IGNORED

The definitive tennis game

Asura

With Wimbledon on, I've been thinking - what is the definitive tennis game?

For me, nothing beats the original Virtua Tennis - and that includes its sequels. Each subsequent version has added more features but gotten away from that original simplicity.

For doing something different, I always loved International 3D Tennis on the C64 - programmed by Sensible Software and published by Palace. Why? Let me count the ways...

Ten different viewing angles

Wireframe players that are beautifully animated - from bouncing the ball before a serve to shaking hands at the end of the match

Season mode with loads of different tournaments to play

A wonderful rendition of that familiar tennis music by the late great Richard Joseph

Three levels of control, including the ability to add spin to the ball

All joking aside, Mario Tennis on the virtua boy is actually really good.

Think of GameBoy tennis (which is also ace) only in three dee.

I whould hope you all get the chance to try it at least once.

I used to love Match Point on the spectrum. It was very playable at the time as it was very simplistic.

The only other tennis game I played a lot of was Great Courts 2 but I'd imagine that has aged badly now.

I have to agree with Virtua Tennis, its just so crisp, clean, and has memorable music. BTW congrats to you Brits for finally winning Wimbledon. I was very disappointed in Lisicki's performance in the womens final against Bartoli though-- Sabine simply fell apart. Bartoli gave her so many free double faults, its was a shame that she literally self-destructed.

Sabine is so damned sexy too. I love watching her play.

I think virtua tennis was one of those perfect games like advance wars where the first game was so perfect that they had nowhere to go but down. I personally prefer 2 but that is only because I played 2 first.

Virtua Tennis 3 for me. It was the last classic edition - 2009 was terrible and while 4 was a step in the right direction by bringing it back in-house, it's got a bit too complicated. VT3 on PS3 with a couple of arcade sticks is heaven.

I used to like Mario Tennis on N64 back in the day but revisiting it now it's all so wooly. My manky broken old sticks don't really help, admittedly.

Mario Tennis 64 is still one of my favourite games of all time. The ROM I have for it is a bit broken (such that all of the sparks and stuff from hitting the ball appear only in the top left corner of the screen, and occasionally the ball disappears so you have to track it by its shadow), but it's still awesome.

I think virtua tennis was one of those perfect games like advance wars where the first game was so perfect that they had nowhere to go but down. I personally prefer 2 but that is only because I played 2 first.

Sega do that sometimes. Super Monkey Ball and Crazy Taxi are similar.

Virtua Tennis is a huge no no for me. Amazing animation for the time but you simply cannot hit the ball out, at all. Absolutely no point in playing it.

Super Tennis is still the best tennis title for me. Amazing control of the ball with a huge variety of shots. Grand Slam Tennis 2 is superb for a more recent effort.

All joking aside, Mario Tennis on the virtua boy is actually really good.

Think of GameBoy tennis (which is also ace) only in three dee.

I whould hope you all get the chance to try it at least once.

It is very good. Peach has a lovely little arse wiggle as well!

(If you like that sort of thing. Ahem.)