Liverpool Football Club Thread

12 minutes ago, ryodi said:

I don’t think the game is going to happen today.

Looking at fixtures of both teams it’ll be hard to fit in though, they’ll be in Europa final 

Goal but wasnt arsed, this is the bad thing about VAR now it was way onside on replay but dont know at the time and always think its 50 50 if itll be allowed

Nice Of Salah to pass for once. Not sure what Thiago was doing on the edge of the area to give Southampton another chance after the Alisson save,

Well, I wasn't expecting that, I know, not my thread... but actual congrats on that one, saw it going the other ay once or twice, today's been a good day for actual footbal matches!

It really could have if Allison wasn't on top of his game today. Southampton got through too easily a number of times but thankfully he was able to stop them from making the most of that. 

7 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Nothing but 4 wins is going to do. Chelsea and Leicester need to drop points already so anything but wins will make it impossible.

At least one of them will guaranteed.

Van Dijk is out of the Euros, deciding to remain in Liverpool to focus on being ready for next season rather than risk injury over the summer. 

With the Leicester win yesterday I think our chances of a top four finish is over we will have to settle for fifth.

1 hour ago, gospvg said:

With the Leicester win yesterday I think our chances of a top four finish is over we will have to settle for fifth.

Why? If Liverpool beat United they'll be 3 points behind Leicester, I believe. Leicester and Chelsea play eachother, so one or both are dropping points.

Liverpool still need to win all their games. If Liverpool are level or one result from either of the teams the pressure will be on and both teams have cup finals coming up.

It's definitely not over.

My working was way out earlier but essentially with the result tonight and the Chelsea vs Leicester match upcoming winning the remaining 4 matches should see Liverpool achieve the top 4.

I will just counter that with the fact Rhys Williams is highly likely to start tomorrow, alongside Nat Phillips, probably one of the slowest defensive pairings in the league. Not confident at all they'll be able to get a result tomorrow night, let alone string 4 wins in a row together.

I think there's little chance of making the top 4, this team hasn't shown anything all season to suggest they could put a winning streak together under the pressure they face. I'm finding it all a bit hard to care though and tonight will be another game I just have little interest in watching. 

I wonder if I will get my enjoyment back in time for next season? 

2 hours ago, Gabe said:

I think there's little chance of making the top 4, this team hasn't shown anything all season to suggest they could put a winning streak together under the pressure they face. I'm finding it all a bit hard to care though and tonight will be another game I just have little interest in watching. 

I wonder if I will get my enjoyment back in time for next season? 

A bit harsh, the season has been wrecked by a biblical injury crisis. People were putting City’s indifferent form last season down to the absence of one (currently third choice) defender. Liverpool’s whole defence and midfield have had holes blown through them for the whole season completely unbalancing the side and forcing those who remain fit to continuously adapt to new systems. 

I still believe that a full strength Liverpool team would have walked the season. Next season with the long term injured returning and some additions I’d have high expectations. 

I'm not downplaying the issues the team has had, they have obviously been massive. It's more that my enthusiasm for football in general has waned, in part by the form since December but mainly the Super League stuff, VAR being awful (for all teams) and a biggie, which I've really felt since the start of the season, the lack of crowds. 

That said, even with a full strength team I would've been very surprised to see the title retained - I said a lot at the time I didn't expect the front 3 to keep their exceptional form going and so it has proved. That Villa result as well would never have happened to a team looking solid and cohesive, and defensively the team struggled ever since project restart. I think City are quite a bit better than this current team and Pep has managed his squad very, very well.

I guess we'll see what next season brings, perhaps the team will be reinvigorated and back to their best? All the teams around will likely be better too, so perhaps it'll be an exciting, competitive season which is more than a two-horse race. 

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread