IGNORED

Liverpool Football Club Thread

glb

2 minutes ago, Keiths_Dad said:

Also Origi. Oh, how I longed for Origi tonight. 

Oops, oh yeah.

Even so, it's not a transitional season. 10 of the core 11 of the team are still there and will play most of the games.

4 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Yes, I watched it. He reacted, badly, but if that was a headbutt then I'm Taylor Swift. Not questioning the red card, just saying that it's possibly no coincidence that the only referee to send a Liverpool player off last season has done it first chance he got this.

Not questioning the red card whilst also questioning it? It was one of the most nailed on red cards you're ever likely to see. It would be more outrageous if a red hadn't been given. 

3 minutes ago, Gabe said:

I don't agree with that - we lost 1 main player (Mane) and 1 cup team player (Minamino) - that's it. In what way is it transitional?

Because Mane is an entirely different style of forward to Nunez, so the shape of the side will shift to accommodate him, and it’ll take a while to adjust to different runs etc

Add in Firmino clearly being on the wane, having been so integral to Klopp’s style, plus Henderson fading and it couldn’t be anything but transitional as the side needs to evolve to integrate squad players like Elliot that will now become regular first-teamers.

Nunez was not the Mane replacement, that was clearly Diaz. Nunez is the Firmino replacement.

As for the red card, I'm not sure there could have been any other outcome at all. Nunez was stupid with engaging, that's exactly what the Palace defender was trying to do.

All in all, two shit performances out of two.

Changing two forwards that have played to the point where they had an almost telepathic understanding with each other, and Salah, in a short space of time was always going to be disruptive, especially when that front line was so, so devastating.

I said this season be transitional at the start of summer and stand by it; the margins for error are so small with Man City in their current state, that even one or two players changing means players have got to hit the ground running, and that’s just not feasible for every player that signs.

*I know Haaland is similarly different for City, but they won the league without a ‘traditional’ striker last season; he touched the ball eight times Vs Bournemouth and they still won 4-0. They didn’t need to change, whereas we did.

1 minute ago, glb said:

Changing two forwards that have played to the point where they had an almost telepathic understanding with each other, and Salah, in a short space of time was always going to be disruptive, especially when that front line was so, so devastating.

I said this season be transitional at the start of summer and stand by it; the margins for error are so small with Man City in their current state, that even one or two players changing means players have got to hit the ground running, and that’s just not feasible for every player that signs.

*I know Haaland is similarly different for City, but they won the league without a ‘traditional’ striker last season; he touched the ball eight times Vs Bournemouth and they still won 4-0. They didn’t need to change, whereas we did.

Hmm, I still don't agree, but fair enough.

Still feel pretty annoyed at Nunez last night, can't recall a red card as stupid as that under Klopp.

2 hours ago, Azrael said:

Any news on when Jota can return? 

Not been any word for a few days but with a hamstring hopefully he's not rushed back too quickly. The current injuries were really highlighted when our bench got shown last night. Felt like a few years ago when we had an amazing XI but nothing much in reserve.

Nunez gets pissed off

Basically, Anderson gives him enough little kicks and shoves that Nunez sees red... literally.  Dopey cunt.

I'm not entirely sure it's a real headbutt though, more he turns round and the bloke is literally right there so he reacts with the closest part of his body.

Let's hope he learns from it.

3 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Those sending death threats to Amdersson can get in the fucking sea.

Oh yes! There are some fucking knobheads in life and lots support football.  Hopefully he'll ignore them.

1 hour ago, Chewylegs said:

Nunez gets pissed off

Basically, Anderson gives him enough little kicks and shoves that Nunez sees red... literally.  Dopey cunt.

I'm not entirely sure it's a real headbutt though, more he turns round and the bloke is literally right there so he reacts with the closest part of his body.

Let's hope he learns from it.

I've watched that video a few times today on various sources, and I think it's fantastic.  They should show it to any academy player who wants to play centre-back at a top level.  Anderson plays him perfectly. Nothing that comes close to crossing the line, nothing really that's even a foul, apart from a push on about 50s that could have been a penalty or free-kick just outside the box depending on where VAR decided the offence took place.  He's just walking into Nunez, putting an arm onto him so he knows where he is, jostling him so he has him where he wants him. Anderson is in control of the situation every time the ball comes near to the pair of them.  It's great defending.

Meanwhile, Nunez is giving some back too, which I don't have a problem with. He is obviously getting frustrated though. He tackles back on Anderson and perhaps leaves a foot in there.  Then he has a swipe at him, which was pretty silly of him. There's not much weight behind it but he's lucky he didn't connect and give the referee a decision to make.  Then of course the red card incident, which for me is when it elevates into sheer comedy.  Nunez makes a couple of half attempts to butt Anderson with the back of his head, then starts waving his arms and shouts to the ref. Anderson angrily shoves him, presumably berating him for the weird attempted back headers.  Nunez, having called to the ref and therefore made sure that he is watching, headbutts him.  Brilliant.  Four separate posters in this thread reckon it's not a headbutt, which blows my mind.  What I would be worried about as a Liverpool fan is that he reacted like that to what was basically good defending.  I'd want my team's centre-backs to do this.  I wish my team's centre-backs backs would stop doing it to their teammates by accident, but that's another story.  I think Nunez was getting frustrated, as hadn't he missed a couple of chances?  I think the pressure of it being his home debut got to him. I doubt it will become a running theme that he's an easy mark for shithouses. He'll learn from this. 

Anderson has received death threats on social media, of course.  Because that's what happens these days.  FFS.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62563500

10 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I've watched that video a few times today on various sources, and I think it's fantastic.  They should show it to any academy player who wants to play centre-back at a top level.  Anderson plays him perfectly. Nothing that comes close to crossing the line, nothing really that's even a foul, apart from a push on about 50s that could have been a penalty or free-kick just outside the box depending on where VAR decided the offence took place.  He's just walking into Nunez, putting an arm onto him so he knows where he is, jostling him so he has him where he wants him. Anderson is in control of the situation every time the ball comes near to the pair of them.  It's great defending.

Meanwhile, Nunez is giving some back too, which I don't have a problem with. He is obviously getting frustrated though. He tackles back on Anderson and perhaps leaves a foot in there.  Then he has a swipe at him, which was pretty silly of him. There's not much weight behind it but he's lucky he didn't connect and give the referee a decision to make.  Then of course the red card incident, which for me is when it elevates into sheer comedy.  Nunez makes a couple of half attempts to butt Anderson with the back of his head, then starts waving his arms and shouts to the ref. Anderson angrily shoves him, presumably berating him for the weird attempted back headers.  Nunez, having called to the ref and therefore made sure that he is watching, headbutts him.  Brilliant.  Four separate posters in this thread reckon it's not a headbutt, which blows my mind.  What I would be worried about as a Liverpool fan is that he reacted like that to what was basically good defending.  I'd want my team's centre-backs to do this.  I wish my team's centre-backs backs would stop doing it to their teammates by accident, but that's another story.  I think Nunez was getting frustrated, as hadn't he missed a couple of chances?  I think the pressure of it being his home debut got to him. I doubt it will become a running theme that he's an easy mark for shithouses. He'll learn from this.

It certainly shows the shit you have to get used to if you want to be a professional player.  Must be so annoying getting pushed, pulled, grabbed at all times when half the time you aren't seeing it coming or the ball isn't even near.  As you said, not really any fouls in there apart from maybe the shove.

He's 22, so he can easily learn from it and I'm not worried to be honest, as you said it's not likely to be a running theme.  You'd of thought he came across it in Portugal though.

From the headbutt point of view, I don't see it as such as I think of a proper Glaswegian kiss as a headbutt, rather than that.  He certainly butts his chin though!

It's certainly a red.

18 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I'd want my team's centre-backs to do this. 

Oh, it's a masterclass in centre-half play, getting under the skin of a young player.

EDIT: Also, can we stop with the "oh well it's not a proper headbutt" shite? It's a headbutt in the context of modern football. We all know this.

7 minutes ago, ilpostino said:

Oh, it's a masterclass in centre-half play, getting under the skin of a young player.

EDIT: Also, can we stop with the "oh well it's not a proper headbutt" shite? It's a headbutt in the context of modern football. We all know this.

It's a face rub.

Ramos has a poster of Anderson on his wall.

It was brilliant goading and have no issue with that or much of Palace doing what they could to secure the point (which should have been three with Zaha’s late chance) Football is hardly a level playing field, so a sprinkling of gamesmanship is fair game (Mane was fantastically snide for us, beyond being a great player)

Hopefully Nunez will learn from it, and come back with a point to prove, which will be interesting to see given the first game after his ban is up will be the calm waters of a derby at Everton.

I don't expect we will sign any more players but we could really do with another experienced midfielder and maybe another forward to cover injuries.

Hoping Bobby is back for next game or do we play Carvalho/Elliot up front.

21 minutes ago, Buttery55 said:

anyone else think this game against man utd could be a boring 0-0? both teams need a win and could end up being a borefest. 

I'd imagine that's the most likely scoreline. They'll set-up so as not to lose; our midfield looks like it's playing in treacle while being held together with string and best wishes.

Agree with @Chewylegs that Elliot was one of the positives on Monday; hopefully he starts because he already has that swagger of a very good player, and he's linking up well with Salah (more Vs Fulham, but the two clearly have a good understanding already)

43 minutes ago, kiroquai said:

Presume this is freely available to read for everyone: The Athletic: The Untold Tragedy of Ian Frodsham

Am sure a few folks around here remember the name. Fantastic piece, wonderful way to remember someone who might have ended up a household name like Stevie G and Carra.

Thanks for posting, I had no idea about the details. Poor lad, some of the stuff about the doctors was awful.

8 hours ago, kiroquai said:

Presume this is freely available to read for everyone: The Athletic: The Untold Tragedy of Ian Frodsham

Am sure a few folks around here remember the name. Fantastic piece, wonderful way to remember someone who might have ended up a household name like Stevie G and Carra.

An article that’s both heartwarming and heartbreaking. Tragic the young lad never got the chance to realise his potential, but lovely that so many still remember him so fondly.

Anyone have any luck with the Auto Cup enrolment scheme's today? FA Cup and Champions League were non-starters, even with a decent place in the queue. Got in the Kenny for the League Cup. Will try again for the FA Cup on general sale if we get a home tie, and hammer refresh if any of the Champions League games get to a members' sale.

Getting excited/nervous for later. Gym, then a walk, then settle in to what is a pretty intriguing game, with more narratives than a film festival.

Not sure at all about tonight. I can see anything happening, from the game being abandoned, so us winning 6-0 or evenm losing badly. Right the way to a game with zero incident that finishes 0-0

I think, assuming the game goes ahead, that we'll be fine. We managed to start both our league games with a bit of pressure, but whereas Fulham and Palace were supremely well organised and kept us out before taking the lead themselves, United will fold.

If they had sorted Casemiro out however, I could see a problem.