Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

You can only beat what is put in front of you and sure, Villa are a dreadful side, but we actually looked good. Passing was pretty crisp, people harried well, we scored good goals!

Let's hope we carry that performance into the Europa League tie and grab an away goal or two , build fitness of Sturridge, Phil and Origi and then run riot at Wembley.

We need a centre-half who will be a commanding presence in the area, especially at set-pieces. Sakho is a good defender, but doesn't dominate an area and whilst Lovren has actually been good this season, he isn't the domineering player we need either. Regardless, it's good to have options as I'd be surprised if Toure is still with us next season (even though he has been decent backup).

Yeah Toure will be off. Matip, Skrtel, Lovren and Sakho on paper should keep us covered in CB positions.  Also Gomez will be back, and Flanno's return and Smith looking good I think the wing backs are covered too.  I think its important to get a better keeper in and a commanding central midfielder as I think Lucas is past it now and Allen is never going to be that.  Then defense will be covered.  I don't think there is need to a big clear out, just a few additions to balance the squad and who can play Klopp's way.  Maybe a striker as Sturridge has to be considered as a luxury and Klopp is not going play Benteke then there is no point on keeping him, especially as he is a confidence player, he needs a run of games to come good which is not happening.  Might as well sell and find someone who best fits a Klopp team.

I've said before , but I don't think there will be much of a clear-out purely because we don't have a very deep squad at the moment and I don't see us buying enough to allow large numbers of be sold.

I think that any keeper we get in would probably be just to replace Bogdan rather than Mignolet. Be interesting to see what happens with Danny Ward; seems a shame he is missing out on first-team football at Aberdeen to warm the bench now, I thought he might have had a cup game prior to now - I wonder if he might get a surprise start on Thursday? I doubt it, but you never know.

Yeah it's really weird that he's not even had one cup game yet. I guess Klopp was so worried with how badly Bogdan played, he needed a new no.2 in case of injury to Mignolet (which is clearly the only way he's going to be dropped).

I'm sure I recall Klopp suggesting he'd get a game (was it meant to be the European game where Mignolet held onto the ball for about 2 days?) but he got injured - or did I make all of that up? Regardless, it's a shame he didn't get a run-out with the other kids against Exeter and West Ham.

I think the media said that Ward was promised an appearance in a cup game, but I can't recall Klopp saying anything like that.

He couldn't have played in the Europa games, as they were before he came back. And I think he would've been ineligible for the Exeter replay (which was the game after he returned), as he wasn't registered for the original fixture. Just checked, and Bogdan was on the bench for that one. 

The West Ham ones baffle me, because Klopp was fine with putting the kids in for both matches. Either he thought we needed experience in goal, or that continually playing Mignolet will give him a confidence boost. 

What could be encouraging is the progress of Spurs. For years the hilarity Jane of the league as they bought players for ridiculous prices who turned out to be dreadful, while throwing away any good progress they had made.

That's us now, signings who've been ineffective yet widly expensive.

It took Pochatinnio a full season to finally get things sorted. Which is, of course, entirely reasonable for any club.

So we should expect a return on the Klopp hype around this time in 2 years. That's the marker I believe is fair. A full season, two pre-seasons, and more along the lines of a team he has moulded.

Until then we wait. Take the good days, and accept the bad.

This goal perhaps best encapsulates Balotelli. I mean, look at the state of it, it's an absolute pearler into the top corner, which most players would celebrate like Tardelli. Yet he just stomps off annoyed at the world like he's put a mug of coffee down and realised he forgot to add the sugar. The man is the very definition of enigmatic.

I do think if there's one manager that might get something out of him it could be Klopp. I think Balotelli might just have a very weird sense of humour that no one really gets or finds funny. I'd be interested to see what he's like when he comes back.

I also think if we get a good new keeper we could win the league. I really think it could make that much difference. Looks like our only chance is for Mignolet to lose it and do a Schumacher on someone and get banned for life though.

He's not enigmatic, he's an idiot. He's too cool to celebrate, it wasn't even special because he's a genius the likes of which we're not even fit to comprehend, etc.

I'd like to say he might finally get his comeuppance, when there's no-one left willing to put up with or pay for his nonsense, but in practice now he'll swan off to China or the US for another bumper payday. As long as he's not back stinking up Anfield...

3 hours ago, Dinobot said:

What could be encouraging is the progress of Spurs. For years the hilarity Jane of the league as they bought players for ridiculous prices who turned out to be dreadful, while throwing away any good progress they had made.

That's us now, signings who've been ineffective yet widly expensive.

It took Pochatinnio a full season to finally get things sorted. Which is, of course, entirely reasonable for any club.

So we should expect a return on the Klopp hype around this time in 2 years. That's the marker I believe is fair. A full season, two pre-seasons, and more along the lines of a team he has moulded.

Until then we wait. Take the good days, and accept the bad.

You are spot on.

You are basically in the same position where Spurs were this time last season, though you may have even more deadwood to ship out than we did and in Loris at least we have a world class goalkeeper to build around.