IGNORED

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Fox

Personally, I'm looking forward to this & that trailer was better than I hoped at this stage. I'm glad that studios are shirking origins stories for overly established characters.

I reckon that the first 30 minutes of SVBDOJ will be exposition explaining, in true media recap montage style, how Luthorcorp & Wayne Enterprises rebuilt Metropolis as well as the rise of new heroes "following" in Superman's footsteps by fighting crime in various cities. It'll probably show exposé style grainy footage of Batman & Aquaman, & likely The Flash too before cutting to Lex & Bruce in a news conference unveiling some sort of satellite defence platform which they claim has the power to fight these "metahumans" by some unknown means.

"Origin stories are bad"

"Let's replace them with 30 minutes of exposition at the start of the film"

Fucking hell, I'm glad you guys aren't directors.

I don't think it's unreasonable to extrapolate that in the opening scenes & movie setup that they'll say something about how Lex Luthor is this benevolent figure who with Bruce Wayne rebuilt the city (as this has already been reported previously) & how he made his (legal) fortune, while throughout the film he'll be manipulating the confrontation behind Supes & Bats to his own ends.

Then you either have no understanding of the concept of 'origin stories' & the fundamental difference between that concept & exposition, or, you're a very poor troll. The audience doesn't need to know how Batman became Batman because it's been explained by Burton & Nolan. The audience doesn't need to know why he 'hates' Superman before the movie starts because I'm sure that will be the driving force behind the movie. Of what will be a near 3 hour movie, I'm sure 30 minutes (or more) will likely be given over to allow the audience to see why Luthor became Luthor, how Metroplois was rebuilt & how Superman became a 'false god' as depicted by the graffiti on that statue. But by all means, piss & moan about what we DON'T know from a 2 minute trailer. Well done, what a life you live! As long as the audience get the Superman Vs Batman fight sequence plus a setup for the rest of the Justice League universe then surely this placemat of a movie will be what's expected.

So we're going from Batman as the living embodiment of capitalism crushing and beating down the poor, the mentally ill, and those who didn't amass their filthy lucre the 'right' way, to one that now also wants to make starry-eyed, hard working 'illegal' immigrants bleed as well?

Poor Clark. Good job the lad can take care of himself.

Watched the trailer, found it intriguing and quite like the idea of 'fast-forwarding' from the end of Man of Steel to a point a few years down the line where Superman is revered by earthlings, tipping over into the 'false god' situation outlined. Quite how everything rumoured to be in the film is going to be handled without it bloating out to Spider-Man 3 levels is another thing, particularly with Snyder at the helm.

The brooding tone at least makes a bit more sense and fits better this time around. My biggest issue with Man of Steel was it lacked the 'hope' of the Reeves' era Superman and ended up being way more po-faced than it needed to be but here that approach looks right. So from two minutes or so of footage, I'm interested in what they're doing, perhaps cautiously optimistic but there's so much coming out between now and this even getting a full trailer that any intrigue will have to sit on the back burner for a while.

On a tangent, currently reading Superman Vs Hollywood and would recommend it to any fans of Superman, comic book movies in general or those interested in the Hollywood machine. Lots of good trivia along the way, such as Neil Diamond being briefly considered for the role Christopher Reeves made so iconic.

Ah, you're a student of the Bolshevik Revolution reading of TDKR.

Nah, it was pretty clearly a commentary on American intervention in Iraq, blud.

The interesting thing with this new film is that it's clearly heavily inspired by the final part of The Dark Knight Returns on a fundamental level but has reversed the roles so that Batman is the antagonist seemingly intentionally picking a fight with Clark, who we already know to be a good and decent guy who serves the people and not its rulers. After all, putting on a suit of powered armour to fight Superman just because he's a godlike alien being who makes shady rich dudes insecure? That's traditionally Lex Luthor's shtick.

Affleck looks awesome as Bats. It has to be said.

This to me is the only thing that interests me in the movie.

He's a great actor who still seems to be suffering hate because of movies like Pearl Harbour and Gigli. This is despite them being over ten years old now and starring in some stunning films since then. Maybe he'll even give Snyder some directing tips.

And let's face it, he can't do a worse Bat voice than Bale.

He's a great screen presence, was the best thing in Argo, The Town and Gone Girl. He's known to have great longtime affection for the character too. Kevin Smith has gone about what comic book geeks the pair of them are.

The film will be a joyless bleakathon though, Snyder has never made anything to make me think otherwise.

Smith bought Affleck's house a decade or so ago and on one of his podcasts told a story about the first time he was there. Ben excitedly took him to the master bedroom and reached into a bookshelf and a secret door opened. It was a panic room obviously, but they geeked out like a couple of kids at having a secret batcave entrance.