Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Official Server: Moogle)

mercenarri

They've basically never had the server populations we've seen. I've spent a lot of time on their servers this weekend.

Just to make the queuing (Or not queuing) process especially grim sometimes you'll actually get put in a queue....and then have your excitement killed as it boots you out with the "Server is full lol" error message seconds later.

Early access is one thing, but if SE don't sort this shit out ASAP, they are going to suffer big time in the reviews and public perception. The opening few weeks are so, so crucial for an mmo now - it's make or break, live or die territory - and people will not pay for subs on a product they have no confidence in. Most review sites do 'review in progress' style reviews for MMOs nowadays on the understanding it takes time to get an accurate perception but if they can't even get in to play, they will not be kind.

Got bored trying to login and decided to see if there are any servers open for new characters. As I write this there are zero NA/EU servers available for creating new characters. On launch day. I think Anarchy Online aside this qualifies as one of the worst MMO launches ever.

Which is a fucking shame because the game is really fun.

But I bet most people got onto a server during P4 or EA, which imo takes it away from being the worst ever. It's not quite like no one at all can play.

Apart from the first day of EA with the emergency maintenances it's been pretty great for me. No lag or anything!

Best launch ever!

Annoyances:

Why can't I jump off high walls? Why is there invisible barriers stopping me from doing so, even though it wouldn't kill me? And even if it did kill me, you should let me do it.

Similarly, why can't I swim? Why can't I jump into that beautiful ocean you've taken the trouble to put there? Why tease me with an great big expanse of water, inviting, cool, only to put invisible walls in the way?

Why can't I whisper people when they're in a duty finder thing? Is my whisper really that much of an annoyance that the game arbitrarily decides that no, I am not allowed to speak?

Well as someone who bought it today as a new player I can't get in and have not been able to even create a character for 7 hours of trying. Its really quite depressing.

I have waited for this new version for 18 months, and avoided the beta as I wanted to wait for the fixed game. As someone who loved FFXI, I was really hoping this "fixed" version would be great.

I'd even accepted I'd be on a different server to my friends and might have to move server at a later date, I was thoroughly expecting a 2 hour wait to get on my server. In short I was expecting the issues that WOW, Old Republic, LOTRO, GW2's and Terra all had.

I was expecting DC's, I was expecting long waits to get on servers, I was expecting the normal highs and lows of a new MMO.

I was not expecting a total inability to even create a character on a single European or USA realm.

I really hope people are having fun and I can be patient and will wait, but I do feel very bad for anyone who bought this today. Its quite simply unplayable in its current state, in fact I can't even create a character is a farce.

Hope you are all having fun and I can't wait to see you online soon. Just a bit upsetting after getting excited over finally playing and all I can do is mess about with the appearance on my avatar.

I find it at the bottom right hand of my screen. :) With my eyes!

Or. Like I said about 5 posts ago, it's an instant join when you are a tank or healer. Anything other than that then you tend to have a wait. From anything like 15 mins to 40 mins. Have you tried selecting all languages to increase your chances? Or sticking with just English?

Welcome to being dps. It's simply a case of there being vastly more people that want to do damage instead of heal or tank so you have to wait.

The invisible walls thing is probably my biggest complaint with the design of the game overall. I don't really care about swimming as I don't think it adds anything but running into a wall somewhere where you should be able to go is annoying. I just want another world like Azeroth was where you felt you could go anywhere and the places you couldn't it was either a big cliff or drowning that was stopping you. Having said that though it doesn't feel like swtor or warhammer did to me like the world is just a big funnel and I guess for this reason I don't mind being sent off to places far away or back to zones you've already been to click on something. It at least keeps them busy instead of do your quests and then leave a zone never to think of it again.

I'm very much enjoying tanking again too. After getting fed up with the instance runs in wow and threat being of no importance it's good having to keep an eye on multiple mobs while balancing my MP and weaving in other abilities. Sadly after getting my Paladin soul i've yet to use it in an instance as it gives me no benefit currently. I end up losing survivability because i'm using some PUG and LNC cooldowns that i'm not allowed in my Job.

You obviously hadn't been following the thread over the weekend before you decided to part with cash, then!

Your probably right Shark, I had read the thread all weekend and was aware it was bad. But it did appear that though many people couldn't get on the same server i.e. Moogle you could at least get onto one.

I'm just a bit upset not being able to enjoy the fun with everyone tonight, I'm sure it will be fine by the weekend. Just never experienced not being able to create a character before. Even in the bad days of star wars you could join some weird Russian server and at least experience the game.

I'll stop moaning, this should be a thread of awesome new pictures, of new characters having EPIC ADVENTURES. Not some miserable old bugger complaining about logging on :-)

I'll just go back to working out what roles I want to level. Have fun and adventure well!

It is pretty bad. Imagine buying cod at launch and not getting online. I think il change my character to some sort of tank. Which do people recommend? Id like something that is fairly simple to play as due to the ps3 pad.

I really wish this launched with the ps4

Huh. I created a character and tried to start on Moogle, but it said the realm was full and plonked me onto US Lamia. I guess I'm stuck there until we get transfers. I mean, I don't want to go through the whole character creation process again only to get assigned somewhere random.

Performance on PS3 ain't great.

Huh. I created a character and tried to start on Moogle, but it said the realm was full and plonked me onto US Lamia. I guess I'm stuck there until we get transfers. I mean, I don't want to go through the whole character creation process again only to get assigned somewhere random.

Performance on PS3 ain't great.

That happened to Mssanj! She's on Fairie now instead and I think will keep trying for Moogle.

Your probably right Shark, I had read the thread all weekend and was aware it was bad. But it did appear that though many people couldn't get on the same server i.e. Moogle you could at least get onto one.

I'm just a bit upset not being able to enjoy the fun with everyone tonight, I'm sure it will be fine by the weekend. Just never experienced not being able to create a character before. Even in the bad days of star wars you could join some weird Russian server and at least experience the game.

I'll stop moaning, this should be a thread of awesome new pictures, of new characters having EPIC ADVENTURES. Not some miserable old bugger complaining about logging on :-)

I'll just go back to working out what roles I want to level. Have fun and adventure well!

Oh I totally get where you're coming from - I want to make a new Roegadyn guy as that was always my plan, but I've been locked into playing grumpy face up there because it won't let me make any new dudes on the server. As a direct result, I'm only half-arsing the levelling as I don't want to burn out on the already terrible starting zones before I get a chance to make a new guy.