rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Uzi

Family Sharing: the feature that gamers stupidly lost

Wow, I was suckered in to the 10 people can play any games in the shared library thing. Like Mulder, I wanted to Believe, but turns out MS were just the cigarette smoking man, stamping on my little sister's face...

• Upvote 4

Are we now taking internet rumours from unverified sources at face value again and spawning them across four different threads?

Particularly given the 60 minutes thing was clearly to do with the "using game on your profile on not your home console"?

We just glossed over that because we figured, during the PEAK of the "24 hour check" freakout, that 1 hour offline for visiting a friend was just more shit on the cake.

Nope.

That was the max amount of time a friend could play a copy. Period

Conflating one rumour with a different clearly stated policy.

--

Aside: It'd be an interesting feature though if they can sort the delivery mechanism out and ignore the whole "got to be a family friend" bollocks (I'm aware it's similar to that feature on PSN+, and I'd be shocked if Sony don't support it). Particularly since Game Demos appear to be going the Way of the Dodo.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

No reason they couldn't have still kept their wondrous sharing feature just for purchases from the digital marketplace. The fact they've dropped it completely does appear to hint that it never actually existed in the form people hoped.

• Upvote 1

Are we now taking internet rumours from unverified sources at face value again and spawning them across four different threads?

Given that we're never going to see what it may have been, rumour and speculation are probably the closest we'll ever know what it was going to be. That, and a lack of clear details allows MS to get huffy and blame everyone else for not implementing whatever it was going to be.

Thanks for raising this as it had passed me by during the shit storm. However, the idea that they would let you share a game with friends like that, was clearly preposterous regardless of the other stuff going on.

Given that we're never going to see what it may have been, rumour and speculation are probably the closest we'll ever know what it was going to be. That, and a lack of clear details allows MS to get huffy and blame everyone else for not implementing whatever it was going to be.

More allows us to get huffy about possible interpretations of a feature that was never explained.

"Family Sharing allows users to swap siblings with ones they liked more. Every time a 'marked' sibling walks in front of the television, they're digitally replaced iin the Kinect feed with your preferred alternative. If they try to speak, Kinect captures their voice and feeds a noise cancelling feed directly to your headset. Can also be used to mute the sound of those kids you've got tied up in the basement."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I've noticed a few people also mentioning the ability to trade and/or resell digital purchases as a theoretically great feature that has now been dropped along with the DRM. Did I miss mention of this in Microsoft's original announcements? It only seems to have cropped up as a supposed feature now it's not coming anymore. Or are people just making wild assumptions about what might have come along in future under a DRM regime?

Cboat is pretty verified at this point.

I'm still waiting for that exclusive PoP and Mirrors Edge reveal at the Xbone conference. Everyone's wrong sometimes, and hilariously, that "confirmation" is from earlier posts and can be read to mean something entirely different.
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 9

Given that every single rumour about Microsoft this year came to become true, and that fact it fits perfectly with the tone of anti-consumer sentiment running through Microsoft at the moment... Yes. Yes we are.

I think it would be smart to introduce this as an incentive for digital downloads and make it generous. Make it a real selling point of Xbox Live.

Can always change their minds ;)

• Upvote 4

I'm still waiting for that exclusive PoP and Mirrors Edge reveal at the Xbone conference. Everyone's wrong sometimes, and hilariously, that "confirmation" is from earlier posts and can be read to mean something entirely different.

Mirrors Edge 2 was revealed at the EA event. It may well have been moved from the Xbox event or it was "misheard". Pop is the only thing on his list that didn't come true, the other 10 or however many it was all did.

As far as anonymous sources go, thats a very good record.

• Upvote 3

He does have the previous years record as well. He isn't going to be 100% right about leaks unless he has direct access to information whenever it changes at the top. So would you go on the word of him and the common sense/circumstances of the situation or go on the fanboy logic of believing microsoft were going to let you share games with up to 9 people without any extra revenue whatsoever. Which of the two options are more likely? I'll let you good people make your minds up.

Also don't trust Footle because one time I said windows 8 sucked and he stuck up for it :P (windows 8 is shit).

NeoGAF are pretty ruthless about banning people who claim to be insiders, the fact he's still a member there adds credence to his claims.

My favourite bits of rllmuk next gen drama so far have been:

Simms giving it 'I was with you guys all along!' when MS reversed their decision

Jon talking about 'Apple have lost Steam', when he probably saw an article saying that Apple are losing steam

Keep it up guys.

• Upvote 1

This deserved its own topic I feel as it might have been brushed over in the others.

So what was the one great feature that was being communicated outside of the one disaster. The family sharing right- but the way it worked was never clear- the wording around it was vague and no one was left clear on how exactly it worked. Who was allowed to play what on your list of 10? Still sounded obviously too good to be true and kind of counter to the idea that the DRM was obviously to control game revenue. That was the whole point. Why do that and then allow you to share your game in such a manner that it might dissuade 9 other sales? Especially when Sony who when they messed up with the PS3, offered for the LIMITED PSN library the ability to share with up to 5 people fully until this was taken away as publishers like Capcom were not happy with this freedom. Sure, maybe only two people were allowed to play at a time but for a console that allowed you to do this with ALL copies of games (not just digital) - it could potentially cut sales in half after the DRM measures were in place again to control revenue.

A little more confusion came when Major Nelson in an interview with Angry Joe who said "Can we play multiplayer games at the same time?" Nelson replied "split screen sure" which made this bizarre single player/mp split come in. He uses the words "check it out" and I've heard "try" as well in other interviews, check here at around 03:51. "It's not like you're buying ONE copy for all TEN members"

So the whole thing was a little fishy. Before E3 hit, Boozy's favourite leak source CBOAT on neo-gaf said the DRM measures were worse than they were letting on. Then of course the whole changes kicked in after the poor reception and Sony destroying them at E3, and they dropped it all. Including the family sharing. This led some people to believe that the backwards shortsighted idiots who didn't like the xbox one DRM suddenly had denied them the chance to buy one game on launch day for 4 quid each with their gaming cartels with 9/10 other friends. Boooooooooooo! Why gamers why? Why did you deny us the policy that completely contradicts the whole point of the DRM?

Turns out there was potentially a reason why MS was being so vague, why Major Nelson said "you're not buying one copy for all ten members" because you're not. Words like "try" and "check it out". Because they're full game demos. If you're not the primary license holder, apparently you get limited access to the full games OF AN HOUR. Full game trials essentially.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=598291

That's why they took it out. Because they communicated it so badly people naively thought it was time they were going to get games for a tenth of the purchase price- at a time when Cliffy B is moaning that the current cost of dev games is struggling so the xbox one DRM was the answer- it obviously was if it didn't allow you to do that. Because it didn't.

Anyway, what sneaky shady motherfuckers they are. Boozy, Simms whatever, neg button is there -------------------------------------->

Thanks for listening!

I just wish that MS's competitors had brought as much to E3 to get excited about as MS seem to have brought to get angry about.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 12

I just wish that MS's competitors had brought as much to E3 to get excited about as MS seem to have brought to get angry about.

They brought a consumer friendly, open and honest philosophy, that only a week or so later, Microsoft are desperately scrabbling around trying to copy.

• Upvote 1

I like how even now, the same three posters keep trying the same terrible attempts at defending or even deflecting attention away from Microsoft. I've not seen such a terrible defensive posture since Tangles.

• Upvote 9

I like how even now, the same three posters keep trying the same terrible attempts at defending or even deflecting attention away from Microsoft. I've not seen such a terrible defensive posture since Tangles.

:doh: Thats exactly what I've been doing and with great success don't you think

I like how even now, the same three posters keep trying the same terrible attempts at defending or even deflecting attention away from Microsoft. I've not seen such a terrible defensive posture since I tried to make the PS3 look good for it's first 4 years post launch.

Fixed that for you.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Are people defending Microsoft through thIs trolling or serious? Microsoft just treated all gamers like shit, tried to sell us magic beans and then when it all went wrong for them they have backtracked and offered us slightly less than Sony for more money.

Daft cunts. Not Simms and Boozy, Microsoft.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

My favourite bits of rllmuk next gen drama so far have been:

Simms giving it 'I was with you guys all along!' when MS reversed their decision

Jon talking about 'Apple have lost Steam', when he probably saw an article saying that Apple are losing steam

Keep it up guys.

Haha, that's pretty much exactly what happened! A mate texted me saying Apple had lost steam after the keynote and I thought he meant Steam.

What happened to Valve revealing Steambox at E3 anyway? Or Half Life 3?

Well due, it's a negative rumor about Microsoft! Of course it's going to be reposted across several threads and even given one of its own so everyone can slap each each other on the back and all laugh about how shit Microsoft is.

http://kotaku.com/rumor-about-xbox-one-family-sharings-downsides-has-fla-534484570

Oh, it's complete bollocks? Never mind the truth, Kinect is still shit! +1!

I wonder if that guy will finally get banned now so we can be spared any future insider knowledge.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

Well due, it's a negative rumor about Microsoft! Of course it's going to be reposted across several threads and even given one of its own so everyone can slap each each other on the back and all laugh about how shit Microsoft is.http://kotaku.com/rumor-about-xbox-one-family-sharings-downsides-has-fla-534484570

Oh, it's complete bollocks? Never mind the truth, Kinect is still shit! +1!

I wonder if that guy will finally get banned now so we can be spared any future insider knowledge.

You mean uncorrobrated rumour remains...well dubious, and people quote a neogaf insider completely out of context, somg a post written weeks ago and referring to something else, in support of their theory?

Then get upset when you point that out?

Negative PR is self sustaining.

He didn't post that in response to this rumour. He posted it about the "playing your games at your mates house" scenario.

Lol, Hows this thread working out for the original poster. What a waste of time putting all that nonsense together Pathetic really.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 21