IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

That was a dominant victory, very happy with all those boys that played today.  

Tsmikas deserves a mention as he was outstanding and played like he wants that left back role permanently.

Always hate playing Burnley, so happy with a clean sheet.

We were certainly comfortable and in control for a lot of it but Burnley did make it difficult and had some very good chances that they should have put away if it wasn't for some great work from Allison. A better/more clinical side will punish us if they get given the same opportunities that we let Wood, McNeil and (at the end) Rodriguez have. 

But thats not to say we weren't very good. TAA continues to be sublime, Tsmi is making it hard for Robbo to get his place back. Matip looks to have avoided injury for 2 games in a row and Keita - after a rusty start - looked capable of playing a part. Plus was good to see Elliott get the 90 mins and be involved with a lot of what was happening. Such a huge difference having VvD back too. 

Only saw the last 20 minutes, Tsimikas looked good but man, without a great save and block at the feet from Allison and an interception from VVD that could easily have been 2-2.

I know it's early season, but with Chelsea next we need to be tighter at the back. 

18 hours ago, Gabe said:

without a great save and block at the feet from Allison and an interception from VVD that could easily have been 2-2.

And without Mane shinning one over the bar and an amazing full-stretch block from [whichever Burnley defender that was] it could have been 4-0. You can't focus on "What if", you just look at "What happened" and the difference between this season and last is how we are looking more likely to score. Remember all that possession that led nowhere? Remember Mane seemingly forgetting how to play? Even just 2 matches in, it feels like we're going to score in every game. Not something we were able to say for a large chunk of last season.

1 hour ago, CheekyLee said:

And without Mane shinning one over the bar and an amazing full-stretch block from [whichever Burnley defender that was] it could have been 4-0. You can't focus on "What if", you just look at "What happened" and the difference between this season and last is how we are looking more likely to score. Remember all that possession that led nowhere? Remember Mane seemingly forgetting how to play? Even just 2 matches in, it feels like we're going to score in every game. Not something we were able to say for a large chunk of last season.

Yes, I'm sure Klopp will say to his coaches not to worry about it because we could've scored more :rolleyes:

Norwich got in behind the defence too easily last week too and Klopp won't be happy about that privately, I'm sure and they will working on it, because Chelsea won't be so wasteful up front or generous at the back. 

Shaqiri's on the way out, £9.5 million to Lyon. If we're looking at Elliot exclusively as a midfielder for now, we might be a bit light up front now, but it does free up a spot for Mbappe, who is definitely, definitely signing for us.

Spoiler

Why is Mbappe signing for us even a thing?

10 hours ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Apparently agreeing a transfer for Shaqiri was the requirement before the club make their final transfer move. So hopefully something happens this week. 

I heard that they needed to free up enough lunch resources. They can bring in up to three others now that Shaquiri isn't eating twelve kilos of organic meat a day.

15 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Shaqiri's on the way out, £9.5 million to Lyon. If we're looking at Elliot exclusively as a midfielder for now, we might be a bit light up front now, but it does free up a spot for Mbappe, who is definitely, definitely signing for us.

Reveal hidden contents

Why is Mbappe signing for us even a thing?

Shame about Shaqiri, I guess he was the right type of player but at the wrong time - I could have seen him playing a Firmino type role in different circumstances (he could just run straight through everybody, that guy is well hench).

He'll always be remembered for his double against Man Utd in front of the Kop, so that's not a bad thing to look back on, but I do feel he's been wasted over the 3 years we've had him.

I've always felt Shaqiri was underused, never really given a fair chance. Fair play to him, though. Getting a Champion's League and Premier League while barely playing could easily lead to comfort and accepting your role. I'd gladly sit on a bench for most of the season! (That's probably why I'll never excel at anything )

2 hours ago, Keiths_Dad said:

There's some sexy games in that group. Milan will be fun, I've just had a look if we've played them since the 2007 final, and it turns out the only times we've played them in competitive games were in 2005 and 2007.

What happened then, does anyone know?

Firmino has taken Chelsea apart in the past, I'm not surprised he's starting this one. I think I would have liked to see Kostas keep his starting spot, though. 

Elliot could well be the wild card that opens things up. He's utterly fearless, and will offer little respect to the Chelsea defenders. Just hope that the referee gives him more protection than Mike Dean did last week, which would be any amount. 

Anfield is rocking, so let's remind everyone that this team utterly strolled to the title in record-breaking style just 2 seasons ago!

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread