IGNORED

The Great British Bake Off

Nespresso

Right, I have a very important question that’s been bugging me for the last few series of this. Every episode the contestants (and I think presenters and judges) are wearing the same clothes for the whole weekend. I presume that this is for continuity reasons so they can use shots as and when they need to. So is it:

A.  The production staff wash all the clothes overnight and present them clean, dry and pressed ready for the showstopper?

B.  They have a budget to buy everyone 2 identical outfits for each week?

C.  The contestants are minging in stinky sweaty clothes by the end of day 2?

These are the things that keep me up at night. 

I get really annoyed by making them do chocolate or stuff that wilts in the heat in a boiling hot tent with no a/c - its just a false stupid hazard to add in that doesn't help find the best person.

No judgements on Kimjoy but there is something about her that seems really weird, like an early Westworld AI android test somebody is doing, she'd fail a Turing test I reckon. 

4 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

Right, I have a very important question that’s been bugging me for the last few series of this. Every episode the contestants (and I think presenters and judges) are wearing the same clothes for the whole weekend. I presume that this is for continuity reasons so they can use shots as and when they need to. So is it:

A.  The production staff wash all the clothes overnight and present them clean, dry and pressed ready for the showstopper?

I said exactly the same thing last week to my missus. She just rolled her eyes at me. But how does it work??! They didn’t do that on earlier series. 

5 hours ago, Gigawatt said:

I vote A.

10 hours ago, Gotters said:

I get really annoyed by making them do chocolate or stuff that wilts in the heat in a boiling hot tent with no a/c - its just a false stupid hazard to add in that doesn't help find the best person.

Yeah it really is stupid asking them to do things that require the chocolate to be the centrepiece of anything they do. If they're going to be doing chocolate they need blast some aircon in there.

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

I vote A.

Yeah, I agree.  Well, not that it is the camera operator who is washing the clothes by hand but that they have a external firm which comes in, does all the laundry and then returns them to the contestants on Sunday morning.  Doesn't sound like any kind of impossible task to pull off. It might even be the hotel they stay at that do it. 

• 2 weeks later...

what a pointless exercise this weeks show was - sure I get that some people choose to eat crap vegan cakes or some people have allergies, but a proper cake has eggs/butter etc in it

its an artificial restriction, in a show supposedly about excellence you should be using the best ingredients for the job, not some awful shit substitute that people with no taste buds will swear 'you really can't tell the difference'

16 hours ago, Gotters said:

what a pointless exercise this weeks show was - sure I get that some people choose to eat crap vegan cakes or some people have allergies, but a proper cake has eggs/butter etc in it

its an artificial restriction, in a show supposedly about excellence you should be using the best ingredients for the job, not some awful shit substitute that people with no taste buds will swear 'you really can't tell the difference'

I can only assume you've never eaten a good quality vegan cake. And that the judges were lying about enjoying them, or maybe they have no tastebuds either!

Lots of baked goods and pastries have traditionally never been made with eggs or dairy anyway, and ones that usually are like sponge cakes can be very easily adjusted with entirely natural ingredients.

I can't really see what anybody has to complain about, this is such a weird reaction. Has the show never had artificial restrictions put in place to challenge the bakers before? They did a gluten free week once, didn't they - was that also "pointless"? What is the point of the show if not to challenge the bakers?

The show is full of artificial restrictions - gluten free and uncommon flours have been done before, and there are plenty of smaller yet entirely arbitrary restrictions like "you must have sugar work", "you must have three different colours", "your pies must use game" that don't speak to any inate quality every baker must have. Vegan week was no different.

I thought it was an interesting week. Definitely a challenge for the participants. 

Jon was a dead man walking from the first task! Pity he's gone, seemed like a good dude.

Funny how most of the cakes looked a bit sad on the showstopper :lol:

The pavlovas looked lush though!

4 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

I can only assume you've never eaten a good quality vegan cake. And that the judges were lying about enjoying them, or maybe they have no tastebuds either!

Lots of baked goods and pastries have traditionally never been made with eggs or dairy anyway, and ones that usually are like sponge cakes can be very easily adjusted with entirely natural ingredients.

I actually used to run a really big cupcake competition in the city with my sister for a couple of years - we used to get lots of entrants every month, and a few that entered as gluten free or vegan within the given theme  (some were even in business doing exactly this and used the competitions as promos) - they were of course of a wide range in quality but I don't recall anybody other than the people with a dietary need, or who'd made the choice to be vegan, being taken more with the 'restricted' entries over the full ingredient offerings. 

It was more often than not the damning with faint praise of 'these are really good for .....'

If they have a lemon meringue week and people choose to use the egg white substitutes then I'll start to concede there may be a worthwhile alternative. 

Fine to set a task with a recipe which just so happens to be dairy free, just seems a bit odd to me to try and make meringue without egg whites. 

It's a bit like vegetarian food though: it's taken decades to become truly mainstream, and in the top restaurants there is still a heavy emphasis on meat... but there's no denying that it's huge and that it has come a very long way in terms of both quality and taste.

What I'm saying is: if the future is vegan we need to invest in it now by donating one GBBO episode per season.

18 minutes ago, Gotters said:

I actually used to run a really big cupcake competition in the city with my sister for a couple of years - we used to get lots of entrants every month, and a few that entered as gluten free or vegan within the given theme  (some were even in business doing exactly this and used the competitions as promos) - they were of course of a wide range in quality but I don't recall anybody other than the people with a dietary need, or who'd made the choice to be vegan, being taken more with the 'restricted' entries over the full ingredient offerings. 

It was more often than not the damning with faint praise of 'these are really good for .....'

If they have a lemon meringue week and people choose to use the egg white substitutes then I'll start to concede there may be a worthwhile alternative. 

Fine to set a task with a recipe which just so happens to be dairy free, just seems a bit odd to me to try and make meringue without egg whites. 

Why is Lemon meringue week ok but not Vegan week?