IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

The video I watched is the official highlights on YouTube. As I said, you can't see the moment of contact, but you have to watch the position and trajectory of the Newcastle number 6's arm. It passes right into the area where Hayden's head is. You have to watch pretty carefully to be fair.

The thing I'm objecting to is the assumption you've all made that he was faking it.  (And even more so, the lie that he checked the position of the ball before staying down.)  We can't know for certain how badly he was hurt, but you have all completely made your minds up.  Why is that, if not the desire to not see a goal chalked off?

By the way, here's a video of every angle of Alexander-Arnold's goal. What a strike that is.  As clean a hit as you'll ever see.  It makes a most satisfying noise as it hits the net.

https://youtu.be/RnYmhRswNR8 

Edit - I can't get the second video to embed. It's worth a click through, though.

45 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

The video I watched is the official highlights on YouTube. As I said, you can't see the moment of contact, but you have to watch the position and trajectory of the Newcastle number 6's arm. It passes right into the area where Hayden's head is. You have to watch pretty carefully to be fair.

The thing I'm objecting to is the assumption you've all made that he was faking it.  (And even more so, the lie that he checked the position of the ball before staying down.)  We can't know for certain how badly he was hurt, but you have all completely made your minds up.  Why is that, if not the desire to not see a goal chalked off?

By the way, here's a video of every angle of Alexander-Arnold's goal. What a strike that is.  As clean a hit as you'll ever see.  It makes a most satisfying noise as it hits the net.

https://youtu.be/RnYmhRswNR8 

Edit - I can't get the second video to embed. It's worth a click through, though.

You’re getting on your high horse and trying to slam us based on literally one angle view which captures a mere couple of seconds snd barely anything of the incident? Well, here’s me thinking that you have used a comprehensive set of views of to have the confidence to come in here and rip us. 

Ok, so to be perfectly honest you cannot see from that video if his arm is anywhere near his head or not.  I understand you are saying about the trajectory but it's impossible from that angle to tell if his arm has hit him or not.  So really you've got a situation where you either believe the player or not. Being a fan of the opposition, anything I say is going to be misconstrued as blinkered but I do honestly believe, taking into account what happened after the incident and how the player was, that he wasn't hurt, so yes he was faking it.  Bare in mind I'm seeing it after the event, I wasnt sitting their watching it saying he was faking it as he went down.

Im also not saying his head wasn't touched/knocked, but a bit like when a player 'goes down easily' in the area when he feels a touch, it doesn't make it a foul/injury.

Also, I never said he checked his position.

Having watched football for over 30 years I tend to not believe everything that I see happen on the pitch because sadly, footballers feign injuries.

Lastly, if I sat here and said it was an injury and play should have been stopped it would make no difference anyway, so I'm calling it as I see it.

I haven't seen it yet, nor did I say he was faking it. I do question Eddie Howe moaning about him being injured, saying he was dazed for 4-5 minutes after the event but keeping him on the pitch though. If this was about player welfare he should have been subbed as soon as he said he was dazed, no?

Also, I would've had no problem had play been stopped, whether he was faking it or not, because I think that needs to be consistent for every team - and it's not as if we see a spate of stoppages for head injuries to suggest players are using it to 'win' free kicks. 

1 hour ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

You’re getting on your high horse and trying to slam us based on literally one angle view which captures a mere couple of seconds snd barely anything of the incident? Well, here’s me thinking that you have used a comprehensive set of views of to have the confidence to come in here and rip us. 

Sorry, I'm not on any high horse, just surprised by the reaction in here.  Surely you can see how it is a very one-sided interpretation of an event which none of us can see the truth of.  Could you explain why you made up that thing about him checking where the ball was though? 

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Ok, so to be perfectly honest you cannot see from that video if his arm is anywhere near his head or not.  I understand you are saying about the trajectory but it's impossible from that angle to tell if his arm has hit him or not.  So really you've got a situation where you either believe the player or not. Being a fan of the opposition, anything I say is going to be misconstrued as blinkered but I do honestly believe, taking into account what happened after the incident and how the player was, that he wasn't hurt, so yes he was faking it.  Bare in mind I'm seeing it after the event, I wasnt sitting their watching it saying he was faking it as he went down.

Im also not saying his head wasn't touched/knocked, but a bit like when a player 'goes down easily' in the area when he feels a touch, it doesn't make it a foul/injury.

Also, I never said he checked his position.

Having watched football for over 30 years I tend to not believe everything that I see happen on the pitch because sadly, footballers feign injuries.

Lastly, if I sat here and said it was an injury and play should have been stopped it would make no difference anyway, so I'm calling it as I see it.

That's fair.  I think to be honest by saying in my original post that he "definitely" was hit on the head wasn't right, sorry about that everyone.  It looks like it to me, but as you say (and I have admitted) you can't see the moment of impact so I guess it will remain a mystery until we get the CAT scan results.  I've written to Newcastle requesting that Hayden undergoes one in order for me to settle an internet argument, but I haven't heard back yet.  :P

I know everyone probably thinks this is an anti-Liverpool thing, but I don't really care about club rivalry a huge amount.  I have however been knocked out on the football pitch and suffered a concussion twice (both times by a teammate, weirdly).  On both occasions the match continued around me and the referee ignored the situation, which could have been very dangerous.  The second time, the referee told me he thought I was having a rest!  On the deck, not moving, having been hit on the head.  We've had a lot of talk about head injuries and concussions in recent years, and the importance of protecting players.  We've had things like concussion tests and concussion substitutes brought in in recent years, which is definitely a good thing.  We do need to stick to a policy of stopping a game if a player goes down with a head injury if there is a possibility that one has occurred.  If Newcastle didn't follow the protocol and failed to protect Hayden that is also an issue that needs to be addressed in my opinion.  Like anything, the concussion rules are open to abuse, and I suppose a player could feign a head injury to gain an advantage, and of course that's about as low as a footballer can go - abusing and undermining something that is put into place to help protect their and their fellow players' safety, but we'd have to be really sure that's what was happening and that there was no injury before we start letting that dictate things.  I don't think we can be sure that he was faking it in this instance.  

I think the game should have been stopped, personally.  Liverpool still would have won comfortably because they're a very good side and Newcastle are shit.

edit - basically I agree with every word of @Gabe's post.  Typically he put it a lot more succinctly and eloquently than I did.  :D

42 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Sorry, I'm not on any high horse, just surprised by the reaction in here.  Surely you can see how it is a very one-sided interpretation of an event which none of us can see the truth of.  Could you explain why you made up that thing about him checking where the ball was though? 

Again, you’ve seen literally TWO seconds of footage! That’s not even focused on the incident. So kindly sod off. 

14 minutes ago, Oh Danny Boy said:

Again, you’ve seen literally TWO seconds of footage! That’s not even focused on the incident. So kindly sod off. 

I don't think that's warranted, I've always found @feltmonkey to be pretty fair in all the football threads, plus he's amended his initial statement.

I think we can all agree we hate Eddie Howe though, right? 

On 17/12/2021 at 16:09, feltmonkey said:

Thanks, @Gabe

I don't really know what I think of Eddie Howe. He rubs me up the wrong way and I'm not a huge fan of his brand of football, but people who have met him say he's a really nice guy.  🤷‍♂️

He's a dick. Winston Churchill photo in his office is a step away from 'live laugh love'.

Probably a Tory.

2 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

We'll score. No team in the world is good enough to stop us at the moment. Spurs are being nicely open, too.

I hope you are right, but the danger is we are looking ropey at the back and susceptible to being broken by their pace every time they go forward.