IGNORED

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Fox

I wasn't that bothered about seeing it but went to the double bill last night because it fell on good Friday anyway and I really enjoyed it.

I had pretty low expectations but thought it set up a DC franchise really well 

the one thing I didn't like was the over the top unhinged tech CEO Luther

I liked Man of Steel, but this was bloody awful. I thought the start was quite well done, but then it collapses into what feels like hours of utterly joyless, and completely nonsensical drudgery before finally picking up for the climax. Needless to say I don't recommend it.

Lex was a bit silly.

But the bit that was most jarring for me was 

Spoiler

Superman lived and teamed up with Batman because luckily their mothers have the same name? That was the best script they could come up with?

Really dumb.

Shame as the Batman/Superman fight itself was actually good fun.

I felt the first half hour or so was all over the place trying to quickly show the backstory. After that though I thought it was great.

Not as good as Avengers Assemble, but much better than Age of Ultron.

23 minutes ago, unspec said:

But the bit that was most jarring for me was 

Reveal hidden contents

Superman lived and teamed up with Batman because luckily their mothers have the same name? That was the best script they could come up with?

Really dumb.

I think it was more that he realised Superman wasn't just some Alien, but he was infact just like like anyone else who loved their family

I've just seen it ....

its shit. 

Wonder Women rocking up in full Amazonian kick ass kill the big bad guy you dumb fucks mode.... is the best bit.

Its humourless, makes no sense, the plot jumps all over the place, you seriously need to know some back story form the comics. Batman is a fat slow pudgy fucker, Superman is a dull boy scout that dispares for mankind by shaking his head a lot. Lex is ADD to the max and really really irritating. The weirdest bit is a sleep/premonition  thing with a character you have no idea who he is telling Batman/Bruce "its all to do with Luis lane" then they go and ... it's never ever mentioned again !!!

2 long hours of my life I'll never get back/10

1 minute ago, tbb said:

Hide contents

I think it was more that he realised Superman wasn't just some Alien, but he was infact just like like anyone else who loved their family

Spoiler

No, it's the way they make that connection that's super stupid. I have no problem with using a 'what would you do for the people you love' dialogue between the two. But 'matching mum' is just coincidence and it feels so lazy. That should be a moment that pivots on the strength of the characters, rather then a random shared past he just happened to summarise in one word. He could have shouted 'orphan' or something...

Oh and I forgot about those dream sequences, really could have cut them out of the film and lost nothing. 

44 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

I'm just talking to Kenshi about this and the dream sequences were actually visions of Justice League.

It seems that there is a LOT of shit in this that actually only makes sense if you have read the comics. 

I watched kermode's review and was wondering that. Maybe it's because I can subconsciously fill in the gaps with background knowledge... I'll be seeing it again on Monday at least so I guess I'll wait and see. 

Oh dear.

I didn't like Man of Steel, didn't care for the trailers, but thought fuck it - might be good.

It's not - the trailers do give away pretty much everything. I don't think I've ever seem a film where you know exactly what is coming - so anything that might have been a bit dramatic is ruined.

Its really long, next to nothing happens for most of it bar some weird dream sequences. Batman and Superman do next to fuck all on their own or against each other.

Its much more downbeat and depressing than Man of Steel - just a drudge of misery, explosions, moping and more misery.

Affleck, Irons, Gardot and Fishburne are all fine. Luthor is even more mental that in the trailers - more like an unscary Joker than criminal mastermind.

It barely makes any sense, the film just stops occasionally to set up Justice League and the music over the final battle is laughably bad. Set pieces are pretty poor/average and while Wayne is good, Batman had been Snyder'd.

It's not laugh out loud bad, just a miserable mess. This lengthy rant may seem like I'm furious about it, but it's similar to T5 - crap, but unsurprisingly so. We've had good Superman movies (a long time ago) and we've had good Batman movies. This isn't either.

I've gone from being mildly upset that it's bad, to kind of revelling in the drubbing. It'll make a ton of money, but it'll be remembered as a bad film, and that serves everyone involved right. They did bad work. 

Say what you will about Marvel's 'committee movie' approach, but they've delivered twelve films that are at the very least entertaining and fun, and often excellent. DC handed its biggest properties to a 'visionary director' and he fucked with it until it was broken. Maybe a big cinematic universe needs multiple captains at the helm, to keep each other in check and make sure there's at least a level of consistency. Otherwise, don't try to build it.

Some spoilerly thoughts/questions.

Dream sequence

Spoiler

Bit with the Flash - was his warning about Lois supposed to relate to this film? If so - did I miss the bit where Bats could have let her die??

Action scenes

Spoiler

More scenes of Metropolis destruction from the first film, then more and more things blowing up, then Doomsday destroying bits of metropolis and bits of Gotham - Batman luring him to. Gotham was stupid as fuck even if it was to the un-inhabited docks or whatever. Its almost like it was a fuck you to anyone who moaned about all the destruction in MOS.

The ending

Spoiler

So they have Doomsday kill him like the comic (sort of), finishing a miserable film with a miserable ending but this is a Superman who no-one gives a shit about, does nothing all film bar mope around and get best up so it means nothing, he clearly isn't dead, but they have also boxed themselves into a corner by killing Clark rather than having him missing). 

Superman is this film - nearly killed by Superman, nearly killed by a Nuke and then killed by Doomsday - but he did rescue a girl from a fire

Holy shit this is bad. It's in a completely different league to Man of Steel, which I personally felt was really well made but a bit tone deaf and hollow.

BvS actually starts off really well, right up until that dream sequence...

They spend two full fucking hours setting up the fight and yet by the time they got there I had absolutely no idea why Batman wanted to kill Superman.  Oh, and they're both casually idiotic murderous arseholes whenever the script can't be arsed to come up with a more sensible solution to something. I had no problem with the one-off killing of Zod in Man of Steel, but in this such moments are a frequent occurrence.