Ham.

I think the media said that Ward was promised an appearance in a cup game, but I can't recall Klopp saying anything like that.

He couldn't have played in the Europa games, as they were before he came back. And I think he would've been ineligible for the Exeter replay (which was the game after he returned), as he wasn't registered for the original fixture. Just checked, and Bogdan was on the bench for that one. 

The West Ham ones baffle me, because Klopp was fine with putting the kids in for both matches. Either he thought we needed experience in goal, or that continually playing Mignolet will give him a confidence boost. 

What could be encouraging is the progress of Spurs. For years the hilarity Jane of the league as they bought players for ridiculous prices who turned out to be dreadful, while throwing away any good progress they had made.

That's us now, signings who've been ineffective yet widly expensive.

It took Pochatinnio a full season to finally get things sorted. Which is, of course, entirely reasonable for any club.

So we should expect a return on the Klopp hype around this time in 2 years. That's the marker I believe is fair. A full season, two pre-seasons, and more along the lines of a team he has moulded.

Until then we wait. Take the good days, and accept the bad.

This goal perhaps best encapsulates Balotelli. I mean, look at the state of it, it's an absolute pearler into the top corner, which most players would celebrate like Tardelli. Yet he just stomps off annoyed at the world like he's put a mug of coffee down and realised he forgot to add the sugar. The man is the very definition of enigmatic.

He's not enigmatic, he's an idiot. He's too cool to celebrate, it wasn't even special because he's a genius the likes of which we're not even fit to comprehend, etc.

I'd like to say he might finally get his comeuppance, when there's no-one left willing to put up with or pay for his nonsense, but in practice now he'll swan off to China or the US for another bumper payday. As long as he's not back stinking up Anfield...

3 hours ago, Dinobot said:

What could be encouraging is the progress of Spurs. For years the hilarity Jane of the league as they bought players for ridiculous prices who turned out to be dreadful, while throwing away any good progress they had made.

It took Pochatinnio a full season to finally get things sorted. Which is, of course, entirely reasonable for any club.

So we should expect a return on the Klopp hype around this time in 2 years. That's the marker I believe is fair. A full season, two pre-seasons, and more along the lines of a team he has moulded.

You are spot on.

You are basically in the same position where Spurs were this time last season, though you may have even more deadwood to ship out than we did and in Loris at least we have a world class goalkeeper to build around.

4 hours ago, Dinobot said:

While there is a point in there I think thats been Liverpool for the past decade, Suarez freak season aside.

What should be of concern is that afaik you don't have a youth or training setup comparable to Spurs and from what I hear both of your facilities are pretty poor and amongst the worst in the higher end of the league.

I do think you potentially have the manager but not so sure if you have the same platform Spurs have with players coming through from the youth team all willing to buy into Poch's ways whilst building a team spirit Ive not seen at Spurs in my lifetime - we had always been a bit of a flair team with the odd gem but a soft underbelly and Poch seems to have resolved that and moved onto the next level and a huge part of that IMO has to be the squad being so young and a good proportion coming through the development programme.

Its almost like the Prem is having a reset and there are a couple of years where clubs like Man U and Liverpool have a chance to rebuild while the other big teams falter and don't just pull away making it impossible to get back in the mix - It would be good to see a strong top 6 clubs all with the ability to compete for the league in the next few years so while I am quite enjoying Liverpools form at the moment I look forward to the next couple of seasons as you say as if Klopp is the man it will be great competition or if not Liverpool will fall further down and SaintM could be your worst nightmare ;)

21 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

While there is a point in there I think thats been Liverpool for the past decade, Suarez freak season aside.

What should be of concern is that afaik you don't have a youth or training setup comparable to Spurs and from what I hear both of your facilities are pretty poor and amongst the worst in the higher end of the league.

I do think you potentially have the manager but not so sure if you have the same platform Spurs have with players coming through from the youth team all willing to buy into Poch's ways whilst building a team spirit Ive not seen at Spurs in my lifetime - we had always been a bit of a flair team with the odd gem but a soft underbelly and Poch seems to have resolved that and moved onto the next level and a huge part of that IMO has to be the squad being so young and a good proportion coming through the development programme.

Its almost like the Prem is having a reset and there are a couple of years where clubs like Man U and Liverpool have a chance to rebuild while the other big teams falter and don't just pull away making it impossible to get back in the mix - It would be good to see a strong top 6 clubs all with the ability to compete for the league in the next few years so while I am quite enjoying Liverpools form at the moment I look forward to the next couple of seasons as you say as if Klopp is the man it will be great competition or if not Liverpool will fall further down and SaintM could be your worst nightmare ;)

I don't think Liverpool's academy is that bad, I mean they did pinch one of Spurs's youth coaches and put him in charge of their academy.

3 hours ago, Charliemouse said:

You are spot on.

You are basically in the same position where Spurs were this time last season, though you may have even more deadwood to ship out than we did and in Loris at least we have a world class goalkeeper to build around.

Personally I am a little giddy you agreed with me! What is in my water?

2 hours ago, Shimmyhill said:

We've certainly bought some expensive broken bits of wooden floor clagging - Carroll, Balotelli, and a whole host of players that were gash chops. Or just chops, not quite up to par - for some reason Reira springs to mind, I've no idea why.

At the same time we've managed to finished 2nd and 3rd twice. Spurs notoriously haven't been able to do so. Always behind Arsenal...This is why their fans are excited, and rightly so. And perhaps not about doing that or winning the Championships. Rather about some stability and purpose.

Last season I believe the two clubs finished 2 points apart. Basically neck and neck. That will be very different come the end of this season.

I hope for Spurs, and Leicester, the wheels don't come off. This is a far, far better league season for it.

I sadly think hoping any manager is going to be able to unlock Balotelli's talent long-term has no basis in reality, even though he's still young. I'd love to be wrong but I don't think I am.

And its very frustrating, because he really does have wonderful gifts - he's quick, strong, has 2 good feet, a thunderous shot and isn't bad in the air. Ah well.

5 hours ago, Pockets said:

I do think if there's one manager that might get something out of him it could be Klopp. I think Balotelli might just have a very weird sense of humour that no one really gets or finds funny. I'd be interested to see what he's like when he comes back.

The problem isn't really getting anything out of Balotelli, both Mancini and Prandelli have done so, it's that he keeps doing stuff that pushes him past the end of a manager's patience. 

So he's talking about sorting the wings next. That's the right decision, for me. Everyone is focussing on the forwards but as I've said a few times in here now, I think we should just leave them be. We've got a good group with a good mix of skills. We need a GK, a winger or two (bring Markovic back, FFS) and a proper CM.