Liverpool Football Club Thread

8 minutes ago, gospvg said:

If taking Matip off why not swap with Nat Philips?

With the way the game was going in the first half Fulham would end up penned in their own half. Henderson makes sense for that to try and create something and not slow the team down when it goes back.

It's definitely a risk though.

Just now, ryodi said:

Handball law continues to be ridiculous and Salah very lucky it went in.

I think that one was fair enough, he jumps and makes his body bigger by throwing his elbows out. Shot was on target otherwise.

Hugely lucky to get back in this, though, we've not deserved it. 

Just now, Pockets said:

That was never a fucking penalty but proves again that you don’t need bullshit of VAR for the random ‘some go for you, some go against you’ nature of football decisions. 

That was as lucky as getting away with giving one away in the first half. 

Need a massive improvement on Wednesday or the home record is going up the spout.

Dreadful today, but credit to Fulham. Too often the story is ‘big club plays badly’. They were lively, defended well and looked threatening going forward. More than deserved a point.

If his arm had been sticking out or moved towards the ball then sure, but from what I saw it smashed against the underside of his forearm that he had across his chest. 

Seemed harsh to me. I know the rule has changed to some fucking stupid thing where if it rolls across your chewed off fingernail on the ground it’s a pen but I’d argue that’s bullshit too. 

Maybe by the strict letter of the law it’s a pen, but by common sense it’s not, and that’s the problem. No one cares about common sense anymore. Everyone just argues form extreme perceptions of written laws without just playing the game as everyone did for 100 years before. Arguments over bullshit are part of the game, there was no need to start new ones. 

52 minutes ago, glb said:

Need a massive improvement on Wednesday or the home record is going up the spout.

Dreadful today, but credit to Fulham. Too often the story is ‘big club plays badly’. They were lively, defended well and looked threatening going forward. More than deserved a point.

I suspect we'll be better on Wednesday but if not then Tottenham's attacking talent will have a field day.

3 hours ago, Gabe said:

I suspect we'll be better on Wednesday but if not then Tottenham's attacking talent will have a field day.

Aye. Son or Kane with the kind of space Fulham had first half will make for a very long evening.

Missed opportunity this weekend. Hopefully it’s nothing more than that in the long run.

Danny Murphy on Talksport

"He was a wonderful man and he will be missed."

An emotional Danny Murphy has been paying tribute to his former manager, Gerard Houllier, on talkSPORT following his death at the age of 73.

Houllier is best known in England for managing Liverpool between 1998 and 2004, although he also took charge of Aston Villa.

With Liverpool, Houllier won a famous cup treble of FA Cup, League Cup and UEFA Cup in the 2000/01 season.

He was the France national team manager in the early 1990s and also won PSG their first ever French league title in 1986.

Murphy has always made clear his admiration for Houllier, and spoke movingly about what the Frenchman meant to him.

"He changed my career. He made me see football differently, the way I looked after myself. He was intelligent, warm characteristic. He couldn’t kick a ball, we’d sometimes have a laugh when he tried in training, but in terms of tactics, of captivating a room and inspiring people, he was fantastic. A great guy. The warmth he always gave me I still feel when I speak about him. I’ve got so much to thank him for. He’d be grateful for the years he’s had since he died the first time, on the operating table. It was a massive heart attack, but they brought him back and it was remarkable what he went through and what he achieved afterwards.

He could barely speak after that operation, but a few weeks later he still called me up when we beat Manchester United and I scored to say well done. That’s the type of guy he was. He put in place what was needed for Liverpool to be where they are now. I can't even put into words the impact he made on my career. I’m the person I am now because of him.”

That treble season was an amazing experience and Houllier brought the club in line with what the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal and Man Utd were doing in terms of fitness and looking after themselves. He was fiercely defensive of the team, too - I still chuckle at his defence of Fowler's drugs celebration :lol: He was the right man at the right time though to see the transition away from the legendary Boot Room and set the club on the road to better things. As you say @Stigweard, without all the work he put in behind the scenes to create a more modern club, Rafa, Istanbul and the rest doesn't happen.

His transfer dealings were largely awful though :D

RIP, Gerard and thank you for the memories.

Gutted. That treble season was filled with some highlights I’ll remember all my life.

Always came across as a gent, and as others have said, helped modernise the club in a way it had desperately needed.

RIP Boss.

I still remember the UEFA Cup final, my friend and I were going to watch it at his house but just as it started decided to go to mine as my dad was watching it too. We got there just before Babel scored, then enjoyed a lovely Dominos pizza (onions and jalapenos on mine, fact fans) whilst watching the team throw away a nice 2-goal cushion not once, but twice.

I was so happy when Fowler scored for both him and the team (and then he followed up with his almost lazy-looking overhead kick against Charlton) to set us on our way in what was a much bigger game in the grand scheme of things.

But that final though, to win on the European stage after such an absence just felt massive (plus having the 'honour' of winning by the Golden Goal - what a terrible idea that was). May 2001 was a crazy month!

Still a bit bitter that Houllier never won the Manager of the Year trophy though, despite Ipswich's proud performance over the season.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread