The Great British Bake Off

Nespresso

p02y7lkd.jpg

I'm sorry but I've only just discovered this and it's great isn't it? Both the British and Dutch versions are being aired here now and while I haven't seen the Dutch version this is quality TV! Nowadays I hardly ever watch 'regular' TV, let alone wax lyrical about a cooking show but here I am, making a thread about one.

Compared to pretty much all of the other cooking shows it's just such a joy to watch. There's no hyper ADD editing along with a apocalyptic world-ending soundtrack. No annoying judges (that take themselves way too seriously) or contestants that treat others as shit when they're about to use an oven or something. Instead you still get a fast-paced show but treated so much better. There are smiles on people's faces throughout, the presenters aren't complete knobheads but are actually quite entertaining, the contestants get a lot more time to make whatever they're making a success and they aren't constantly lined up as if they are about to be shot. Overall it's just straight up comfort viewing. Heh, you even get a bit of history every now and then (I've only seen two episodes so I wouldn't know if that occurs throughout the series).

Plus it makes me super hungry. God damn that bread episode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First couple of weeks, I didn't mind Ruby and her complete lack of self-confidence. Now it is so bloody annoying.

Annoyed to lose Beca this week. She was fun. You know that on a night out she'd be the one necking vodka shots and dancing on a table.

Put right off the final now as I can't stand Ruby or Kimberly and I can't see the other woman winning it.

If anyone wants a laugh it's worth downloading the Australian version, I think there are plenty of people here who could out-bake most of them.

You mean Kimberly seems nice in that short skirt, bending over to put cake in the oven?

And Paul Hollywood's letching over Ruby has ruined this series - it's so biased towards her, with her getting loads of screen time, her constantly whining and moping and making it pretty bloody obvious which cake is hers in the blind test.

I can't get behind baking, it's just not that compelling tv for me. But then I love Masterchef (especially professional) so much.

In fact, Roux is presenting a doc on Escoffier tonight at 10pm on BBC4 I think.