The Great British Bake Off

Nespresso

2 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

I’ve been in branches of Sports Direct with more character.

Also I can’t believe Laura made the final over Hermine. She was fucking atrocious.

Also they somehow thought her mirror glaze could be blamed on the weather - it was totally shit from the moment she made it and baking in the Arctic would have made no difference to it's chances of setting. 

A truly appalling standard of baker for the final. Only Peter has been anything above average on a consistent basis. If Laura wins it would be a complete travesty. 

People have gone a bit weird with the show this year. The vitriol is high for a feel good show about amateur bakers. I'm enjoying it as usual. The baking tasks are a bit harder than normal, leading to some unnecessary manufactured drama, but that's my only complaint.

one of the issues with all of these elimination type shows is you often just have to not be totally shit to make the latter stages, as somebody will normally self destruct most weeks and average is enough to have a long run, but it normally won't get you to the final.

the problem with this year is that standard has been pretty poor on this allowing a competent but unspectacular baker like Laura to make the final - Hermine has clearly been better overall but if judging on the single week there wasn't a lot to claim she deserved to stay in for, it seemed to boil down to they both were shite but Laura's showstopper tasted OK, despite looking like a special effect from The Thing or Alien.

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

one of the issues with all of these elimination type shows is you often just have to not be totally shit to make the latter stages, as somebody will normally self destruct most weeks and average is enough to have a long run, but it normally won't get you to the final.

the problem with this year is that standard has been pretty poor on this allowing a competent but unspectacular baker like Laura to make the final - Hermine has clearly been better overall but if judging on the single week there wasn't a lot to claim she deserved to stay in for, it seemed to boil down to they both were shite but Laura's showstopper tasted OK, despite looking like a special effect from The Thing or Alien.

It looked like Uncle Frank’s slowly re-composing gelatinous form in the first Hellraiser movie. 

5 hours ago, Gotters said:

That's a bit unfair. It's always been the case. Consistency should be rewarded. That's why they test different stuff each week. If someone fucks up the week making pies then they should be up for the chop, no matter how good their cakes were. Same here where Hermine was in the week she should have been strongest and wasn't ... and in the end made something that didn't taste nice. Laura's did. If you could taste it too, you'd probably make the same decision. 

This season has felt a bit like they wanted to avoid criticism from the gammons, either that or Paul & Pru need some of that unconscious bias training.

The judging decisions, from the first week, have been odd and they haven't even followed their own logic - with the justifications used in previous rounds not applied subsequently.

18 hours ago, ckny said:

Hermine going was an absolute joke. Laura has been dogshit. Every single week in the ‘next time’ preview there’s a shot of her fucking something up.

She probably has a stormer in the final and the editing is just laying the groundwork for a plucky underdog story. Except that’s undermined by everyone else struggling.

I hope all three save their best for last, and they’re actually given a technical that isn’t a total prick in terms of timing.

Watching calamities just isn’t Bake Off. The Repair Shop on the beeb is a good example of the wholesome vibe this series is missing. Just dedicated people doing stuff really well. Hopefully next the season will be a bit more considered, and be able to be filmed under normal conditions too.

4 hours ago, glb said:

She probably has a stormer in the final and the editing is just laying the groundwork for a plucky underdog story. Except that’s undermined by everyone else struggling.

I hope all three save their best for last, and they’re actually given a technical that isn’t a total prick in terms of timing.

Watching calamities just isn’t Bake Off. The Repair Shop on the beeb is a good example of the wholesome vibe this series is missing. Just dedicated people doing stuff really well. Hopefully next the season will be a bit more considered, and be able to be filmed under normal conditions too.

Not a hope, I'm afraid. The Junior Bake Off is closer in spirit to old bake Off and far more enjoyable these past few years.

On 21/11/2020 at 17:07, ckny said:

Hermine going was an absolute joke. Laura has been dogshit. Every single week in the ‘next time’ preview there’s a shot of her fucking something up.

Lottie shouldn't have gone in her duel with Laura either - she got through for <reasons>. I'm not sure presenting food that looks atrocious but tastes nice is in the spirit of the show, and hers has looked consistently bad.

In terms of the final:

Spoiler

I actually feel for Dave and don't really get the point of bothering with the first 2 challenges if they are going to then ignore that completely and claim it came down to a dodgy choux pastry. Dave was certainly poor for a lot of the series, but really picked it up in the past few weeks, whilst Peter had been good, then a bit rubbish, then got star baker. But both his signature and technical were worse than Dave's, but seemingly that doesn't count for jack.

I've been watching a lot of Australian Masterchef (I'm currently a season behind, so no spoilers for season 11 please!) and that is a much more consistently judged affair - you cook a dish, you are judged on a dish. None of this cook multiple things and we'll pick one of them to judge you on.

This was the first series I've seen since the C4 move (partly because I don't like Noel Fielding nor any of the other co-presenters he's had) and even ignoring the little "comedy" moments (which are without exception cringeworthy), the show just doesn't have that comforting, homely feel that Mel & Sue brought to it - plus those little education bits they did too (which obviously is a victim of a compressed runtime due to adverts). Not sure I'll be back for season 12.

41 minutes ago, Fierce Poodle said:

Well that was deeply underwhelming. I think I’m done with this series, it just seems to have lost what was fun about it in the first place. Or maybe I’m just a miserable cynical twat.

Don’t think you’re being miserable, this season was pretty much underwhelming throughout.

In previous seasons the presentation of bakes alone has been far superior. Will give this season’s contestants some benefit of the doubt because the conditions weren’t ideal. Yet very little this series stood out.

Like him usually but Matt Lucas just isn’t the right fit either. The show needs a gentle approach, not look-at-me theatrics.

2 hours ago, Gabe said:
Spoiler

But both his signature and technical were worse than Dave's, but seemingly that doesn't count for jack.

Spoiler

I had Peter's signature down as better than Dave's but there wasn't much to choose between them. Felt that either could have been a deserved winner on the day.

Definitely agree though that the standard has been lower than recent years. Hopefully that's more down to Covid reducing the pool of available bakers, rather than anything more damaging to (or by) the show.

There have been bakers who didn't win in the past who'd have smashed this year's cohort out of the tent.