9 – Manchester City (A)

16 – Aston Villa (A)

23 – Everton (H)

30 – Newcastle United (A)

May

7 – Tottenham Hotspur (H)

15 – Southampton (A)

22 – Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)

Spurs, Leeds, Leicester and Chelsea over 2 weeks in the festive season will be a challenge. 

Also why do we always seem to play Man United in March, I swear we do most seasons. Is it set like that on purpose? 

Lots of rumours about Neco Williams wanting to leave, can't say I'm surprised as he probably plays more for Wales than the club. Shame when a home-grown player wants out all the same and it still annoys me he got a PL winner's medal, despite contributing nothing to it :quote:

Be interesting to see how he develops though and if he can really kick-on with regular games. 

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Lots of rumours about Neco Williams wanting to leave, can't say I'm surprised as he probably plays more for Wales than the club. Shame when a home-grown player wants out all the same and it still annoys me he got a PL winner's medal, despite contributing nothing to it :quote:

Be interesting to see how he develops though and if he can really kick-on with regular games. 

Who are you? Our 4th choice right back? :P 

He is in a tough spot at the club and a move away is best for him. I like him as a player and I hope Edwards can get uis a solid buy back option in whatever deal we get.

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

Who are you? Our 4th choice right back? :P

Ha, no, but I said at the time I didn't agree with him/Jones getting medals as they hadn't earned them and it could make them get a bit ahead of themselves - and who knows, as a title winner perhaps he feels he's a bit better than he is.

Rafa is a safe pair of hands who understands the city. As weird as it will seem seeing him as manager of Everton they’ve got someone who knows how to manage at the very top of the game and will give it his all. He won’t be ditching them once a better offer comes along. I don’t think Everton could expect much better. 

On 30/06/2021 at 17:58, Oh Danny Boy said:

Rafa is a safe pair of hands who understands the city. As weird as it will seem seeing him as manager of Everton they’ve got someone who knows how to manage at the very top of the game and will give it his all. He won’t be ditching them once a better offer comes along. I don’t think Everton could expect much better. 

Yeah, the Fulham job got filled.

On 30/06/2021 at 17:48, bradigor said:

Good luck to Rafa.

Hope he wins them an FA Cup as much as their reactions don't deserve it 

Agree with first bit but certainly not winning them a trophy! Really?

7 hours ago, JamesTW said:

I hope that he wins them their first trophy in nearly 30 years, so they all have to grudgingly admit that he's a fantastic manager, and a wonderful human being.

And then I hope he calls them a small club again.

16 hours ago, JamesTW said:

Sure, why not? I want Rafa to be a success. If we win a league title / European Cup, then it'd be nice for Everton to get the FA Cup or League Cup. 

I hope he sells all their decent players and brings in Skrtel, El Zhar, Pacheco and Jonjo Shelvey. Maybe convince N'gog back out of retirement too. 

• 2 weeks later...

For crying out loud. Issues with Henderson and a new contract. FSG are going to cause another Gini situation.

You basically give Henderson anything he asks for. 

Did the lack of progress on contract talks lead to him leaving though, or did he want to leave and the contract stuff was a bit of a red-herring? 

I can't see Henderson wanting to leave regardless, I reckon he'd play for free rather than walk. 

I think it's penny pinching. He's over 30, has become more injury prone and this is likely to be his last big contract and he's probably only being offered a one year deal. This policy has of course worked incredibly well at Arsenal. 

Read a few articles on The Athletic about the current situation with Henderson and, more generally, an aging squad and quite a few people in the comments were making the point I've been banging on about for three years, which is that the club has never been looking to bring in players to offer competition for places and/or succession planning. 

Instead, it seems the hope is that people pay crazy money for the driftwood and some amazing, young unknown player is found who lights up the league. It's not sustainable, nor particularly realistic and you do have to wonder at the extent of the ambition - are we going to do an Arsenal and think 4th place is good enough each year? 

I know people will say the starting eleven is still full of class - and it is - but the bench is poor and has been for a long time. I can't think of any successful team that has remained so whilst standing still in the transfer market, and every window since the CL loss in 2018 I've said the club need to bring players in.

A lot is paper talk, sure, but Man Utd, City & Chelsea are all looking to make moves and whilst a lot of people wrote-off Man Utd last season, I always said they weren't as far away as people thought and a couple of signings could see them really compete - I think they will be serious contenders now.

I think it's going to be a very tough season as things stand.

5 hours ago, Gabe said:

Instead, it seems the hope is that people pay crazy money for the driftwood, 

£10.5m for Grujic, does that qualify? 

47 minutes ago, Azrael said:

£10.5m for Grujic, does that qualify? 

Well it represents a 60+ odd percent increase on what we bought him for, so I think so, yeah. I remember he was spoken of highly when he arrived - and I dimly recall him doing well in a cup game? - but it never happened for him. 

40 minutes ago, bradigor said:

£6.6m for Awoniyi is insane. 

This also counts.

Isn't buying those players and trying you develop them but then cashing out when it becomes clear they don't fit in the very definition of planning for succession?

Jota is younger than the incumbent front 3. Curtis Jones has been nurtured through to becoming a first team regular. Konate has just been signed.

I don't understand the logic that the club aren't trying to improve or develop. They are just operating in the economic reality of the club, that was always going to be the way.

17 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Isn't buying those players and trying you develop them but then cashing out when it becomes clear they don't fit in the very definition of planning for succession?

Jota is younger than the incumbent front 3. Curtis Jones has been nurtured through to becoming a first team regular. Konate has just been signed.

I don't understand the logic that the club aren't trying to improve or develop. They are just operating in the economic reality of the club, that was always going to be the way.

Jota isn't going to replace all of the front 3 though, is he? And given they are the same age, that isn't really having much of a succession plan.

Im sure we've had this discussion certainly after winning the league (and I'm pretty sure after the CL win too) that if the club wanted to stay at the top then they would need to bring players through/in and they haven't really done that in a way that has people challenging for places - if fit, I reckon 9 of the starting 11 would've been the same for every game last season, because there wasn't anyone knocking on the door to get starts. 

We can all laud the club living within its means, but at the same time believe that it limits the ambition of what can be achieved on the pitch, because Klopp isn't always got to get magic out of this aging team.

Who knows though, perhaps things are happening in the background that put a different slant on things. 

They've not run any plans by this thread so I am guessing nothing is happening.

In all seriousness, we will pick up players as long as they fit the mold. The plan is always to try and bring someone through. 

Trent, Jones over the past couple years. Elliot this season hopefully. I think the plan was for Brewster and Wilson to also make that step but they both failed to take chance. 

We'll pick up someone still in the summer. They won't be the biggest superstar but instead another Salah, Firmino, Coutinho, Gini, Robertson, etc. One who will become the right player for the right position at the right time.

Flavour of the moment had rarely worked out for us.

@Gabe I chose a few high profile examples. I wasn't going to spend the time evaluating every single player who may fit into the front three and are younger than Salah, Mane and Firmino.

@bradigoralready mentioned Elliott and I'm sure all the youngsters who haven't worked out weren't just used to make up numbers.

The club, like almost every club, is constantly trying to get talent into the first team squad from the youth ranks. The difference between Liverpool and the other top clubs (City, Chelsea and United) is spending power. That's just a matter of fact.

@Adrock agree and also we won't even know those players yet. Getting the likes of Mane, Salah and Firmino weren't flukes and none of them were considered best in the world at the time. Mane probably the most complete but all low profile compared to the rivals signings.