Dota 2 Reborn. Source 2 is here!

Moz

I've sent invites to Moodmon, Wuijibobo (?) and Sonicwave. I'm not sure how the invites arrive, if you don't see them when you log into the game, PM me and I'll delete and recreate the invite while you're online. It might prompt a popup on your screen!

I might try my hand at a bit of streaming too, with an emphasis on giving a total beginner some idea of what Dota 2 is about. I can't do it tonight as I'm preparing for an interview tomorrow, but after the interview I have the whole day free :)

Ok so the new tutorial is miles better than whatever there was before. I've not finished the whole thing yet but it's making sense at least. I'll never remember all this shop stuff though.

I'll add you on Steam if that's ok Moz, I'd like into the guild when you have time.

Ok so the new tutorial is miles better than whatever there was before. I've not finished the whole thing yet but it's making sense at least. I'll never remember all this shop stuff though.

Aye you will. It becomes second nature after a while, trust me. The Shopkeeper's Quiz thing when you're queuing for a match will help you, too.

I'll sort you all out when I get home tonight. There should be enough people in the guild for you to hook up with each other and play some co-op bot matches now :)

mprice86, the shop stuff is massively overwhelming, it feels like walking into Makro or something. If you use the preconfigured build guides however, it will tell you exactly what to buy and in which order.

It breaks down like this:

You can right click any item in the shop or in your build to buy it.

If you are stood near the shop, the item goes into your inventory.

If you are not stood near the shop, the item goes into your stash.

You can pick up the item by going back to base, OR by pressing the "bring items" button and having the courier bring your item to you. It's your basic Dominos Pizza collection/delivery setup :D

Some items are built by combining other items. The combining all happens automatically, if you buy component A and component B, they will automatically combine to form the new item, which saves time.

Now it gets a tiny bit more complicated (this one is for people who have played a couple of games already).

You can add items to a quick-buy menu in the bottom right hand corner of your screen. Shift-click any item in the shop or in your build to add it to your quick buy list. Here's where it gets confusing, but bear with. All the requisite materials for the item will be added to the quick buy list. So, if you shift-click "cake", you'll see "eggs", "sugar" "flour" and "water" appear in your quickbuy menu.

The reason for this is that you lose money when you die. Because of this, you want to spend your money as quickly as possible. Therefore, you're way better off buying "eggs" straight away, instead of waiting until you have enough money to buy all the ingredients at once. Make sense? :)

(The cake is a lie... there's no item called cake :))

Something I left a bit too long was learning about how to buy and use the Courier. It's really useful and your team will love you for buying and using it properly. Basically, if you're a Support character the general tip is to buy a Courier at the start (others correct me if I'm wrong). Search YouTube for some help videos on "how to use DOTA2 Courier".

Is a mic needed?

You can do, but you only need two WAV samples. "noob!" and "back! back! back!".

Just kidding. That's LoL.

I would encourage voice chat, normally one person pipes up and others quickly join in, it's the easiest way to communicate. There's a chat wheel if you press and hold Y, for things like "well played" etc.

Tyagi is right, if you're a support character you should buy a courier. Equally if no-one else on your team has bought one, be the better man and buy one yourself. Your team can't function without one!

To buy a courier, just type "courier" into the search window at the top of the shop, and right click the courier that pops up. The courier is added to your inventory as a usable item, you need to activate it by clicking on it. At which point a lovely nubile donkey appears in front of you, ready for action. Don't forget to activate it, your team won't be happy if you're walking about with the courier in your pocket!

Fairly early on, you'll want to upgrade your courier to a flying courier. Again, just type courier into the search window of the shop, and right click flying courier. The upgrade is immediate, the flying courier can travel in a straight line across the map rather than travelling along paths.

It looked pretty good while it was up. :)

Awesome chatter from your teammates though. "lol you picked AM what a tard".

Ha, yep. They proceeded to lose the game for us. Met a lovely lassie who I'm playing with again in a new game though, nice Aussie girl :)

Hmm, my stream was actually streaming for an hour and a half, I have a 90 minute two game session on my past broadcasts. But they sat at "offline" the whole time I was actually broadcasting. Weird...