Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Happy about that. Kabak going back to Schalke I think is the right choice to.

So a fit Gomez, Matip, Phillips, Van Dijk and Konate sounds good. Gini will be a big miss I personally think, but we have Hendo, Thiago, Fabinho, Milner and Jones.

Another young forward would be a good move for us.  Someone like Mbappe will do I suppose;)

I expect to see 5 or 6 going out tbh, some will be cheap to release wages but I expect a few 10 million outgoings.  I do feel that we need another forward to actually challenge the established 3 so I'd like to see that 30 to 40 million going on a forward.  I wonder if 40 million would be enough to get saint maximin. I think he's got great pace and can really push a defence back.  With a team like Liverpool about him I think he could be great.

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

So a fit Gomez, Matip...

Does not compute. 

Minamino scored twice for Japan today 8-)

... in the 10-0 drubbing of Myanmar 😅

Wonder if he'll be part of our squad next season. I hope so but have my doubts 

Considering the injuries at centre-back you had last season, is it wise to sign a player with Konate's injury record?  If he stays fit you might have a real gem, but there's no evidence through his career so far that he can do that.

13 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Considering the injuries at centre-back you had last season, is it wise to sign a player with Konate's injury record?  If he stays fit you might have a real gem, but there's no evidence through his career so far that he can do that.

You'd think the scouting department and medical team had that covered.

I guess you'd hope so.

I don't know why you're giving me a snarky response.  I'm not in here trying to score points, I'm not one of those guys.  Konate is a brilliant player, tall, very fast, good on the ball.  I saw him against United twice last year, he was very good in the 3-2, less so in the 5-0 but even Upamecano looked bad then.  The fact is he's been fit for about 20 Bundesliga games in the past two seasons.  That would be a worry to me.  Thiago was bought despite his injury record, and he ended up missing a lot of last season.  The same has happened with Oxlade-Chamberlain in the past as well.  If it works out it will be a hell of a bargain, because when he's fit he's in that top bracket of defenders.  He's a bit like Van Dijk.

His "injury problems" were actually just one long-term injury that was mishandled and has now been dealt with through surgery. 

Also, Thiago missed a chunk of the season because Richarlison tried to break his leg. It wasn't like his body couldn't stand up to the rigours of the PL or something. He just got targeted by a dirty cunt and was unlucky.

See also:

- Matip's season ended due to being fouled by Kane (which somehow resulted in a Spurs freekick). Not a big deal, if it didn't happen then it was just a matter of time because he's so prone to injuries unfortunately.

- Gomez did his knee in England training. 

- Jota missed a chunk of games due to being hip-tossed (no foul again) and twisting his knee against FC Midtjylland.

- VvD is the obvious one. Pickford should have been locked up for that challenge and the result was our season being chucked into the bin and a freekick to Everton.

So many of our injuries were due to bad challenges and it's been infuriating having to listen to people try to explain how Klopp has 'run his team into the ground'. Not saying you're doing that, btw, @feltmonkey

Kind of went off on a tangent there. Sorry!

Shit season, glad we got out of it with something to show for it. I don't think we need a lot of work in order to challenge again next season. Need our players back, the fans back in Anfield will help massively, and maybe not being absolutely abused by referees will help.

I can barely bring myself to post on here these days because of the usual shit posters with their usual shit takes, tbh. Salah is an "elite diver" apparently. Although he doesn't even average one foul awarded for every two games he plays. Last I checked there were over 300 players that had been awarded fouls more frequently than him this season. I've watched him trying to carry on playing whilst being headlocked and shit and the narrative is he's a diver. I've watched both Salah and Mane being wrestled all game, every game, and we pretty much get fuck all for it. Defenders have clearly been told don't bother trying to tackle them, they'll just go round you. Grab 'em and let the ref decide. And unfortunately the refs in this league are of a disgraceful standard. 

Salah's just going to have that tag now.  He earned it in a couple of months spell when he seemed every week to be doing that thing where a defender would pull his shoulder and he'd fling himself to the ground like an extra in a war movie trying to sell a green-screened grenade explosion.  It doesn't matter what he does now, the narrative is set.  The same thing happened to Ashley Young who (completely deservedly) got a reputation for diving which stuck with him for years and years even after he was told to cut it out and did so.  Fernandes is apparently the "diver" in United's ranks now, based largely on that one against Villa where he tripped himself up by cocking up an attempted Zidane turn, and his habit of vocally over-reacting to fouls.  If anything, Martial is the most likely in the current United ranks to take a dive.  I hate to see it, personally. 

That is interesting about the injuries, I wasn't implying that Klopp has caused them with his training methods, but I wasn't aware of the extent that your injuries were caused by challenges.  That's the sort of thing that you notice about your own team but not other teams.  Like how everyone says "someday, a linesman will keep their flag down on an obvious offside in order to let VAR sort it, and someone will get injured."  That already happened!  It happened really early on in VAR's existence, to Eric Bailly.  He tore his hamstring trying to chase down an offside forward, and it contributed to him being sidelined for months and deprived the football-watching public of his unique brand of comedy on the field.  

Good luck to Konate.  Again, I didn't know the specifics of his injuries, just the stats regarding his appearances, and that his nickname amongst his former teammates was apparantly Ibruprofen.

I wish you would post more, @dogsout - you always have great insights.  Sorry the "Banter" has got you down.  :(  I'm genuinely here to chat, not banter.  

5 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

I guess you'd hope so.

I don't know why you're giving me a snarky response.  I'm not in here trying to score points, I'm not one of those guys.  Konate is a brilliant player, tall, very fast, good on the ball.  I saw him against United twice last year, he was very good in the 3-2, less so in the 5-0 but even Upamecano looked bad then.  The fact is he's been fit for about 20 Bundesliga games in the past two seasons.  That would be a worry to me.  Thiago was bought despite his injury record, and he ended up missing a lot of last season.  The same has happened with Oxlade-Chamberlain in the past as well.  If it works out it will be a hell of a bargain, because when he's fit he's in that top bracket of defenders.  He's a bit like Van Dijk.

Hey mate, no snarky response at all, I just meant that you would hope the people who know what they are doing and spending the money would get this right.

I feel like Salah has the tag because the rest of our team basically hardly ever fall down.  He doesn’t fall a lot, just a bit more than the rest.  And as @dogsout says it’s because a lot of the time the other team thinks it’s the only way to stop him.

Theres some games it’s so obvious how other teams are trying to milk fouls (sorry, West Brom) next to us.

I’ll never get over what happened to VvD this year :( 

20 hours ago, Chewylegs said:

Hey mate, no snarky response at all, I just meant that you would hope the people who know what they are doing and spending the money would get this right.

Fair enough, sorry I read it that way.  It wasn't on purpose.  🙄

On 14/06/2021 at 12:59, bradigor said:

Edith got hers today20210614_125708.thumb.jpg.002189f678793217c730c9df84e4be30.jpg

How does the “orange” look in person Brad?  When the team wore it it looked more like a different red but all the pictures on the store etc look a contrasting orange.  Seems more pinky red?

Well done Edith hope she loves it :wub: 

2021/22 fixtures.

August

14 – Norwich City (A)

21 – Burnley (H)

28 – Chelsea (H)

September

11 – Leeds United (A)

18 – Crystal Palace (H)

25 – Brentford (A)

October

2 – Manchester City (H)

16 – Watford (A)

23 – Manchester United (A)

30 – Brighton & Hove Albion (H)

November

6 – West Ham United (A)

20 – Arsenal (H)

27 – Southampton (H)

30 – Everton (A)

December

4 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (A)

11 – Aston Villa (H)

15 – Newcastle United (H)

18 – Tottenham Hotspur (A)

26 – Leeds United (H)

28 – Leicester City (A)

January

1 – Chelsea (A)

15 – Brentford (H)

22 – Crystal Palace (A)

February

9 – Leicester City (H)

12 – Burnley (A)

19 – Norwich City (H)

26 – Arsenal (A)

March

5 – West Ham United (H)

12 – Brighton & Hove Albion (A)

19 – Manchester United (H)

April

2 – Watford (H)

9 – Manchester City (A)

16 – Aston Villa (A)

23 – Everton (H)

30 – Newcastle United (A)

May

7 – Tottenham Hotspur (H)

15 – Southampton (A)

22 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)

Spurs, Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea over 2 weeks in the festive season will be a challenge. 

Also why do we always seem to play Man United in March, I swear we do most seasons. Is it set like that on purpose?