IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

Apparently Mane is letting the people of Senegal decide whether he leaves or not in a poll (and leave is the currently leading option.) 

I think I'd respect him more if he just came out and said he wants to go, rather than this kind of stuff.

Hopefully it gets sorted quickly rather than dragging on into pre-season. Suspect Salah will go on a free next summer too so hopefully the scouting team have another gem lined up waiting to be polished.

A few outlets reporting we’re about to splash out €100m on Darwin Nunez, who has also been linked to Man United in recent weeks.

He looked good in our Big Cup quarter-final with Benfica but don’t know too much about him beyond that.

Or it’s all a smokescreen and we’ll sign some rough diamond from Serie B who next season ends up making Salah look like Sean Dundee.

It's looking increasingly likely that Nunez will happen, we apparently put a bid of 70 million in yesterday, that will likely sneak up a bit before it's done. Whilst we can't expect to sign the likes of Haaland or Mbappe, it looks like we've gone in a tier below their level, and we're likely to sign one of the most wanted young players around, so I'm pretty pleased. I brought his name up in here as a potential target a couple of weeks ago, more out of hope than anything else, but they're actually getting us a quality replacement for Mane.

Plus, if it does happen, it will mean United will have missed out on one of their top targets, which is nice.

Keith’s Dad confirmed for scouting department! :omg:

It’s great if we’re getting a deal done quickly. Done a bit more reading in the lad and getting more excited. Also sounds a more ‘traditional’ forward than we’ve been used to in recent seasons? No bad thing with Bobby also on the wane.

Think an additional central midfielder to cover Fabinho would make this a very good summer, even in the wake of Mane moving on and Salah’s contract talks still dragging on.

Doesn't he start out wide and come inside, much like the other forwards Liverpool currently have? I'm sure he did against them in the Champion's League anyway.

Hopefully he'll be an excellent signing and fill the Mane void. Jota, Diaz and Nunez sounds pretty formidable.

I admit to not really knowing anything about the guy, other than a more muted response in the Man Utd thread, and I never saw the Benfica games so I don't know how he played in those matches.

With Salah potentially walking out next season, Mane going now and Minamino up for grabs, recruitment in the next 12 months is going to be massive if the club want to stay competing. 

22 minutes ago, Adrock said:

Doesn't he start out wide and come inside, much like the other forwards Liverpool currently have? I'm sure he did against them in the Champion's League anyway.

I read bad insight if that’s the case. That’s even better though, we won’t have to shift systems too much to accommodate him (which makes far more sense anyway)

Quick question: which summer signing got you the most excited? I remember being overjoyed when Collymore signed. Kept recycling Ceefax/Teletext pages for confirmation. £8.5m… stupendous money, statement signing. Title here we come, it’s been five long years! Got even more hyped when he scored an absolute pearler on his debut. Didn’t pan out.

At the time, given the way the club was going, Joe Cole was an exciting signing. I thought he could be the creative player we needed. Didn't happen for him at all.

Morientes was probably the most excited I've been about a signing, that pedigree signing could have been immense.

2 hours ago, glb said:

I read bad insight if that’s the case. That’s even better though, we won’t have to shift systems too much to accommodate him (which makes far more sense anyway)

Quick question: which summer signing got you the most excited? I remember being overjoyed when Collymore signed. Kept recycling Ceefax/Teletext pages for confirmation. £8.5m… stupendous money, statement signing. Title here we come, it’s been five long years! Got even more hyped when he scored an absolute pearler on his debut. Didn’t pan out.

I want to say Sheffield Wednesday? It was a beauty. I still maintain he could have been one of the greatest with better management of his personal demons. Him and Fowler were a perfect match when both on it. 

Joe Cole! Forget he ever played for us. Shame really, the lad could play but just never connected with the club.

Who was the fullback who’s mum kept having too many sherries and kicking off on Twitter (or whatever the equivalent was at the time) about him deserving better than what he got off the fans… Konchesky! Fucking grim.

1 minute ago, bradigor said:

I want to say Sheffield Wednesday? It was a beauty. I still maintain he could have been one of the greatest with better management of his personal demons. Him and Fowler were a perfect match when both on it. 

Yup, it was Wednesday. In my mind he larruped it from about 25 yards at around 150mph.

There’s a parallel universe where people still enthuse about Fowler and Collymore, the five title and two European Cups they won together during a glittering career.

Fowler now would be £100m+. What a finisher that kid was.

8 minutes ago, glb said:

Yup, it was Wednesday. In my mind he larruped it from about 25 yards at around 150mph.

There’s a parallel universe where people still enthuse about Fowler and Collymore, the five title and two European Cups they won together during a glittering career.

Fowler now would be £100m+. What a finisher that kid was.

They would have been what Cole/Yorke were. I feel under Evans there was a culture that needed changing. Houllier* came too late for any of those wasted talents. I wonder if Rob Jones for example could have had a longer career with better conditioning, etc. The 90s was such an exciting team with no defence but amazing going forward. 

*I think a younger Fowler under Houllier doesn't get shipped off. He was already too established and they clashed. 

Most exciting signing for me was Karl-Heinze Reidle. I remember watching him play for Dortmund on TV and thinking he was the best thing ever. So when we signed him I got so excited. Again it never worked out. 

The one player I am gutted we never got, or seemed to be in for was Pavel Nedved. Still my favourite ever non-Liverpool player. 

Then Bruno Cheyrou... How long did that excitement last? A pre-season? Next Zidane :lol: 

I honestly thought Stewart Downing would be a great, proper winger and bring back memories of Barnes dancing down the line (I mean, I knew he didn't have the same close control and skill, but would hug the touchline.) It's quite sad that he broke in pretty much the first match when he hit the post I think? I remember reading him talk about how he never really got over that loss of confidence.

Similarly - Christian Ziege. Another who I thought would give options, had a great left foot and scored goals. 

As we're reminiscing and I've started now, I was excited about Karl-Heinze Riedle too - vast experience at the top level, surprisingly good in the air and that German efficiency.

More than any of the above though - Harry Kewell. Good PL pedigree, skilful, could play in numerous positions and coming at a good age. What a shame he wasn't either injured or in poor form for most of his time.

A bit more recent - Balotelli. Clearly a very good player but, like Collymore, his demons were obviously holding back his talent. I thought Rodgers or then Klopp (especially Klopp) might sort him out but alas, twas not to be.

Two final picks: AOC, were it not for injuries his story would be very different. Still want to see him succeed, though it's probably very unlikely now. 

Lazar Markovic - another winger, came with a lot of positive press and glowing reports, never got anywhere. 

16 minutes ago, bradigor said:

They would have been what Cole/Yorke were. I feel under Evans there was a culture that needed changing. Houllier* came too late for any of those wasted talents. I wonder if Rob Jones for example could have had a longer career with better conditioning, etc. The 90s was such an exciting team with no defence but amazing going forward. 

*I think a younger Fowler under Houllier doesn't get shipped off. He was already too established and they clashed. 

Most exciting signing for me was Karl-Heinze Reidle. I remember watching him play for Dortmund on TV and thinking he was the best thing ever. So when we signed him I got so excited. Again it never worked out. 

The one player I am gutted we never got, or seemed to be in for was Pavel Nedved. Still my favourite ever non-Liverpool player. 

Then Bruno Cheyrou... How long did that excitement last? A pre-season? Next Zidane :lol: 

Ha, another Reidle fan!

I remember on Champ Manager I got him on a free transfer when I was in the championship (I can't remember what club I was at though :huh:), he was 35/36 and I did everything to try and make him top scorer. I was also Germany manager, so of course brought him back into the fold :lol:

Suffice to say, he didn't do all that great, but I didn't care, I loved him :wub:

If this Nunez deal goes through and Mane goes for £40m+ that feels like some solid business. 

Not sure what we need in midfield or who we bring in there. 

Still think we'll still Ox and Minamino which is a shame especially Taki. 

Whilst everyone bleats on about us spending silly amounts on Nunez we'll quietly somehow still only spend a fraction of other clubs. 

5 hours ago, Adrock said:

Hopefully he'll be an excellent signing and fill the Mane void. Jota, Diaz and Nunez sounds pretty formidable.

That was how he was utilised against us, but I think he generally plays as a more orthodox striker, which is something we've lacked. His versatility will be useful.

As for exciting summer signings, Torres has to be up there. He was already one of the best strikers in the world, and he only got better with us. One that didn't work out so well was Cisse, I was convinced he'd set all sorts of scoring records for us, but after a promising start he snapped his leg and never really recovered. 

Going back a little further, I was overjoyed when we signed Markus Babbel. He was one of the best defenders in Europe, coming from one of the best teams in Europe, and he was free! He was great in the treble season, but sadly that was all we saw of him due to his illness.

Speaking of Babbel, that reminds me of Ryan Babel, who was supposed to be the next Henry, and... well, he wasn't, was he?

Is Nunez the guy Suarez was recommending to clubs a while back? Would be good to get him.

I dont want Minamino to go though. 

As for exciting signings I was very hyped and happy when we got Balotelli :lol: Shaqiri too. Shame it never worked out for them. 

7 hours ago, Commander Jameson said:

Jari Litmanen was my thrill signing. I remember being very excited that he was joining us. It never clicked for him but there were flashes of his genius.

I saw Litmanen play for Finland against Ireland  in Lansdowne road in one of the worst games I've ever witnessed, it was fucking freezing as well so a miserable experience all round, the only high  point was the 1st 20 minutes as Litmanen  (who was returning from a long  injury)  did a few class things before fading badly as his match fitness was shot.

2 hours ago, bradigor said:

The return of Robbie Fowler. I was still living in Liverpool at the time and the buzz around town was amazing. 

I remember him scoring in his first game back, everyone going bonkers, and then it getting ruled out as offside. As hard as VAR tries, it will never manage a troll as epic as that. 

49 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Social media has been entertaining over Nunez. So much mental gymnastics going on from everywhere. 

Best article I’ve seen is from the MEN, claiming the fact Man United haven’t tried to gazump the deal with higher wages is a sign of the progress they’ve already made under Ten Hag.

Nothing to do with not having Champions League football, obviously.

• glb changed the title to Liverpool Football Club Thread