Dota 2 Reborn. Source 2 is here!

Mac and Linux support is in the test client at the moment (in a rough form) so I'd expect to see proper support in the main client in the next couple of weeks.

FFS. Any guesses how long it will take to get the game?

Shouldn't take too long - they're rolling out access in waves so that they don't overload the servers, but the number of unique players is shooting up daily so even that 70,000 should be worked through pretty quickly.

I was at 25000 or so, and had access after one day. May even have been quicker, since it just suddenly showed up in my games list - could easily have been there for longer without me noticing...

In any case, I might take up the offer once I get back to my pc later this week - initial plan is to keep it casual though, regarding the amounts of time spent... Fingers are crossed :P

I'm a bit allergic to keyboard and mouse for gaming at the moment, I presume there are no pad control options?

I really enjoyed GoME when there were no connection issues so DOTA2 does interest me but... I don't know! :unsure:

I'm a bit allergic to keyboard and mouse for gaming at the moment, I presume there are no pad control options?

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha.

Sorry, not for this game. :P You need up to 6 buttons just for hero abilities (most have 3-4 ones you need to activate) and you'll want to use at least a few buttons for item shortcuts as well. Precision is needed for movement and actions, too, for which analogue sticks would be completely unsuited. It's just never going to happen.

Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha.

Sorry, not for this game. :P You need up to 6 buttons just for hero abilities (most have 3-4 ones you need to activate) and you'll want to use at least a few buttons for item shortcuts as well. Precision is needed for movement and actions, too, for which analogue sticks would be completely unsuited. It's just never going to happen.

Worked flawlessly on GoME, can't imagine that WITHOUT pad controls, does DOTA2 have a bit more going on?

Yes. Significantly. I didn't even go into the possibility that you might want to use a micro-heavy hero like Chen who can control his own little army of creeps.

I should clarify that this isn't at all some sort of snobbery about gamepads being inferior. I play a whole bunch of games with a gamepad myself. But Dota just couldn't be done with one.

I've invited Dood, Ersatz and Motivator.

Re: gamepads, I just don't see it working. Maybe direct control would work for some heroes, but many functions just wouldn't make sense on a gamepad.

Good OP - I'm keen. I was already planning on playing the tutorial and trying out some bot matches this week so some noob friendly matches sound great.

I've spectated a few games and read a few guides but never actually played the game. I was always put off by the supposed hostile community, steep learning curve and time commitment but the positive buzz and the fact it's a Valve game means that I reckon I should give it a try. :)

I've invited Dood, Ersatz and Motivator.

Re: gamepads, I just don't see it working. Maybe direct control would work for some heroes, but many functions just wouldn't make sense on a gamepad.

Try again and spell it right this time as I dont have any invite :)

I am kind on interested in learning DOTA2. Only one problem. I kind of play 'the other game'. A lot. Does this mean I will get beaten with sticks and hung onto the basketball nets via my undies? The one thing I would have said for LoL is the limited champion pool might have made it easier for completely new people. Then Valve do that limited champs pool which has got me very interested.

I am kind on interested in learning DOTA2. Only one problem. I kind of play 'the other game'. A lot. Does this mean I will get beaten with sticks and hung onto the basketball nets via my undies?

Some people will have an irrational reaction if you use LOL (or HON) terminology for Dota, so make sure to call them 'heroes' and not 'champions', 'creeps' not 'minions', 'Roshan' not 'Baron', and so on. But it's best to learn the Dota terms anyway, for maximum clarity.

But generally, no. They are different games so approach them as such.

I played a few games months ago and was barely able to make sense of the menus enough to do that. But too many people talk too passionately about it for it to be as shit as i think it is. So, ok. Downloading when i get home.

Try again and spell it right this time as I dont have any invite :)

It's OK I added you from the friends list. I think you need to go into the game and look in the "community" bit?

Current invites:

UPlkIHe.png

Thanks for the invite. I've started the tutorials and you can feel the warcraft roots :) Anyway, I'll get through them then on to the bots. I suspect I'll play it more once the Mac client comes out, rebooting into windows takes precious gaming time!