IGNORED

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice

The Fox

4 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Basically, in this he's the giant troll from Lord of the Rings, but with laser eyes. 

I thought it was going to go all Lego Dimensions and have Gandalf and his crew show up.

Seriously, that was a boring, terrible film. I went in with low expectations and had them hammered deeper. It didn't have to be like a Marvel film, or a Batman film or any other film. It just had to be coherent, well shot, a decent length and entertaining. It didn't hit any of those for me.

Personally, I hope these extended universe franchises on the DC and Marvel side start to fizzle out, they need putting away for a while before someone tries again with a real fresh approach in a few years. Aside from the Wonder Woman film, and any Batman that Affleck gets to direct, I'm done with these overblown snooze fests

Seen it, and it was long.  Christ!  Enjoyed it, some great camera work I thought and liked the overblown super hero Jesus can save us shots and a few other bits (the perfectly lined up fire escape bit pointing down toward the road stood out, odd)... but then it was all mixed up later in the film and the huge CGI fight kind of kept things interesting towards the end.  Not bad really, maybe a bit disappointing.  I like Cavil's Superman, but not his Clark.  I liked Affleck's Bruce, but not his Batman. 

Also a huge quantity of young children seeing this, some parent having a rant to an usher on the way out about violence and breasts.  12A, deal with it.  And then I went to see Deadpool again to make up for SvsB :lol:

The Lego Batman Movie intro/trailer/teaser was fucking brilliant before the film - can't find it online though, heh.

Yeah The Lego Batman tease before is different to the one they released online. This one was better. That film will be so much fun.  

I really wish they could have got a different director for Justice League.  No excitement for that now. That film should be fun and uplifting but will just be as dour and humourless as this.  

Saw this today, thought it was a 3/5 film. Very good,for the first third, OK in the middle, poor ending. I like Cavill, but by fuck they should have kept Routh as he would have been much better. Affleck was ok, but for me perhaps the weakest on screen Batman (never understood the dislike for Clooney). And I'm a big fan of him normally.

My mate disliked it and my daughter (who loves Green Lantern and has seen it a dozen times) thought it was poor to average. It isn't as good as either MOS or GL which were Both better directed and with better scripts.

I thought Adams was excellent and Irons was brilliant. Eisenberg wasn't half as annoying as I thought he would be and, in fact, I kinda enjoyed his different take on the character. We all thought it was nice to see a modern blockbuster without expletives.

its certainly time to ditch Snyder.

Just got back from this CGI nightmare. I was expecting it to be bad, but run of the mill bad like Green Lantern or Battleship or similar. But as someone with an interest in witnessing cinematic trainwrecks, it exceeded my expectations, it's gloriously wretched!

It's a bizarre film, the titular characters bear little resemblance to the beloved icons, it might as well be titled Complete Arsehole v Hateful Dickhead. I thought Man of Steel was dour and joyless, boy howdy, that film was like Blazing Saddles compared to this. It's like they went through frame by frame and removed all traces of vibrant colour from the print. Scenes flow with little rhyme or reason. Plots are introduced and dropped so quickly you're left wondering if you imagined them. Jesse Eisenberg seems to have been given the brief that the villains in the Batman 1966 show were too underplayed. The musical score is basically that bit in 2001 when they discover the monolith on the moon played on a loop, except for the end when it suddenly turns into shredding guitars that sound like they came from the intro to a 90s cartoon series. It feels like watching a 13 episode mini-series edited down to two and a half hours. It makes Iron Man 2 look like a restrained subtle masterclass in setting up a wider universe.

Bravo Zack Snyder!

PS. I was going to mention that I was shocked that there were about 12 people at my showing tonight. But reading that it's made a gazillion dollars, I guess my cinema was a bit of an anomaly.

The weird thing about this film is that there are elements I quite enjoyed on a base superficial level but overall it's staggeringly incoherent. The editing is incredibly amateurish.  So many occasions where it will cut away from a scene where nothing of import has actually happened yet to something irrelevant to what is going on at that moment, then cut back to the same scene it had just cut away from to do some exposition.  Bizarre. The nihilism of it is quite strange for a film which is about a kid's character, too. I don't know why someone had the idea of making a film about Superman - essentially a kid's character - all about the futility of heroism, how heroes always turn into fascists and some stuff about god.  Also Eisenberg's performance is hideous.  I didn't understand anything about why Luthor was doing any of the things he was doing either, other than some kind of vague 'wanting to kill god' motivation.

There's like 30 minutes of a really good Batman film in there, though, which is by far the best part of the film.  Until they fuck that up too. Somehow I found it entertaining for about half the time I was watching, and I don't know why.  For this reason I thought it was better than Man of Steel.  Maybe that was, as the half in the bag guys say, down to diminished expectations, or maybe it was just the entertainment of being completely confused.

I hate it.

The chap I went with hated it.

The couple sat next to me hated it.

A random couple on the way out joined in our conversation to express how much they hated it.

Everyone in the queue for parking tickets was talking how they hated it. 

10 hours ago, jon_cybernet said:

Don't worry everyone, this made $424.1 million at the worldwide box office this weekend, so you'll all be relieved to hear that there are plenty more Zack Snyder DC movies to come. Phew! 

I really think a lot of this comes from the public not being able to leave well enough alone. I'm pretty certain that a lot people in this thread who went to see it, went in expecting it to be garbage and discovered that it was garbage. The cinema sold a seat and that translates to a success with the money men. It doesn't matter that you hated it, you went to see it and your presence in the cinema is what counts. 

The only way to stop this happening is not to go. Like with 2010's Pimp, which, whilst nowhere near as high profile, was removed due to abysmal box office takings.

I honestly think a lot of it is because it released over a bank holiday over here. I wasn't planning to see it in the cinema but then 4 days off combined with a film called "Batman vs Superman" being out in cinemas led me to go and give it a try. 

There's also the point that I like to make my own mind up, not just rely on critics. And my ticket was free.

As someone has already said, there will be very little repeat viewings of this. I hope to god the numbers drop off very fast, or as said, it will be seen as a success for the film.

One thing a review can't tell you is whether you'll enjoy a film in spite of its flaws. I enjoyed Man of Steel when many didn't, so I was hoping this would be a similar situation. Also I can't see myself ever passing up a Batman or Superman movie at the cinema.

Anyway it's a bit of a fallacy to blame bad movies on people who go to see bad movies. Even the most disinterested board member at Warner isn't going to assume the movie's launch success is down to its poor quality, and all those tickets sold are going to generate a ton of bad word of mouth. An actually good movie with the same initial success is likely to generate far more money down the line from repeat viewings, rentals, blu-ray sales and all the rest, so it's obviously in Warner's interest to make the best film they can.

Let's not forget as well that Warner want these movies to generate the same built in hype as the Marvel movies. They want people to see this and get excited about Suicide Squad, Wonder Woman and the rest and be frothing at the bit to see everything come together for Justice League. As it stands, BvS is likely to just put people off the whole thing.

I was going to post that you've all only got yourselves to blame for the ongoing terrible state of these films, but it seems this last page got there first.

We don't because we don't have direct creative input into what gets made. But we do have a platform on which to voice opinions and effect the film's overall box office. If enough people come out of Batman Vs Superman and consequently dislike it enough to the point that there is enough noise about it enough casual moviegoers, who go to see films as much as a social habit as they do out of love for any particular franchise, will be swayed against buying a ticket. Someone will then take notice because the balance sheet will be shorter than anticipated. BVS needs to make about $500m just to break even, which it will but word of mouth is already poor, meaning the billion, and decent profit, that Warner execs likely eyed is not going to happen on theatrical take alone.

Tentpole blockbusters are the biggest part of the film business. There's good, bad, downright ugly and the Transformers franchise. Batman Vs Superman, which I've not yet seen but will do so because I want to fully form my own opinion on it and did get some enjoyment from Man of Steel, sounds like it falls in one of the middle two categories. However, in the last few years Warner has also distributed The Lego Movie, Inception, Nolan's Batman trilogy, and the staggeringly good Mad Max: Fury Road. Clearly they can't get everything right, but they do have successes and when they see opinions damaging margins of particular films there will likely be reviews as to why so they can strive for more successes than failures because if they don't they won't make too many more movies. I wouldn't be surprised at all to read of fallout caused by this film causing a rethink to how future films in their DC universe are subsequently managed, which in itself can hopefully be a positive.

I'd be amazed if half of joe public know the difference between a marvel and DC character anyway, it's just a different bloke in a different suit. 

As long as comic book movies are popular (and it seems they will be for a long time as there's no fucking end in sight) the studios will continue to make them. Remember Iron Man 3 made 500million dollars off the back of an abysmal second movie.

Iron Man 3 made $500 million off the back of The Avengers, a critical and commericial smash which was at that point the third most successful film of all time.  If it had simply followed on from Iron Man 2 it would have been at least moderately less successful.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

There's a bit in this that confused me.

Hide contents

Broody angsty Superman (as juxtaposed to broody angsty Batman) talks about only becoming Superman because it wa his father's dream. Hang on sociopathic Pa Kent from MoS who wanted to let a bus full of children drown and got deliberately let himself get sucked up into a tornado. That father?

Then just in case you forgot Pa Kent is a dickhead he pops up later in the film with a Silence of the Lambs style monologue about drowning horses.

There was one of those shitty meerkat adverts before the film showing little kids queuing to watch the film, all excited and dressed as Batman and Superman. I couldn't help imagining them staggering out of this nearly three hour dirge. "Daddy, daddy will you buy me the Lego Pa Kent drowning horses play set and the Lex Luthor action figure with jar of piss accessory.

Spoiler

Not Pa Kent, Jor-El. He basically tells Clark Kent to become a hero and about five minutes later he's out rescuing cats from trees in a blue onesie.

So although he still thinks of Ma Kent as his mother he's clearly written Pa Kent out of the picture entirely in favour of a computer ghost from another planet.