IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Like the Tottenham game, I felt we were second best all game (even when we were winning). As @glbsays, it's been a rubbish festive period and the wheels have come off somewhat - again - at Christmas. 

Fair result today in the end. Chelsea dominated a lot of the second half but Mendy kept them in it many times.  Very disappointing how we defended the goals though, extremely poor.  I do like Tsimikas though, he's starting to look like a proper Liverpool player.

Plenty of the season left and if the league won't be ours there is always that European competition we are in.

4 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Title is gone. Sorry to sound so defeatist but where do City drop points? 

When VAR is working correctly and not operating as the 12th man like it did against Arsenal.

No Salah, Mane and Keita for next few weeks due to AFCON, just need to stay in the top four until they get back. 

Probably more suited to shenanigans in Europe this season, where over two legs we can out score pretty much any side in Europe.

Midfield control is non-existent when Tiago is out. 2-0 up away from home should be a time to close down the game, slow down play and be a bit more canny. Poor from the senior players to not influence that side of things more.

What is frustrating is that so much of our passing was poor over the Xmas period. Tighten that up slightly and you get the wins. Today, the 4 on 2 at the very end, just find Ox with a better pass and you are in. Several times we overhit the pass at the wrong time, you can see the tension in the play. 

I agree that Henderson and Fabinho looked way off today, not far behind were Trent and van Dijk. Let’s get a good result on Thursday, this team deserves to win more trophies.

Chelsea were good today, but we shouldn't be dropping points from 2-0 up. Milner looked good until he gave away the free kick that they scored from, but Henderson and Fabinho were largely absent, I'd have quite happily seen either taken off today rather than Jota, particularly as a draw does us no good.

Hopefully we can push on for a couple of weeks without the African lads, but realistically, we need City to lose both games against us and Chelsea to have a chance at the title, which I just don't see happening.

Just now, glb said:

Probably more suited to shenanigans in Europe this season, where over two legs we can out score pretty much any side in Europe.

Midfield control is non-existent when Tiago is out. 2-0 up away from home should be a time to close down the game, slow down play and be a bit more canny. Poor from the senior players to not influence that side of things more.

I think Chelsea pressed really well and didn't let anybody settle, so it wasn't just that the midfield was off the pace today (and vs Leicester, and Tottenham). 

It'll be interesting to see if the formation changes whilst Salah and Mane are away - Origi will get some games, but will Klopp play Minamino in a three still? 

8 minutes ago, ryodi said:

When VAR is working correctly and not operating as the 12th man like it did against Arsenal.

No Salah, Mane and Keita for next few weeks due to AFCON, just need to stay in the top four until they get back. 

This is basically no Salah at the moment.

Mane is way past his best. 1 goal in 10 games

Keita is utter shite, I'm sorry but he offers nothing. I'm done with him

3 minutes ago, reef said:

Let’s get a good result on Thursday, this team deserves to win more trophies.

You need to earn trophies and at the moment we aren't playing well enough. Nobody deserves anything. 

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

I think Chelsea pressed really well and didn't let anybody settle, so it wasn't just that the midfield was off the pace today (and vs Leicester, and Tottenham). 

It'll be interesting to see if the formation changes whilst Salah and Mane are away - Origi will get some games, but will Klopp play Minamino in a three still? 

They pressed well but playing such a high line at 2-0 was madness. No need to chase the game at that point, sit deeper and draw fouls, take an age over throw-ins etc. It’s not the football I’d want us to play all the time but needs must, especially with Man City tearing ahead.

Hopefully Minamino will get a chance, he’s got a bit more verve than most of the other options we have. League fixtures aren’t too bad until March, given opponent’s current positions. Would very much love to get that Leicester result back on 10th February too.

7 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Mane is way past his best. 1 goal in 10 games

Keita is utter shite, I'm sorry but he offers nothing. I'm done with him

Not quite so strongly but I agree with this. Mane will need to be replaced this summer and Keita is a massive waste of money. Popping up and scoring a worldie occasionally ain't good enough.

@Stigweard, @Chewylegs I think you are being harsh on Keita - that was a hard game to come in to, the pace was incredible and we had no shape for him to fit in to because the team were all over the place. Half the team were poor for 90 minutes, they are more worthy of your ire. 

I’m somewhere in the middle on Keita. He’s clearly got talent, but beyond a spell early on with us, he rarely gets a run without an injury. It’s annoying because Tiago, Fabinho and Keita would be a world class midfield. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see him moved on in the summer for someone a little more robust.

Do think we’re really missing Gini, and there’s no one close to him in our squad in terms of rolling opponents and keeping possession. Tiago is more of a quarterback and uses the ball incredibly well, but no one is as hard to shake off the ball as Wijnaldum. Get him back on loan from PSG!

Yeah, he is a big miss for us and I think what he brought to the team was glossed over a bit at the start of this season when goals were being banged in and the points racking-up. He was a great link between the lines and helped control the tempo of the game too. His composure would've helped today I think. 

44 minutes ago, Gabe said:

@Stigweard, @Chewylegs I think you are being harsh on Keita - that was a hard game to come in to, the pace was incredible and we had no shape for him to fit in to because the team were all over the place. Half the team were poor for 90 minutes, they are more worthy of your ire. 

Nah, not having it, he's been here what, 3 years now? He's done nothing of note and always has injury issues. He's just not good.

59 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I'm not really talking about that game to be fair @Gabe, I'm talking what I've seen over the 3 years he's been here and 60 odd games he's played.  He isn't good enough in my view for a title pushing side.

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

and Keita is a massive waste of money. Popping up and scoring a worldie occasionally ain't good enough.

It was good enough for Luis Garcia. 

Yeah, think it’ll go ahead. We’ve used a mix of squad and academy players this far in the competition, so should still have enough available to get a half-decent squad out within current protocols.

However, still think the tie should have been made a one-off game when the outbreaks started happening. Continuing with two-legged semis was a head-in-the-sand decision.

EDIT: turns out we might not have any goalkeepers available. So there’s that.

17 hours ago, glb said:

EDIT: turns out we might not have any goalkeepers available. So there’s that.

Karius last chance of a game before his contact expires has gone.

Why does there seem to be such a big fuss about this particular game being postponed? Loads of teams in all leagues have postponed games, we have actually played games with players missing for Covid, I swear United got less flak for what happened last season 😂